Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank de Boer sacked by Palace

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Brendan Rodgers now there is a man to have a project and I'd bet he love living and working in London.

Don't think he'd go near the job, tbh. He's happy out with Celtic for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The only thing that suprises me about this is the fact people are suprised by it. This is how the game works now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

4 games in FFS. The last performance was actually really good. And to replace him with Hodgson - have they completely lost the plot?!

If Hodgson doesn't get a win against Southampton I expect they will still be without a point after the Chelsea game. It's a very tough run of fixtures. Hodgson to be sacked after 4 games as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Parish is a highly dislikable character just like his predecessor Simon Jordan. Hodgson being touted as a replacement? Digging the grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The worst thing about it all is there are people, because of the modern game, who have developed to defend the decision. Soon it'll be 3 games, then 2, then 1 and some will still have some faux analytical defence of being sacked after a ridiculously tiny amount of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don't see the issue with Hodgson's appointment, he did very well at Fulham and WBA not that long ago. I would've thought it was a solid choice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

NDWC wrote: »
    I don't see the issue with Hodgson's appointment, he did very well at Fulham and WBA not that long ago. I would've thought it was a solid choice.

He failed to win a treble with Liverpool or the World Cup with England so naturally he's been ridiculed in the British press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the issue is to sack a manger after 4 games - a manager brought into to change the philosophy - allowed buy one big player - only had him for one game - where they played well, and bar striking ineptitude would not have lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Yet again it proves how far from reality that football is. If you have a multi million pound salary job going, with the exception of becoming President of the USA, you should be interviewed and due diligence should be performed on both sides of the table by the manager and the people that hire them.

Does this guy fit the job?
    What are his plans?
    Does his plans have a timeline?
    Are his plans realistic?
    Does he have previous experience or some other performance metric to prove he can actually do what he is saying?

Equally the new manager should have to show how they plans to implement his strategy with the average Joes who are allergic to the ball at their feet.

Does any of this happen? In cases like De Boer, you have to question if it does?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I thought they played well v Burnley and if not for Benteke and Dann missing 3 sitters it d be a very different story.
    Someone at CP must see that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bizarre appointment if this is how long he was going to get. What's the point of hiring a manager who is supposed to be trying change the style of play and then get rid of him at the first sign of trouble. He's had no time to implement his style, one window in which they signed very little and has been without two of his best players in Zaha and Sakho. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It's a tough one,

I know it's early but they need to leave themselves time to sack Hodgson too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Apparently around half of the teams in the premier use analytics and analytics believe that xG is the best measure of future performanxce we have. I am going to guess that Palace don't use them as it doesn't look that bad for them. They should be mid table.

8hrUwyu.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I thought they played really well yesterday and were unlucky not to come away with something against Burnley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This carry on is really pathetic and kind of standard for Palace at this point... De Boer was their tenth manager so far this decade (if we include Warnock as two, due to having two stints in that time frame). Any manager that accepts the offer for the job at this point is a) getting a big promotion from a small Championship or much smaller national league, b) so useless as to have been deemed untouchable by any other team, c) getting a pay check beyond their wildest dreams, or d) a complete mug.

EDIT: I missed that Hodgson got appointed. Yep... checks out! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

His teams typically all manage a similar level... if he does what he did previously, it should be enough to survive. Ugly, but safe. I would worry about his age though... football isn't the place for 70 year olds anymore. West Brom was still 5 years ago now, and I think the league has changed a bit in that time. And also 5 years at that stage of your life can be a bit different than 5 year periods at a younger age...

It's a boring, safe choice with absolutely zero ambition. Why the **** would you bother hiring someone like De Boer, if your next option is Roy Hodgson? As the lads on Second Captains commented today, Parish never had any intention of backing a change of playing style, as he even said in the unveiling of De Boer. The whole thing has just been a thoughtless cluster****.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hodgson will quickly sap that energy and atmosphere out of the crowd, but will finish 13th for a few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thought Ken Early summed it up well. A chairman who has good intentions, unfortunately clueless and absolutely no convictions in his decision making or staying the course, the board completely bundled their due diligence on this one.

Have massive sympathy for De Boer, wasn't backed in the transfer market, rumblings before the season kicked off. Even his unveiling press conference was one of the weirdest I've ever seen, with Parish sitting beside him just being contradictory to what they have hired.

Coaches like him should be weary of jobs in the premier league from 7th down. It's all talk and bluster from chairman about playing different football or moving to the next level. They only want to stay in the PL for $$$. Pretty obvious at this stage.

There is also a different discussion if that Dutch school of thought has a place in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

http://www.football365.com/news/top-10-reasons-de-boer-was-shown-the-door-at-palace

If half of that is true then some of the players at Crystal Palace are overgrown man-babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That Neil Ashton fella seems to be taking plenty of delight in how things turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Palace are a club ive wanted to go down anyway and if, as you say, even half of those are true, it paints a very bad light on the squad and one that will be appeased by a new Steve Parish yes man that will play it safe and go 4-5-1 and grind out results.

