Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide estuary

Options
  • 10-09-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi just looking on information on hunting on the malahide estuary I'm currently applying for the fauna foreshore licence and just wondering how it goes regarding shooting in this location if anyone knows cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

It's a difficult one, check the NPWS for the areas of conservation and sanctuaries. I renewed my foreshore licence this year and as previously posted here it has changed. Your required to name exact locations as opposed to general areas such as North County Dublin.
    Regards actual shooting it took local knowledge for me to find some sweet spots and where to stay away both for safety and common courtesy to the non shooting public. What i will say is that it can be a busy spot on a windy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Keith2828

It's a difficult one, check the NPWS for the areas of conservation and sanctuaries. I renewed my foreshore licence this year and as previously posted here it has changed. Your required to name exact locations as opposed to general areas such as North County Dublin.
    Regards actual shooting it took local knowledge for me to find some sweet spots and where to stay away both for safety and common courtesy to the non shooting public. What i will say is that it can be a busy spot on a windy night.

Okay it's never as simple as black and white unfortunately, would their be certain times designed for shooting in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Keith2828 wrote: »
    .....would their be certain times designed for shooting ..?

Yep, best time is when the ducks are about.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Make sure you know your quarry well. Malahide Estuary is winter home to large flocks of protected Brent Geese and many other protected species.

Make sure you know your quarry well. Malahide Estuary is winter home to large flocks of protected Brent Geese and many other protected species.

Thank you for your input more or less to narrow it down I'd need to get someone with me who knows the ins an outs of it then but to find someone to do that would be slim chance haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

Keith2828 wrote: »
    Hi just looking on information on hunting on the malahide estuary I'm currently applying for the fauna foreshore licence and just wondering how it goes regarding shooting in this location if anyone knows cheers

Broadmeadows estuary . the inner part where the birds breed now was the traditional spot.Have a look on Google maps for the motorway bridge of the m1 going over the estuary.
    Lots of people feeding ducks swans etc..lots of dog walkers. .lots of potential hassle

Not what it once was for shooting.

Be very careful of protected birds

p28559 wrote: »
    Broadmeadows estuary . the inner part where the birds breed now was the traditional spot.Have a look on Google maps for the motorway bridge of the m1 going over the estuary.
    Lots of people feeding ducks swans etc..lots of dog walkers. .lots of potential hassle

Not what it once was for shooting.

Be very careful of protected birds

Okay thank you just sounds like a lot of unwanted hassle in general so haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

30 years ago a friend of mine was out shooting duck on the estuary one evening. Unusually he was on his own. When he came back to his car he put the gun in the boot and walked round to the door, and then 2 lads in balaclavas jumped out on him with a pistol and took his car and gun. I haven't gone shooting there since.

Advertisement