Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank de Boer sacked by Palace

• 11-09-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

First manager sacked and we're only 4 games in.

Frank de Boer is gone.

Roy Hodsgon is favourite to take over, so thats Palace going down regardless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They seemed to play very well over the weekend, so I don't really understand the move. Results poor, but performances improving. Seems short sighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If Hodgson is plan b they're doomed. He's got so little experience in league management, none in recent years, and even less with a relegation dog fight.

Edit: correctly told by other posters he has a shed load of League experience!

Still don't think he's an inspiring choice though, and the one bit I did get right, he has no recent league management at all.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They seemed to play very well over the weekend, so I don't really understand the move. Results poor, but performances improving. Seems short sighted.

Modern football.
    He's a proven manager, even if that is in Holland, seems a little OTT to sack him in the second week of September.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, I've seen some extended highlights before the international break (mainly watching for Loftus Cheek on loan) they dont play too badly but as you said, ther results have been the issue.

Although it was goiong to be close between himself and Bilic as to who was going to get the sack first this year, another poor West Ham result tonight and he could be out on his ear by tomorrow.

If Hodgson is plan b they're doomed. He's got so little experience in league management, none in recent years, and even less with a relegation dog fight.

Ya, Hodgson as plan B is never a good call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Not that shocked, even if I disagree with the decision.

If Scott Dann had buried one of those chances he would have been grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

He was actively trying to change their style of football and it was always going to be a rocky start, 4 losses and not a goal scored is very grim but it seems very short sighted. Then again it's a results based business. Replacing him with the hodge is gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Any links to this? Nothing on BBC or Sky Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

hope it wasn't based on yesterday's result. They were the better side and conceded thanks to a shocking error that a manager can't be held responsible for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Probably the definition of panic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Given time, I reckon theyed have played their way to safety.

They spent about 35m on 2 CBs, and brought ina few loan players, its not totally his squad , 4 games in though and to be turfed out is pretty harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I read this about half an hour ago and now he's sacked?
    In an exchange with supporters on social media following Sunday's 1-0 defeat at Burnley, Parish wrote: "People are frustrated, I'm frustrated, so are the management and players. We know we are better than this..."

Parish also wrote: "We are 4 games in, it's a terrible start but we have to stick together."

In response to one Twitter user who accused him of undermining De Boer and the players, Parish responded: "I think I'm defending everyone at the club who's working their a*** off to turn this round. Football teams lose games it happens."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

10 weeks. How can you get things up and running in 10 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He lasted 3 months at Milan. He does appear quite inept. To have such a short term once is bizarre, to have it twice clearly HE is doing the wrong things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Palace are very direct team and Big Sam was their last manager, but somehow they hired coach who loves possession game and expected instant results. It was a wrong match and ended very early than expected.

I think Hodgson would be a good fit, playing direct football and can finish midtable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

10 weeks. How can you get things up and running in 10 weeks?

Like his spell at inter, he probably joined too late in the summer so never got the full pre season under his belt with the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A not very well thought-out decision.
    Palace play some nice football and could have scored 4 yesterday.
    I think they were coming into a bit of form and this decision will set them back.
    He should have been given more time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ridiculous if true. Far too soon to be making a big decision like that. He needs a bit of time, they've been unlucky, especially yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

pjohnson wrote: »
    He lasted 3 months at Milan. He does appear quite inept. To have such a short term once is bizarre, to have it twice clearly HE is doing the wrong things.

Neither spell he's had is ever going to be enough to develop a team and show whether he's doing it right or wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

His players let him down. How they didn't convert one of the 20 or so chances they made at the weekend is just puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

They've Southampton at home next, at least give him one more game to try and get three points. Its not like they're in danger of going down already, its 4 games into the new season. And Hodgson to take over? Jaysus. Footballing Dinosaur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

He did well enough at Fulham and West Brom. They could do far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

How can you bring in a manager with a known style of football that is so vastly different from what you've been playing lately, and not expect an adjustment period.

Sacked after 4 PL games is the shortest reign of any PL manager ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How can you bring in a manager with a known style of football that is so vastly different from what you've been playing lately, and not expect an adjustment period.

Because you're an idiot. There is no grander explanation. There is also no accountability for those making the decision.

I do think that two incredibly short tenures at Milan and now Palace likely indicate deficiencies in how De Boer gets on. He might be very bad at selling his ideas and methods and poor politically. But the team actually performed very well at the weekend, so this decision makes no sense from a footballing perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

People are so dumb and think so short term.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If Hodgson is plan b they're doomed. He's got so little experience in league management

That's a strange statement about a man who has managed 14 different clubs!

Hodgson is no world beater, but he's shown to be capable enough when it comes to the likes of Fulham and WBA.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really bad idea to sack him, Steve Parish has relegated Palace.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because you're an idiot. There is no grander explanation. There is also no accountability for those making the decision.