Nobody expects Palace to be a top 7 and start ripping up trees but sacking a fella after 4 games is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

http://www.football365.com/news/top-10-reasons-de-boer-was-shown-the-door-at-palace

If half of that is true then some of the players at Crystal Palace are overgrown man-babies.
    9) ‘De Boer would pick balls out of the sky, swivel on the spot and then ping one into the top corner in front of the Palace squad. It was unnecessary and smacked of arrogance.’ – Neil Ashton, The Sun

Wasn't Clough lauded for doing this?

I, for one, am shocked that Scott Dann and Joel Ward may have felt threatened by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That Neil Ashton fella seems to be taking plenty of delight in how things turned out.

Comes across as right little Englander.

Doesnt like the idea of a foreign coach coming in taking jobs when an English man could do a better one, even if it is for limited, hoff and chase football.

Marco Silva got similar treatment at Hull from Merson and Co. and I was really hoping he'd keep them up on the back of some of those comments, if he doesnt know the leageu he shouldnt be given a job types.

Boils the blood and no wonder the league is in sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

razorblunt wrote: »

I, for one, am shocked that Scott Dann and Joel Ward may have felt threatened by this.

That's brilliant actually. Zidane still trains with Real Madrid, doesn't hurt them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

razorblunt wrote: »

And if they had a manager who couldn't kick a bal 5 meters straight it would be a problem for them as well.

Ernst Happel held competitions at Feyenoord in the 70's shooting empty bottles from the crossbar and won.
    But the players he did win against were CL and WC winners and not a bunch of whiny little bitches.

2 bad decisions now for De Boer as it comes to picking a club. He has to be very careful with the choice of the next one, if any.
    Did a fantastic job at Ajax, not just the results but the circumstances he had to work under the first couple of seasons were terrible with 2 off the field camps fighting for power.
    A fight that is still going on btw and one of the reasons Bosz left after only 1 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He supports Palace.

He was the fella that Villas Boas had a pop back at in a press conference a couple of years ago.

Always thought he was a little **** and reading those clips he's proved it.

Looks like the players didn't like the idea of the a manager being a quality player and made them feel bad about there own shortcomings , considering De Boer record as a player and coach and him coming from one of the great clubs at developing players perhaps they should have listened to what he had to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

inforfun wrote: »
    And if they had a manager who couldn't kick a bal 5 meters straight it would be a problem for them as well.

Ernst Happel held competitions at Feyenoord in the 70's shooting empty bottles from the crossbar and won.
    But the players he did win against were CL and WC winners and not a bunch of whiny little bitches.

2 bad decisions now for De Boer as it comes to picking a club. He has to be very careful with the choice of the next one, if any.
    Did a fantastic job at Ajax, not just the results but the circumstances he had to work under the first couple of seasons were terrible with 2 off the field camps fighting for power.
    A fight that is still going on btw and one of the reasons Bosz left after only 1 year.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Netherlands didn't win that world cup in 1974.:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Netherlands didn't win that world cup in 1974.:P:P

Happel was manager at Feyenoord who won the CL (Europa Cup 1 really) and World cup for clubs with him in 1970
    Happel was manager of the Netherlands in Argentina 78, a final that would now still be in injury time today had Rensenbrink scored the 2-1 just before time

No need to tell me what i witnessed... 3 WC final losses.

Yes, i am old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

JPA wrote: »
    That's brilliant actually. Zidane still trains with Real Madrid, doesn't hurt them.

Ah that's not the same.

Real is full of World Class footballers who are not all preening, prima-donnas.

And of course Ronaldo... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

De Boer would pick balls out of the sky, swivel on the spot and then ping one into the top corner in front of the Palace squad. It was unnecessary and smacked of arrogance. Neil Ashton, The Sun

I want to see Hodgson do that so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd bet everything I owned that Neil Ashton voted for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Hodgson even did better at Inter than de Boer.

Hodgson off to a great start eh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Eh, his opening run was City and United, both of whom are murdering teams for fun right now (Both at 22 and 21 goals scored, and only 2 conceded). Chelsea next too. You'd have to imagine no one at the club was expecting a point from that run of three matches after their initial start and a manager change.

