Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Hockey Clubs for kids?

• 10-09-2017 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭

Looking to see what the options are around for kids / underage hockey in the area?
    Contacts / suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think Bray Hockey Club is the nearest one ? Apologies if there's one in Greystones that I'm not aware of.

They are brayhockeyclub.ie and @BrayHC on Twitter. I think they use Templecarrig for training quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greystones Hockey Club: https://www.facebook.com/Greystoneshc/

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭setanta1000

Bray Hockey Club uses the hockey pitch in Loretto Bray - 2016 / 2017 underage training has already started

Greystones Hockey Club has previously used Templecarrig hockey pitch but 2016 / 2017 underage training has not yet started with no start date agreed as of yet, and no guarantee that Templecarrig will be used again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

thanks all ,cant see anything on the greystones HC facebook group which is a bit ominous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

GHC have been very slow to update parents in the lead up to the new season. It doesn't look too good and could end up with a lot of kids joining Bray instead and more kids being disappointed.

• Advertisement

Just for info; if anyone is reading this thread with kids looking to play hockey in Bray you may want to get your skates on as Bray's closing date for 2016 / 17 was Sept 3rd and any new membership requests after this date are not guaranteed entry (I'm not saying they deffo won't get in, just relaying what was on their website).

Greystones Hockey was never the best organised anyway but this year's delay is laughable and can't be down to just poor comms - in the end it's the kids that will loose out because even if GHC does actually go ahead this year will now struggle to get time in the diaries of other clubs for matches.....it sounds like an investigation by the Woodward and Bernstein of Wicklow (The Greystones Guide) might be warranted!

Update - for anyone still interested Greystones Hockey Club has ceased to operate effective immediately.

Copy of email sent to all parents, members and managers is below:

To all  Parents, Members and Managers of Greystones Hockey Club;

It is with great regret that we are sending this email to inform you that
    Greystones Hockey Club will no longer be in operation, with immediate effect.  We apologise for the delay in contacting you all,  but unfortunately and despite massive efforts from Targah and Steve this is not possible to continue, coupled with external personal commitments. [sic]

It has been a pleasure meeting so many people along the way,  nine exciting years in existence from 7 memebers [sic] on our opening day to in excess of 200 Members  in 2016/17.

We would like to take this opportunity to thanks alla [sic] the parents, members, supporters, coaches and Managers for the support we got over the years.   This has not been an easy decision for us to make and was by no means taken lightly.

If you are looking alternative [sic] hockey clubs in the area they would be Other clubs in the area [sic], they would be Bray Hockey Club and Wicklow Hockey Club.

We wish all of you the best for the future,

Taragh Hanley and Stephen McGrath

Grammar nazi [sics] added by me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I have no idea what the politics behind all this is. But I know the population of Greystones is set to exceed Bray, and a lot of public money has been spent around the town in recent years building schools, roads, playgrounds and all those nice facilities up there in Templecarrig.
    So it would be nice if as many people as possible had access to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Shame

I was responsible for dragging along 2 of those original 7 members myself!

Started as a bit of fun just doing blitzes. Then a lot of people seemed to move from Bray in later years and it got more serious. Not sure why the whole club has to fold because Taragh and Steve haven't the time however - with 200 members there should have been plenty of parents available to step up?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Shame

I was responsible for dragging along 2 of those original 7 members myself!

Started as a bit of fun just doing blitzes. Then a lot of people seemed to move from Bray in later years and it got more serious. Not sure why the whole club has to fold because Taragh and Steve haven't the time however - with 200 members there should have been plenty of parents available to step up?
    Imhof - great question and I'm not close enough to the internal machinations of GHC to understand fully but it seems to me (as an outsider and based only on anecdotal evidence) that the majority of parents and clubs members were not aware of what was happening or that the club was on a path to closure and I don't think they were ever given an opportunity to "step up".

There are numerous allegations circulating about the contributing reasons for the club failing including concerns over under age team supervision and finances but regardless of the reasons it is a shame that the club has failed, given the numbers of members and potential for continued growth in Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

it seems to me (as an outsider and based only on anecdotal evidence) that the majority of parents and clubs members were not aware of what was happening or that the club was on a path to closure and I don't think they were ever given an opportunity to "step up".
    Well presumably it is now open to anyone in the wider Greystones community with the necessary experience and interest to start up a new club?

In just over one years time the school itself will start churning out ex-pupil hockey players, but it would be better if a club was already established before that, and if it was open to the whole community and not just the ex-pupils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭REFLINE1

Just get them to take up hurling/camogie! :D /GAA shill!

Further news from this weekend: Bray Hockey Club have stepped in and are helping provide (under their name) structure and coaches for anyone who wants to stay playing hockey in Greystones and have agreed, with Templecarrig School, to rent the hockey pitch for 2017 / 2018.

They have said that unfortunately it is now too late in the season to agree and organise competitive matches within Leinster (as the schedule has already been agreed with all clubs) but that they will try and orgainse blitzes where possible and at the very least keep training for under age groups going for this season.

Kudos to BHC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

recedite wrote: »
    Well presumably it is now open to anyone in the wider Greystones community with the necessary experience and interest to start up a new club?

In just over one years time the school itself will start churning out ex-pupil hockey players, but it would be better if a club was already established before that, and if it was open to the whole community and not just the ex-pupils.

Bray hockey club have kindly stepped in and will start sessions under the BHC umbrella up at Temple Carrig...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Great pics John - are they posted "In Memorium" ?? :) :angel:

Advertisement