Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good cold/wet weather clothing

Options
  • 11-09-2017 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking for some good cycling gear to wear in the cold and wet weather. I have a cheapish waterproof jacket that I got from Decathlon but it does leave me with sweaty arms as I often just wear a normal cotton t-shirt underneath. Not sure how it will hold up when it's colder as it's not warm material.

Was thinking of wearing some sort of compression top underneath the t-shirt?

Also could do with a good jacket for cycling in bad weather.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Castelli Gabba.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

The gabba is pretty good, as many will attest. Their nanotex arm and leg warmers are very good. Many boardsies like Galibier.cc stuff (don't love it myself). Gore's ONE jacket is hyped, expensive but in my experience very good. Merino beats the pants off cotton as a base layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

I find the galibier stuff to be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Stolen Goat Orkaan
    Found to be superior to Gabba. No DWR losing, better fit and far more warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Gabba best bit of clothing I've ever owned

• Advertisement

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Gabba best bit of clothing I've ever owned

If starts loosing beading properties you basically finish with only windproof jersey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

sin_26 wrote: »
    If starts loosing beading properties you basically finish with only windproof jersey.

Taken care of properly it doesn't lose that and stays good. I was looking at the Orkaan before when it was on offer for 60 quid, but it's always at least twice that now.

I'm ready for the rainfall warning today with my new Galibier Mistral.

If it's dry but very cold the Santini Meridian is the best jacket I have. Santini Guard is also very waterproof, but not as breatheable as others. Both are pricey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The Castelli Gabba is hands down the best bit of cycling kit I've ever owned. I never regret wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only really worn my galibier shorts, but have a mistral lite that is waiting for the rain in the recommended temp range to try it out. My mistral winter bibs arrived yesterday - hopefully a while away from needing them though (got them on the existing customer offer on Friday).

Merino wool is supposed to be the best thing for cold and wet weather as it still keeps you warm when wet. Can't recommend any yet, as it's still on my shopping list (tended to stick with the turbo last winter if it was that miserable!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Miklos wrote: »
    The Castelli Gabba is hands down the best bit of cycling kit I've ever owned. I never regret wearing it.
    Where is the best deal on this these days?

• Advertisement

Where is the best deal on this these days?

Check bargains thread link to gabba 3 should be somewhere on last two pages.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Taken care of properly it doesn't lose that and stays good. I was looking at the Orkaan before when it was on offer for 60 quid, but it's always at least twice that now.

I'm ready for the rainfall warning today with my new Galibier Mistral.

If it's dry but very cold the Santini Meridian is the best jacket I have. Santini Guard is also very waterproof, but not as breatheable as others. Both are pricey enough.

I do wash it in NickWax but its pity to figure it out on some stage that it wont bead water anymore.

I do wash it in NickWax but its pity to figure it out on some stage that it wont bead water anymore.

They recommend ironing it on a low heat or tumble trying it on a low heat to make the DWR material last. I've not had a need yet.

Alternatively the Sportful Fiandre tops are amazing for wet. You think you're wet, but when you take it off it's only the jacket and you're in fact bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

How about waterproof shorts or long 3/4 bottoms that don't let all the road spray soak you through.
    Any recommendations folks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I'm a recent Velotose purchaser and i'm looking forward to wearing them in the winter to keep the cold and wet out. that said, you would want to be really careful in getting them on/off as they rip easy. watch the youtube video on how to out them on correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Do those Gabba jackets fit the larger gentleman? I have a gut that gets in the way.

Had to put my wind cap on this morning under my helmet, definitely felt colder today out there.

I only cycle less than 2 miles each way to work but it's long enough to get drenched if the rain is heavy, like yesterday. I usually only wear a light cotton t-shirt under my current jacket. Probably not great when it's colder and wetter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

veganrun wrote: »
    Do those Gabba jackets fit the larger gentleman? I have a gut that gets in the way.

Had to put my wind cap on this morning under my helmet, definitely felt colder today out there.

I only cycle less than 2 miles each way to work but it's long enough to get drenched if the rain is heavy, like yesterday. I usually only wear a light cotton t-shirt under my current jacket. Probably not great when it's colder and wetter.

Altura jackets are large fitting and very well reviewed - I bought a Nightvision Evo recently and am very please with it - Merlin Cycles have a great deal at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i bought a madison stellar a few weeks ago when cycle superstore had them on offer (60 euro vs 114) - got to say did very well last sunday in the rain.

My waterproof trousers did ok this evening but they're too long but my cycling jacket didn't keep me very warm: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-cycling-jacket-softlime-id_8381753.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

My waterproof trousers did ok this evening but they're too long but my cycling jacket didn't keep me very warm: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-cycling-jacket-softlime-id_8381753.html

It's not designed to keep you warm, you'll need the appropriate number of layers underneath it. After a while commuting you'll get the hang of estimating what you need fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

I've been using that Janet for months and it's been fine but I guess the weather has been warm enough where I didn't need loads of layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gabba (and other cycling jackets) isn't really designed to be worn over normal clothes. For that distance I'd just wear some sort of walking/ski jacket shell thing if it's tipping it down.

Your legs will get soaked anyway. You could get some chaps. :pac:

image_209.png

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Have mine for 3 and half years - hand wash it and always hang it to dry when wet - it's still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lumen wrote: »
    For that distance I'd just wear some sort of walking/ski jacket shell thing if it's tipping it down.
    For that distance I'd hang on for the Aldi autumn cycling specials, that are probably coming soon. They normally have waterproof jackets, trousers and overshoes that are all aimed at commuters (you'd get too sweaty on a longer spin). Can vouch for them on the shorter distances anyway, as they were what I used when I was just starting off. Actually still use the waterproof trousers for hiking!

Also, mudguards people. The rain falling on you is never quite as bad as the wheelspray that soaks you, leaves clothes filthy and gets the feet wetter quicker.

I need some better fitting waterproof trousers. They are just pullover ones and are far too long but it was a bit of a panic buy. Got caught in the rain at least twice this week.

Looks like Aldi’s cycling specials start on Thursday. Pity my nearest one is about 50 miles away!

Hopefully Lidl will have something similar soon.

https://www.aldi.ie/c/specialbuys/dates/2017-09-28?sort=popular&q=:popular:transactionalStatus:transactional:transactionalStatus:nontransactional:Event:Cycling&page=0

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Anyone have a recommendation for something similar to the Gabba that comes in an XS?

Anyone have a recommendation for something similar to the Gabba that comes in an XS?

Gabba's are small fitting. The small might be right for xs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

As a "clydesdale" I find Pearl Izumi and Madison stuff has really good sizing up the ranges and it good quality.

To the OP I would dump the cotton T-Shirt, cheap compression tops from aldi/lidl/wiggle/PlanetX are great. Wiggle/PX commuting gear (dhb for wiggle) is great value for money, Polaris are another website it's good to keep an eye on as they have regular sales of stuff and their jackets are decent value at £80 so a bargain when reduced to £25.

Aim for layers, preferably of stuff that wicks sweat/water away and keeps you warm.

As much as you feel/look a right wally in Lycra there is a good reason all cyclists end up wearing it.

Advertisement