Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol discussion [SPLIT POST] [CLOSED]

• 09-09-2017 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

goz83 wrote: »
    I could never understand people throwing a ten or twenty into the tank. I always filled the tank and wouldn't go near the pumps again until I had a quarter or less. Only exception to that rule was if I was going on a very long journey and had less than half a tank. Why would you want to visit a pump anymore than is absolutely necessary.

The more petrol you put in the car the less fuel economy you will get out of it, because the car has to carry the weight of the fuel.

If you want the best bang for your euro than you should put as little pertrol in the car as possible.

A friend of mine who drives alot will never fill up his tank by more than 50% he thinks it's a total waste of money to be carrying around all that unnecessary weight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why are we discussing filling up a petrol tank on a forum about EVs?

Have we gone off on a bit of a tangent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why are we discussing filling up a petrol tank on a forum about EVs?

Have we gone off on a bit of a tangent?

To illustrate how irrational the drivers can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Dr Brown wrote: »
    The more petrol you put in the car the less fuel economy you will get out of it, because the car has to carry the weight of the fuel.

If you want the best bang for your euro than you should put as little pertrol in the car as possible.

A friend of mine who drives alot will never fill up his tank by more than 50% he thinks it's a total waste of money to be carrying around all that unnecessary weight.

I was predicting that response. OK, it's a little extra weight in the tank, but it would make a tiny difference. Making a trip to the pump just to top up an extra 4, or 5 times would surely cancel out any savings one might have made with a little less weight. Not to mention the time wasted doing it...but if you've got nothing better to do, then maybe visiting the pump 4, or 5 times more often than needed seems like a good idea.

Having a near empty tank also increases the chance of contaminants getting into the engine and causing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

goz83 wrote: »
    I was predicting that response. OK, it's a little extra weight in the tank, but it would make a tiny difference. Making a trip to the pump just to top up an extra 4, or 5 times would surely cancel out any savings one might have made with a little less weight. Not to mention the time wasted doing it...but if you've got nothing better to do, then maybe visiting the pump 4, or 5 times more often than needed seems like a good idea.

Having a near empty tank also increases the chance of contaminants getting into the engine and causing problems.

Its no big deal filling up if you pass a garage every day on the way home.

Also its not a little extra weight I remember going from almost zero to a full tank I could feel the car was so much heavier going up a hill it was like I had 2 extra people in the back of the car and I had to push harder on the accelerator to get up the hill.

The same hill was so much easier for my car to get up when my tank was almost zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

uh... lads... model specific EV thread in the EV forum... let's stay OT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I know that and Nissan know that. So it annoys me that they're deliberately misleading the public.

Aren't mpg figures from ICE cars mostly fairy land figures too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Orebro wrote: »
    Aren't mpg figures from ICE cars mostly fairy land figures too?

Driving in Ireland I never had big issues matching them. My soul was crying and wife was wondering when I retired, but they are achievable. And it gets much easier with an automatic, as it eliminates one source of inefficiency.

Depends on the Automatic., automatics work better with more powerful engines that have more torque than some small engine that needs to be driven harder to move, in a manual you can select a higher gear but the auto will most likely keep selecting a lower gear/ratio because it thinks you need to drop a gear based on your throttle position.

A lot of people can't calculate their mpg or L/100 kms accurately and often reset the trip computer multiple times between fill ups. What they should do is only record the mpg just before they fill up and reset it after they fill up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

What they should do is only record the mpg just before they fill up and reset it after they fill up.

Fuelly would be better. Car computer maybe a tad optimistic (mine is out by about 10%)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bp_me wrote: »
    Fuelly would be better. Car computer maybe a tad optimistic (mine is out by about 10%)

Just do the brim method.

Fill tank u too first click of petrol pump.
    Reset odo.
    Drive.
    On next refil, stop at first click.
    Record distance and liters used to fill.

• Advertisement

Yeah I found brim to be not much different at all in the MK II Prius from the trip computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can we try keep this thread to the 2018 Leaf lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm splitting this out... and closing it. this the the EV forum and the wrong thread for this kind of thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement