Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booting AHCI + Legacy. USB external HDD needs restart to be detected?

Options
  • 11-09-2017 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

This is a bit of a weird one. How come my external HDD can't be used unless I restart my computer with it plugged in? I'm running Windows 10 and it's working fine and everything after restarting, but when disconnected and reconnected, it isn't detected. Just tried now and USB sticks do not work either, NTFS or FAT32. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hey guys,

This is a bit of a weird one. How come my external HDD can't be used unless I restart my computer with it plugged in? I'm running Windows 10 and it's working fine and everything after restarting, but when disconnected and reconnected, it isn't detected. Just tried now and USB sticks do not work either, NTFS or FAT32. Any ideas?

Does anything show up in Disk Management (right click start menu button and click Disk Management) when you reconnect it? If it does try right clicking the drive and changing the drive letter. It might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

yoyo wrote: »
    Does anything show up in Disk Management (right click start menu button and click Disk Management) when you reconnect it? If it does try right clicking the drive and changing the drive letter. It might help.

When a drive is plugged in before turning computer on, yes it comes up everywhere. When it's plugged in whlie the computer is on, it doesn't exist anywhere in the computer :(

What's so weird is that I can eject it using one of the icons on the taskbar, but it doesn't show up anywhere else except device manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Did you install all the latest drivers from mobo's website?
    I presume this is with the new mobo you got?

game4it70 wrote: »
    Did you install all the latest drivers from mobo's website?
    I presume this is with the new mobo you got?

I did and yes it is.

Sorry and thank you very much guys. I couldn't be bothered with the crap that was going on anymore so I just reinstalled Windows 10 into UEFI and AHCI. Everything's working now so I assume the issue was regarding the BIOS/OS setup. Currently reinstalling everything but going well so far.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement