Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny 2 Story Discussion and Raid Speculation (SPOILERS Inside)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Forgot to add, the city section at the end was class as well, I was running it with about 5 or 6 other people, felt like a proper assault rather than me one manning it.

that happened as well on my hunter run, two other players running with me, destroyed the game narrative but was actually much better

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Forgot to add, the city section at the end was class as well, I was running it with about 5 or 6 other people, felt like a proper assault rather than me one manning it.

From a story perspective - I find other guardians odd. Aren't we supposed to be the only one to regain their light, we are a chosen one of sorts. At least that is why I assume Zavala, Ikora and Cayde don't have their light back, at least not until we have completed the final mission and the Traveler has come back.

If we are a chosen one, why are there other guardians attacking the city with us (and using their light, so they aren't like Zavala etc). If we aren't a chosen one, and just one of many, what on earth is the actual story of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems Luke Smith has confirmed that the raid level range will be 260-280 so anyone that is a the current soft cap of 265 should be in good stead to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Campaign was very Halo Reach also I thought, which I enjoyed, the art is beautiful though, can finally see now where some of the concept art came to fruition in the story, some of it just looks incredible in parts...

The Almighty was just absolutely amazing.

Almost makes me want to spent a heap ton of cash on a top end PC and monitor to see it at its absolute best. But I absolutely won't be doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The Almighty was just absolutely amazing.

Almost makes me want to spent a heap ton of cash on a top end PC and monitor to see it at its absolute best. But I absolutely won't be doing that.

I downloaded the beta and had it on high (not highest) at 1440p 60fps and it looks stunning...

I'd say the Pro version is roughly high settings but obviously capped at 30fps, even on a 1080p screen with supersampling it looks fantastic....

I saw the standard one running last night and it looks good also, just looks kind of fuzzier...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

From a story perspective - I find other guardians odd. Aren't we supposed to be the only one to regain their light, we are a chosen one of sorts.

If we are a chosen one, why are there other guardians attacking the city with us (and using their light, so they aren't like Zavala etc). If we aren't a chosen one, and just one of many, what on earth is the actual story of the game?

Id put it down to being a design decision - either you force people to play a strictly single player game until they complete the campaign and then overload them with an open world with people everywhere doing stuff, or you have the sort of halfway house we have now, with some story missions being you on your own and some having others drifting in and out. I cant say it bothered me too much either way - its the old school equivalent of a two player game where no one ever acknowledges player 2's very existence.

Id put it down to being a design decision - either you force people to play a strictly single player game until they complete the campaign and then overload them with an open world with people everywhere doing stuff, or you have the sort of halfway house we have now, with some story missions being you on your own and some having others drifting in and out. I cant say it bothered me too much either way - its the old school equivalent of a two player game where no one ever acknowledges player 2's very existence.

I can separate the open world stuff from the main story line in my head (perhaps inconsistent and a bit hypocritical) but I think a narative should remain consistent in the main story missions. If we are supposed to be the only ones with light from a story perspective, we should remain that way in the story, imo. But then I played all of the story co-op so there was ALWAYS another guardian with me!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Am I Failsafe's new captain or is it Cayde? Some of the dialogue in the Exodus Crash strike is very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Am I Failsafe's new captain or is it Cayde? Some of the dialogue in the Exodus Crash strike is very confusing.

You are.

• Advertisement

Continued to fool about in the raid after the lads called it quits.
    The sequence for the switches beneath the spawn is 153246, needs to be done quick enough, the switches should stay down for a second or two if you are doing it in the right order, and in time.

After entering the sequence, you do not get access to chest, not that I could see anyway, but a message will appear, saying "The way is open". This is one of the hidden doorways in the starting area. This specific door can be found at the end of the pipes, that are behind the man cannons.
    Hop onto the two pipes, don't fall into the liquid, you will die. Walk, run, hop,
    jump or skip along, and jump into the darkness, where you can land on some more pipes.

You are now in the underbelly of the Leviathan. Despite the fooling around myself and the lads did, and not finding enemies down there, there actually is in certain areas. Maybe the enemies disappeared from these areas for us originally because of the area we had gotten to.

The underbelly has chests in it that require keys. Other than that it seems that it can be used as a shortcut to certain parts of the raid. We had found a way to the Baths, though I could not find it when going in the proper way as I gave up. I also found a door to lets you into the hallway that brings you into the first area after the opening location...some shortcut. Near to the turn off for this door is another door, which when approached declares its location as Throne.

Where is Dora and her fecking map when you need her?!

Tis quiet here for the morning after a new raid launched. Anyone any thoughts or comments?

PetKing wrote: »
    Tis quiet here for the morning after a new raid launched. Anyone any thoughts or comments?

Didn't watch anything last night. Saw a bit of the Calus checkpoint this morning. The arena looks very similar to Oryx' chamber to me. Looks like they copied it to Paint and filled in a bit of purple.

Also Calus is basically Mr. Toad from Wind in The Willows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

My thoughts on the raid -

Staging area, very straight forward, should cause no difficulties

Bathing pool, once you know the mechanics and have a sound strategy, it's actually super easy

Pleasure gardens, mechanics are very simple but the execution is key. Good comms needed and plenty of patience.

That's as far as we got last night, tiredness and crankyness kicked in and silly mistakes were being made!

Only made it to the gardens ourselves.
    For the LONGEST time thought the prism beam was the weapon for killing dogs. Dawned on us WAY to late to just drop the spores and shoot them with guns - in this gun shooting game.

I reckon a gorgon-esque map will be required for me in that area - I can't keep myself hidden from everything and actually make it to the flowers - especially the one near initial spawn.
    Got crap drops.
    1 good level legendary, nothing else from chests bar tokens. The chest after the second staging area gave me NOTHING AT ALL.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Easiest way to stay hidden is
    move in a group of four and got to as many flowers as you can together with the guys up high calling out where the dogs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

nevelator wrote: »
    Indeed!

Story felt rushed at the end, the final boss was a bit of a letdown. Really liked the mission on The Almighty (still think that is a rubbish name for it).

The Almighty is a stupid name for it tbh. I expected something more bluntly militaristic sounding and less "religious"
    Tis funny to go there now. Watching sub level 20's running around interacting with NPC's that you can't see. So Tyra has the whole place to herself now... Party on girlfriend xoxoxo

Yeah, seems like a wasted space now tbh. Only reason to go their is Exotic Quests for now. Maybe "Factions" will rock up there

Well, we got "guitar" error coded us which booted us all out individually and "reset" our progress (we were at the Bathing Pools), though this may be a mechanic so you have to go through that 1st area every, single time. Now it didn't take long to get back there given we'd worked out the mechanics of how to get in, but it did lead me to promptly rage quit my 540p stream :pac:
    That's as far as we got last night, tiredness and crankyness kicked in and silly mistakes were being made!

Yeah, after 4.5 hours of solid concentration I was completely burned mentally tbh. I just couldn't absorb any more info so we called it a night too as, similarly the mistakes we just getting out of hand across the board
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Easiest way to stay hidden is
    move in a group of four and got to as many flowers as you can together with the guys up high calling out where the dogs are.
    Yeah, we eventually twigged that after much, much, much f**kign around with 2 groups of 2 (which was a communications clusterf**k). I was doing the yellow rugby balls with Terry and the 4 lads were mincing about. And tbh it got WAY easier when Terry got kicked and we proceeded with 5 as the comms just got way less cluttered :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is just frustrating figuring it out, once you understand the mechanics it's actually straightforward enough (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Yeah, after 4.5 hours of solid concentration I was completely burned mentally tbh. I just couldn't absorb any more info so we called it a night too as, similarly the mistakes we just getting out of hand across the board

I had 378 minutes on my stream counter by the time i cancelled it. It is a mental amount time to be playing, i timed all our breaks and it accounted for just over 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I had 378 minutes on my stream counter by the time i cancelled it. It is a mental amount time to be playing, i timed all our breaks and it accounted for just over 30 minutes.

To be honest, the actual time itself doesn't bother me. Have often spent the bones of 5+ hours on Kings Fall (for a variety of reasons over the years, including us getting mouldy drunk) it's just we had 6 very eager characters eagerly talking about all our individual ideas, changes, strats, deaths, success, swaps etc and overall the part of my brain that was trying to digest all that just went "no more" around 11:00pm

Now, in saying that, that has always been the case when you are trying a blind run in my experience and you're iterating on the strategy constantly.
    Had a pretty heated moment where I was trying to sell the virtues of using Low Impact Fusion Rifles on a type of Major Enemy that was probably a badly delivered piece of advice at the time amongst all the random shouting and joking and waxing lyrical :P
    But nobody was harmed and overall, I was happy with the progress we made in the given time frame (we started at 6:30pm)

I always felt this Raid was going to be pretty mechanic heavy as since CE and PoE Bungie seem to want to avoid the ~20 speed runs where possible. I was predicting this raid was gonna be longer than VoG and WotM (which are roughly equal) and shorter than KF.
    Now I have no idea how long it is, as we avoided reading or watching any spoilers, so we'll see if that ends up being the case :P

• Advertisement

Down at the Farm last night and I noticed the exo being repaired are wearing Twilight Garrison. Mind=blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Down at the Farm last night and I noticed the exo being repaired are wearing Twilight Garrison. Mind=blown.

The Khovostov is sitting against a rock in the camp on the cliff in the EDZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Now I have no idea how long it is, as we avoided reading or watching any spoilers, so we'll see if that ends up being the case :P

There are actually many hidden passages and short cuts. Some pretty major time saves. We spotted some ourselves and I saw more today on youtube but I'll keep em to myself if people dont want to be spoiled which is understandable.

but it did lead me to promptly rage quit my 540p stream

I was in the crucible, had the stream open but on mute. I looked down between games and saw the group back at the start followed by a swift cut! I wondered what had happened! :D From what I was hearing and reading elsewhere, the debate raged about whether or not checkpoints actually existed. I still don't know??
    awec wrote:
    It is just frustrating figuring it out, once you understand the mechanics it's actually straightforward enough (so far).

Is that not some of the fun though? It's not often you get to raid the giant puzzle and have no idea how to progress. In a few weeks, players will be flying through it on muscle memory having casual chats.

• Story was a bit pants but at least some interesting Characters this time around, but again easily improved over the first one which wasn't hard.
    I'm actually enjoying the quests after end game (Marked as Blue on game map) more so than some of the main campaign missions if I'm being honest. Seems to be more variety in the game-play.

Got through the pleasure gardens last night. We had the idea from the off, but took an age to get execution down.

Worked out the mechanics of the next section relatively quickly but it was late by the time we got to it, so although we figured out what to do we just didn't have the time to get it fully down and done. Reckon it will be a quick enough completion once we get back on to give it a go. Then on to the final boss I guess.

Well - an attempt was made at the final boss.... and 3 hours later we gave up basically no further along. We know what to be doing, but no idea how to (1) stay alive doing it, (2) staying alive consistenly, (3) Doing enough damage to calus himself. Absolute rubbish damage levels on him when we did get shots in.

Also.... the fact there is zero story to that raid is perplexing me.

I mean I guess he is looking to eat nessus and then keep moving towards the galaxy eating planets but it is never actually stated to us.
    So - we arrive at his palace, walk past his guards who don't provoke us at all, steal his staffs, kill guys going for a bathe, kill his dogs, do a few laps, steal a bunch of his stuff - and then, after being invited for a drink having shown him how talented we are, we shoot that drink out of his hand and try (and fail massively in our case) to kill him.

What a bunch of jerks.

Agree the raid is almost like postscript to the story missions.

Really the raid should been about us boarding The Almighty. Stopping Ghaul. No Sun blowing up. Then making it back to the Winchester for a celebratory shandy.

Agree the raid is almost like postscript to the story missions.

Really the raid should been about us boarding The Almighty. Stopping Ghaul. No Sun blowing up. Then making it back to the Winchester for a celebratory shandy.

but then people who can't raid (for whatever reason) don't get a proper end to the the Destiny story. To be fair to all, the story needed to be done in the single player campaign.

• Advertisement

but then people who can't raid (for whatever reason) don't get a proper end to the the Destiny story. To be fair to all, the story needed to be done in the single player campaign.

By that logic if you didn't complete Kings Fall you haven't finished The Taken Story.

Advertisement