I do think that two incredibly short tenures at Milan and now Palace likely indicate deficiencies in how De Boer gets on. He might be very bad at selling his ideas and methods and poor politically. But the team actually performed very well at the weekend, so this decision makes no sense from a footballing perspective.

Bingo the first time I laughed at the mess that Inter were making but to happen AGAIN so soon? In a totally different league at a club with much reduced expectations? de Boer is doing something bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sacked within 90 days at Inter.

Sacked within 90 days at Palace.

Not looking good for him on future job front as a manager.

Sacked within 90 days at Inter.

Sacked within 90 days at Palace.

Not looking good for him on future job front as a manager.
    Punditry/Commentary beckons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Sacked after 4 PL games is the shortest reign of any PL manager ever.

Henning Berg was sacked by Blackburn after 57 days as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

First manager sacked and we're only 4 games in.

Frank de Boer is gone.

Roy Hodsgon is favourite to take over, so thats Palace going down regardless.

Disgrace - hope they go down - deBoer is a good football man - 4 games - they'll bring in a good hoofball merchant, like Alardyce or Pullis , and we'll all then wonder why the quality of the Premiership can be so ****e.

Punditry/Commentary beckons.

Not the best surname for a pundit...

• Advertisement

I dsont envy Hodgson or anyone who takes the job.

Their next 5 games are :

Soputhampton (h)
    Huddersfield (h)
    Man City (a)
    Man Utd (a)
    Chelsea (h)

The Chelsea game is after the international break and as such is a hard to judge but looking at that fixture list, if they have anything more than 3 points on the baord by mid October and that Chelsea game, I'd be shocked.

thebaz wrote: »
    Disgrace - hope they go down - deBoer is a good football man - 4 games - they'll bring in a good hoofball merchant, like Alardyce or Pullis , and we'll all then wonder why the quality of the Premiership can be so ****e.

4 games = 0 goals = good football man?

No prizes for possession. They need a manager who can win. Hodgson can do that.

Theres been shorter reigns by the number of days in the job but none by the amount of games.

Berg had something like a dozen games at Blackburn.

Paalce are also the first side in 90 odd years to not have a point or goal in the first 4 games of the season by any football league side.

The stats are a poor reflection, as PAlace havent played bad but its a result based business unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I kinda liked Crystal Palace but stupid decisions like this will make me feel indifferent should they get relegated now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

4 games = 0 goals = good football man?

No prizes for possession. They need a manager who can win. Hodgson can do that.

yeah good football man - total respect for him and not the idiots that sack him after 4 games - last time Hodgson managed did he not lead England to defeat to the mighty Iceland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

GLaDOS wrote: »
    That's a strange statement about a man who has managed 14 different clubs!

Hodgson is no world beater, but he's shown to be capable enough when it comes to the likes of Fulham and WBA.

Fair comment. Guilty of modern curse of short memory.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

That was in the championship. Not sure why everybody's writing off Palace if Hodgson comes in. Didn't he keep West Brom afloat a few seasons ago after Di Matteo got sacked? I know he's not going to pull up many trees but you'd have to recognise the fact that he's a pretty safe pair of hands and has the experience to improve things in the short term ie keep Palace up this season.

Hodgson must be close to 70 at this stage, if theyre going down that route theyve sacked a man in De Boer that would ahve taken time to work installing a principal and ethos for a guy to play by the numbers and keep them up, only to go an hire another De Boer style manager, in terms of the risk associated in 18months time.

Football is strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

To think he'd probably still have a job if Scott Dann didn't scuff a 4 yard header

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Really hope Palace go down now.

They brought in a fella to introduce a more passing style and then don't give him the time to implement his idea's.They're not good enough to be taking any liberties around what style they play so why the hell they appointed him in the first place is bizzare, that kind of idiocy needs to be punished.Turn yourself into a solid midtable team for a few years and then you can start worrying about style of play.I'm all for being ambitious but have a sense of grandeur like Palace have show is just stupid considering how close to relegation they've been in the last few years.

Parish has to have be one of the most punchable individuals in the game right now he's up there with Simon Jordan at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Wasn't that in Championship?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You can see that he was trying from game 1 to get the team to play a certain way. In the first game it wasn't working, but he didn't change it, as the game went on the players were visibly frustrated with it.

This continued into the other games.

He should have made adjustments because the gulf between what they were and what he wanted was too big and changes all over the pitch.

In my opinion, his downfall was not taking a step back towards rather than being too stubborn about what he wanted. Given a few more weeks I think it would have started to work more, unfortunately those sort of time frames are not available in the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Ya, Hodgson as plan B is never a good call.

Really? Did an excellent job with Fulham taking them from a relegation position to consecutive top half finishes in the league and a Europa league final. Did a good job at WBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brendan Rodgers now there is a man to have a project and I'd bet he love living and working in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Any links to this? Nothing on BBC or Sky Sports

Why do people always ask for this when they are always the last to confirm news?

• Advertisement
Advertisement