Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job withdrew their offer 10 days before I was due to start

Options
  • 11-09-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, Id really love some advice please re: a terrible situation.

I work in the finance industry in Dublin. A couple of months back I was approached by a Swiss recruiter regarding a role in Switzerland. It was a role for a well known company and I was a perfect fit for the job description. I interviewed twice (one phone interview, one skype interview) and was eventually offered the job which I was thrilled with.

I was due to start on Monday 18th September. I gave my current employer notice, I also gave my landlord notice of my intention to leave my current apartment, and I also arranged accomodation in Switzerland with a deposit and first month rent in excess of €6,000 combined paid.

On Thursday, the company contacted me to let me know that the role they had offered me was no longer available. They gave no further information on why despite my persistent questioning. The lady in HR sounded very sympathetic, but would not expand on why the role was gone. Just to confirm, I had signed my contract, been given an employee ID and everything.

I've tried speaking to them, but they are either avoiding me or just not interested in communicating in any detail.

I now have a whole host of problems -

1. My current job have already offered my role to someone else who is due to start in the next few weeks, so there is no headcount available for me to return to my previous/current employer. I'm out of a job here now.

2. People have already viewed and agreed to move in to my current apartment. My landlord says there is nothing she can do as they have signed a lease and I submitted my notice ages ago.

3. My prospective landlord in Switzerland has said he will return my deposit, but will not return my first months rent as the apartment will remain vacant through "no fault of his". He said if someone does take it within the next month, he will return the correct proportion.

The people in the above points all have valid stances I feel, but it's no help to me and leaves my life in ruins.

I now have no job. I have no home. I have 1 week to find a new place to live, but even if I do find somewhere, I'm broke. I have no money until I get my deposit back which is unlikely to happen this week. I don't get my last paycheck from my current job until the end of the month. I'm absolutely terrified because I've never been in this position before.

I feel like my life has fallen to tatters all because of this Swiss company pulling their offer. I don't know who to turn to, I don't know if I have any legal recourse or what steps I should even take.

I would desperately appreciate any advice please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

What is the notice period on your new contract? I'd be expecting to get paid that at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have no advice, but I hope you sue the **** out of them.

They have effectively turned your life upside down.

Although I have to question your financial situation. Have you not been building up savings in the event you need money, and are unemployed?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Usually for less then a year employment it's only a week's notice on the employers side, so you're not going to get that much if you can even get them to listen to you.

OP - that's truly ****. No idea if you have any legal recourse. Perhaps post on https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php which is the Swiss version of boards.ie. If it's like Ireland though, you have very little rights under 1 year and they can cancel the contract for whatever reason.

If it was me, I'd look for another job in Switzerland as you have the apartment sorted and are all set to move.

I'd get on contact with the recruiter and see if there are any other jobs in the same city, or can they put you in contact with another recruiter. Also get on Linkedin and start searching like mad.

Wtf? Hardly what OP needs to hear.

Chill out :cool:

Maybe it's exactly what he needs to here. It's a ****ty situation, and I feel for him. But you need savings in the event something (although nothing like this) happens. If OP saved 30 a week for the last year, they would have 1500 to tied them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Maybe it's exactly what he needs to here. It's a ****ty situation, and I feel for him. But you need savings in the event something (although nothing like this) happens. If OP saved 30 a week for the last year, they would have 1500 to tied them over.

Only works if you have enough disposbale income at the end of the week

OP Im sorry to hear about that. Sounds like a right kick in the proverbial

Hope you find something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

And his deposit and rent for Switzerland cost him €6,000. Or did you miss that bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Op that's a horrible situation and I'm sure you feel upside down.  Rescinding a job offer is tough for any company and more so once it's been accepted.  You'll need some better advice but it appears that you could have a case.

"Even if the offer was not explicitly provided as an employment contract and clearly stated that it was for at-will employment, the offer may be construed as a "promise." The legal concept of "promissory estoppel" specifically protects parties who suffer harm when such a promise is made and broken, even if no formal contract has been agreed to. In some cases, rescinding the offer could cost you more in damages than the salary you offered!
    For example: - If the candidate moved to another location to accept the position, and the accepted offer is withdrawn, then the candidate may seek damages and penalties in civil court. - If the candidate provided their notice of resignation to their current employer and cannot withdraw the resignation, then the candidate could lose that job, their benefits, and other career-related opportunities such as seniority or promotion. You may be liable for both current and future damages."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there any chance that they found something from your past thats turned them sour to you? Strange to do it so late and give no reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HelpPlease2017

amcalester wrote: »
    What is the notice period on your new contract? I'd be expecting to get paid that at least.

