Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is insurance for Erasmus necessary?

Options
  • 11-09-2017 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I'm due to go on Erasmus in just over 2 weeks. We have been told that we need health insurance for the duration of the year but I haven't got it yet. I do have a EHIC card.

Is insurance necessary for my year abroad? Will i still receive the Erasmus grant from the EU if I'm not insured? Will I get into bother for not getting insured?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I'm due to go on Erasmus in just over 2 weeks. We have been told that we need health insurance for the duration of the year but I haven't got it yet. I do have a EHIC card.

Is insurance necessary for my year abroad? Will i still receive the Erasmus grant from the EU if I'm not insured? Will I get into bother for not getting insured?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

We have been told that we need health insurance for the duration of the year

The European health insurance card is not enough to cover your medical expenses overseas. Have you looking into what it actually covers?

Perhaps have a read through the terms and conditions of the grant, that will set out all the guidelines and reasons they could have for refusing to pay you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's always better to be safe than sorry.... As the above poster mentioned, read through the T and Cs and what they entail and what happens if you don't take out the insurance. Can you speak to another student who has been on the Erasmus and talk about their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

I'm on Erasmus now, I don't have any health insurance (apart from the EHIC) but I still got the grant.

Advertisement