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »

It makes sacking Frank De boer even more of an embarrassing move for the owners

They are worse off now, at least he was attempting to do something different and progressive with the team

Roy will get a lovely paycheck either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Eh, his opening run was City and United, both of whom are murdering teams for fun right now (Both at 22 and 21 goals scored, and only 2 conceded). Chelsea next too. You'd have to imagine no one at the club was expecting a point from that run of three matches after their initial start and a manager change.
    When you look at it that way, it makes even less sense to sack de Boer. He would have got more time to embed his style and more pressure-free games to test it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Personally, I like this one from Ashton.
    When he decided to play Timothy Fosu-Mensah, 19, and Jairo Reidewald, 20, in the centre of defence, De Boer was warned that they would not be physically equipped in the Premier League. De Boer thought he knew best and played them anyway

Maybe, it's just me but TFM and Riedewald have been excellent for them, or at least two of their better players on show. Along with RLC, De Boer's other signing, maybe Palace should have shown more faith in him to sign players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He lost at home to an average Southampton team too

He had Southampton at home to start with too. I understand that two of the three were difficult fixtures but they looked wretched during the last two games. I personally don't understand dumping De Boer so quick to bring in a failed dinosaur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't get me wrong, it was a wretched decision from Palace to sack De Boer.

But I'd be waiting a few more games before I fully judge the decision to put Roy in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Strong chance another Dutch manager is on his way out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

**** them, I hope they go down (Palace that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

I don't like because there club colors are bad. For that reason they deserve to relegate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I honestly wonder if the media influence and just the general perception of the Hodgson appointment is having on the players. They'd all be tuned into social media and I think Roy has been really negatively received by people outside the club, and has been mocked primarily because of his age and his body language.

I don't understand it all. He did fantastic work with two similarly sized clubs in the last 10-15 years. I think he will do well if he gets the chance, and if they survive I would expect him to build something there. They're only five points from safety and they have a good few tough/impossible fixtures out of the way.

I think if Roy gets the full season they will stay up, but I would worry about the players losing respect for him because of external influence. But I think he can and will win them over anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tony Pulis isn't the type of guy that walks away from a club unless he is not wanted or things are really bad.

Sam Allardyce was rebuilding his reputation there after the England job. It seemed strange that he walked when he did.

Things didn't work out for De Boer there and he didn't get very long.

I'm building a small case here which suggests that the problem is higher up than the manager. I won't accuse Hodgson of failing if he doesn't keep them up. I wouldn't accuse De Boer of failing either.

• Advertisement

I honestly wonder if the media influence and just the general perception of the Hodgson appointment is having on the players. They'd all be tuned into social media and I think Roy has been really negatively received by people outside the club, and has been mocked primarily because of his age and his body language.

I don't understand it all. He did fantastic work with two similarly sized clubs in the last 10-15 years. I think he will do well if he gets the chance, and if they survive I would expect him to build something there. They're only five points from safety and they have a good few tough/impossible fixtures out of the way.

I think if Roy gets the full season they will stay up, but I would worry about the players losing respect for him because of external influence. But I think he can and will win them over anyway.

15 years in this case is the difference between a 55 year old and a 70 year old. At absolute best he's a very very short term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    15 years in this case is the difference between a 55 year old and a 70 year old. At absolute best he's a very very short term solution.

Not 15 years, he did superb job at West Brom when he was appointed in 2011. Before that he did very good job at Fulham too.

2010-11 WBA were in relegation zone when Hodgson took over, then they finished in 11th position. (13 matches - Won 5, Drew - 6, lost 2).

2011-12: 10th place

He really made big difference for West Brom, without him there was a good chance they might have releagated going by their form in

Same with Fulham, took over struggling Fulham, saved them from relegation.
    In 2008-09: Fulham finished 7th
    In 2009-10: Finished 12th and Europa league runners up.

I agree he would be very short term manager but Crystal palace don't need long term manager, they need someone who can save them from relegation before thinking long term.

It's five years since he managed at club level.. football management is a bloody grueling job to step into for anyone, let alone a 70 year old.

Maybe he'll be fine, but imo this is just as risky as De Boer was, except with no potentially exciting upside.

Also, just given the players they have, he just doesn't seem a great fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's five years since he managed at club level.. football management is a bloody grueling job to step into for anyone, let alone a 70 year old.

Maybe he'll be fine, but imo this is just as risky as De Boer was, except with no potentially exciting upside.

Also, just given the players they have, he just doesn't seem a great fit...

Hodgson is much more suited to Crystal palace than De Boer. Players Crystal Palace have is very much made for managers like Hodgson and Big Sam. They won't and can't play patience build up possession style football.

Hodgson doesn't even have to stay for long term. Just 1 or 2 years is good enough if Palace can survive this season.

It's not like 70 year old will be conducting training drills, surely he will have coaches to take care of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Giggsy11 wrote:
    Hodgson is much more suited to Crystal palace than De Boer. Players Crystal Palace have is very much made for managers like Hodgson and Big Sam. They won't and can't play patience build up possession style football.

He's more suited to being a bus conductor than a top level manager. Remember England at the European Championships? Their most talented squad in years looking, in the end, like disorganised journeymen - humiliated by the mighty Iceland!

• Advertisement
Advertisement