Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphys samurai adverts 1990's.

Options
  • 11-09-2017 1:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Remember these? The black and white Seven Samurai inspired one came first. There were three in total as far as I know, the old man parsnip one and the animated manga one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oh yeah, I loved those. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The music from the first ad was from the Japanese film Yojimbo (excuse spelling).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

There were a series of shorter ones which tied in with the first black and white ad. Ive a feeling these might have been cinema only, they were only a few seconds long and would show one of the individual warriors going up to the bar and doing some kind of flashy trick before downing the bottle. One fella did something with a fan. One had a guy doing something weird like farting or burping. I remember them being shown separately over the course of the ads before a cinema screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've read somewhere that these were done for sponsorship of an anime season on Channel 4, but I can't find that reference now and it could be inaccurate. Heineken were trying to relaunch/push Murphys to younger drinkers in the UK at the time

L1011 wrote: »
    I've read somewhere that these were done for sponsorship of an anime season on Channel 4, but I can't find that reference now and it could be inaccurate. Heineken were trying to relaunch/push Murphys to younger drinkers in the UK at the time

Yeah I read that somewhere too, dont know how accurate that is.

• Advertisement

The followup campaign was the Sisters Of Murphys. The three ladies were very sexy but compared to the Samurai ones i found them kind of uninspired and very derivative of the 90s Charlie's Angel's movie reboot.

This is one of the short cinema adverts I mentioned.

https://youtu.be/m38_AGn0IrY

Just discovered the embedding option.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,292 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There was also this one which I think might have been done by some of the animators that did Akira:

• Advertisement

The old man and parsnip one was inspired by the opening sequence to early 70s series Kung Fu.

Advertisement