Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest on Deposit retention

Options
  • 11-09-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if this would be the correct forum but perhaps you could help.

We had to take a case against our previous landlord to the RTB over a number of issues. 1 of which was deposit retention. We are now 10 weeks out of the property have had the adjudication hearing and have just received a determination order against the landlord. The deposit is to be returned in full.

Now my question, Can I charge interest on the outstanding debt? I know in inter-business debt you can apply a rate, I know it will only be a small % but the money should have been returned more than 8 weeks ago in reality as the house was handed back in better condition than we took it. The LL is just taking the p*ss.

Also on a separate note, who can you report a LL to for raising the rent past the 4% in an RPZ? They have re-let a property at €950 when the original rent was €600, within 6 months of the previous tenant moving out

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I have just found the rates. Pitty it wasn't last year!

SRC: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/court_procedures.html

"Having obtained the judgment, the creditor is then entitled to enforce the judgment. Interest at the rate of 2% begins to run on the amount of the judgment (but not the costs) from the day the judgment is given. This interest rate was reduced from 8% by the Courts Act 1981 (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 2016, which came into effect on 1 January 2017."

Advertisement