Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming a business

Options
  • 11-09-2017 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

What do people think about naming a business as Gaeilge?

Would it put people off? Would it narrow the market? Would it make the business harder to remember for non Irish speakers? Or harder to search for online due to spelling etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

No , I dont think so , as long as whatever word you use is
    (a) pronounceable to the average non Irish or international speaker ( remember ohow many people can't pronounce names like , say Niamh or Siobhán or Gormflaith or whatever , same applies to words. Leave out Teoranta if its used in your case.
    (b)Consider a phonetic spelling of an as Gaeilge word ( there's a water company called ishka (i.e uisce) that's a good example of this.
    (c) Check well known languages to see there is no other meaning to your words or title if planning to sell internationally.
    (d) Two or max three syllable words are best, as a rule of thumb
    (e) no fadas , if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

What do people think about naming a business as Gaeilge?

Would it put people off? Would it narrow the market? Would it make the business harder to remember for non Irish speakers? Or harder to search for online due to spelling etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Whats the line of business?

For me its very much a yawn.. reminds me of semi-state companies or charities, you could create a funny or smart way of combining an irish and English word, withiout the obvious curse words

i.e Focal Off Jams & Marmalades wouldnt work.

Read about MABS launching a new service for home owners in arrears.. called..

Abhaile

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

When we were starting in Ireland I really wanted it to be an Irish word but, as already mentioned, its definitely important for it to be one that non-Irish speakers can understand. We went with Rua nice and short and easy to read. We had no idea it meant street in Portugese took us a while to realise why we had so many Brazillian customers coming in and why our website was getting so many hits from Brazil! Our facebook page still gets people checking in from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Thanks for the replies. I think we'll stick to English.

Advertisement