Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People constantly ringing door bell in Maynooth

Options
  • 10-09-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all

Wondering if anyone else in the Maynooth area is experiencing this - we've been renting a house in maynooth for less than a year, we are both from other parts of the country so have no relatives and few friends in the area, and those we know would ring or text or arrange to call in.

Recently our door bell keeps ringing. It's during weekdays mostly Mondays as I work from home and on the weekends and late on a Sunday night. Some one ringing aggressively 3 and 4 times it's becoming unsettling. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you answer the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's a dopy kid in each generation of every town land and parish who thinks they're the first genius to ever come up with this prank.

Two options.

A. Ignore. They'll go away eventually.
    B. Can't advocate it here. Would stop it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Craicho5

Did you answer the door?

No, obviously not as we are concerned about security. We are two young females and do not want to leave ourselves open to any potential danger, not to sound sexist at all, it can come in all shapes and sizes. We're just less equipped for self defence given our stature!

Hence this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Disable the doorbell. No point in having it if you aren't going to answer the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a door bell camera.

When you press it records or eben shows a live picture on your phone.

If its at same times why not disable the bell or sit in a hedge and wait.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,047 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If its ringing in daylight hours and you don't want to answer it, look out from an upstairs window to see who it is. You don't even have to open the window. Alternatively open the window, ask them who they are, what they want, and tell them you're not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Nic Nac.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Nic Nac.

Paddy wack

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Disable the door bell.

Haven't had a door bell for ten years. People ring me from outside and I know who they are.

Surely it is that simple?

Get a door bell camera.

When you press it records or eben shows a live picture on your phone.

If its at same times why not disable the bell or sit in a hedge and wait.

Good idea (about the camera). Haha maybe I'll try the hedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stick a security chain on. B+Q do them for less than a tenner. Anyone with a screwdriver will fit it in less than 10 mins. Now you can open the door to anyone you want. To be honest if both of you won't open the door to anyone at the minute because you think every single caller is a rapist/sex criminal then the problem lies a bit deeper again.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Stick a security chain on. B+Q do them for less than a tenner. Anyone with a screwdriver will fit it in less than 10 mins. Now you can open the door to anyone you want. To be honest if both of you won't open the door to anyone at the minute because you think every single caller is a rapist/sex criminal then the problem lies a bit deeper again.

Thanks for the advice. That's certainly not the main concern at all. It's more the fact that no one knows us or the we live here so why would there be so many callers.

Our neighbours had a break in recently so we are more concerned about security and people calling to get a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

How do you get Maximus deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Craicho5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. That's certainly not the main concern at all. It's more the fact that no one knows us or the we live here so why would there be so many callers.

Our neighbours had a break in recently so we are more concerned about security and people calling to get a look in.

As the previous poster said, get a security chain fitted and answer the door.

One way burglars check to see if a house is empty, is to ring the doorbell or knock. If no one answers, they will be around the back and in the window.

Not trying to scare you, just making you aware especially as the days get shorter.

This happened to me by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Loads of callers. People collecting for charities. Councillors looking for votes. Energy providers looking you to change to them. Cold callers selling services (gardening etc). Kids messing. Ticket sellers. Not everyone is a burglar!!

Could always be this guy spotted in the area selling balloons....

https://i.redd.it/1xit1x9pzdty.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm not quite sure how you ring a doorbell aggressively.

but as others said there are plenty of cold callers going around - Amnesty were going around two weeks ago. The energy providers regularly. And expect canvassers over the next few months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

I'd imagine constant persistent ringing of the bell can be aggressive especially late at night.

Unlikely to be people selling things or looking for votes on a Sunday night. Take the security measures mentioned above and see what happens.

Do you know any of your neighbours at all or is there any form of residents committee? You could check if others are having similar experiences/ or may have had them.

Check the local community or church newsletters etc to see if there's is any mention of a similar issue. You may have to check the paper version of these as not everything may be on-line.

Make a note of when and how often it happens as you may need it if there turns out to be something more sinister going on. If you can't get to the root of the problem pretty soon, report it to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

You said you're renting so don't fit a security chain to the door without talking to your landlord first - they may be fine with it or they may take serious issue with you drilling holes in the door without permission. Check first, in the interests of your deposit.

Security chains have their uses but if you're two women and anxious about opening the door at night, then personally I would prefer a sensor light and a spyhole type viewer in the door and/or a camera that covers all of the porch area. Chains can be kicked in and I'd rather clearly see who's out there before opening the door at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Craicho5 wrote:
    Good idea (about the camera). Haha maybe I'll try the hedge.

Get a ring doorbell

Look at them on the internet of things iot forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

OP what part of maynooth are you living in? The potential answer to your problem could vary significantly depending on which estate you're in!

Orion wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure how you ring a doorbell aggressively.

but as others said there are plenty of cold callers going around - Amnesty were going around two weeks ago. The energy providers regularly. And expect canvassers over the next few months too.

Aggressively is probably the wrong word, persistently maybe? Ringing 3 4 5 times in succession.

I know there are cold callers, but at 10 o'clock on a Sunday night? I really just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same experience, not loads of smart comments.

Thanks for letting me know about canvassers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Had some lad selling tickets on Saturday around 9pm, thought it was strange, I watched him go to 3 houses, just plain odd so late on a Saturday though.

Radio5 wrote: »
    I'd imagine constant persistent ringing of the bell can be aggressive especially late at night.

Unlikely to be people selling things or looking for votes on a Sunday night. Take the security measures mentioned above and see what happens.

Do you know any of your neighbours at all or is there any form of residents committee? You could check if others are having similar experiences/ or may have had them.

Check the local community or church newsletters etc to see if there's is any mention of a similar issue. You may have to check the paper version of these as not everything may be on-line.

Make a note of when and how often it happens as you may need it if there turns out to be something more sinister going on. If you can't get to the root of the problem pretty soon, report it to the Gardai.

That's what I was thinking about that time of night. Thank you for the advice, I do know the neighbours so I'll definitely ask them and check around to see if there's anyone else having the issue

Thanks again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is it Airtricity and the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Disconnect your doorbell :) I did this after our child was born... sick of constant cold call sales people waking him etc..

Put notice on door.

No sales or cold callers.

I will not answer thank you for leaving me in peace......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Aggressively is probably the wrong word, persistently maybe? Ringing 3 4 5 times in succession.

I know there are cold callers, but at 10 o'clock on a Sunday night? I really just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same experience, not loads of smart comments.

Thanks for letting me know about canvassers.

Didn't mean to be smart about it - it was just an odd choice of word.

10pm on Sunday is not salespeople. But could be canvassers - prolifers do call at odd times although the general rule of thumb is to stop by 9pm at the latest.

Could it just be someone looking for the previous tenant?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

TV License Inspector/previous tenant looking for mail/neighbour trying to tell you about something in your estate to look out for would be my guess.

Maybe the ring at 10pm as they have called at other times and they were ignored. Maybe they ring three or four times as they have

But just answer the door. Or don't. Or spend money to see what's outside your door. One guaranteed way will make them stop ringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Just look out the upstairs window. Also shout "fub off and stop bothering us".

Advertisement