Although I have to question your financial situation. Have you not been building up savings in the event you need money, and are unemployed?

I don't have a huge income but I save what little I can. I had close to €10k in savings at the start of last year but I had a medical issue that cost me everything. I had to take out a loan as the savings weren't enough to cover it!

The last 18 months have been paying off that loan (which is thankfully cleared now) and saving what I can spare so I thought i did quite well to get to where I was at.

I feel stupid for putting all my eggs in one basket, but it was a combination of my dream job, an exotic location, and a salary (and tax rate) that would allow me to save in 1 year what would take me 3 years to save in Ireland. It seemed like a no brainer!

Tazium wrote: »
    Op that's a horrible situation and I'm sure you feel upside down.  Rescinding a job offer is tough for any company and more so once it's been accepted.  You'll need some better advice but it appears that you could have a case.

"Even if the offer was not explicitly provided as an employment contract and clearly stated that it was for at-will employment, the offer may be construed as a "promise." The legal concept of "promissory estoppel" specifically protects parties who suffer harm when such a promise is made and broken, even if no formal contract has been agreed to. In some cases, rescinding the offer could cost you more in damages than the salary you offered!
    For example: - If the candidate moved to another location to accept the position, and the accepted offer is withdrawn, then the candidate may seek damages and penalties in civil court. - If the candidate provided their notice of resignation to their current employer and cannot withdraw the resignation, then the candidate could lose that job, their benefits, and other career-related opportunities such as seniority or promotion. You may be liable for both current and future damages."

Thanks! Can i ask where you got that from as I'd like to read more?

ED E wrote: »
    Is there any chance that they found something from your past thats turned them sour to you? Strange to do it so late and give no reason whatsoever.

I doubt it. I've had no legal issues. I was up front about my medical issues while applying (which are 100% in the past) and they had no issue with that when they made me an offer. Reference checks came back well too - these were checked before they made the offer too so I honestly have no idea why they've withdrawn it. Even if they gave me a reason it would be some bit of closure! As it is, I'm in the dark and have the most horrible sinking feeling in my chest since it's become apparent that it's not something I can talk them out of (or even talk to them about at all!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I bet you live with your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I don't have a huge income but I save what little I can. I had close to €10k in savings at the start of last year but I had a medical issue that cost me everything. I had to take out a loan as the savings weren't enough to cover it!

The last 18 months have been paying off that loan (which is thankfully cleared now) and saving what I can spare so I thought i did quite well to get to where I was at.

I feel stupid for putting all my eggs in one basket, but it was a combination of my dream job, an exotic location, and a salary (and tax rate) that would allow me to save in 1 year what would take me 3 years to save in Ireland. It seemed like a no brainer!

You don't need to explain your finances, the comment made by the previous poster about savings wasn't relevant and I don't understand why the it was even made.

You hardly put all your eggs in one basket, any of us here who were offered a dream job would have also handed in our notice and told out LL we were off, you done the normal thing. You have been treated very badly and are in no way in the wrong.

I have no advice to offer but I really hope you get sorted, I am very sorry for your situation.

I doubt it. I've had no legal issues. I was up front about my medical issues while applying (which are 100% in the past) and they had no issue with that when they made me an offer. Reference checks came back well too - these were checked before they made the offer too so I honestly have no idea why they've withdrawn it. Even if they gave me a reason it would be some bit of closure! As it is, I'm in the dark and have the most horrible sinking feeling in my chest since it's become apparent that it's not something I can talk them out of (or even talk to them about at all!)

Is your social media locked down (Set to friends only) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Picked it from here - link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

That might be from the US. Different country, different laws...you will have to check local laws out. sorry to hear your situation...horrible position to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lux23 wrote:

He does. And is in college. And doesn't work.

So not exactly in a position to be wagging his finger at the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lux23 wrote: »

Just look at the history of threads he has created/posts he's made. So odd and questionable online persona

Anyone would have done the same

+1. Its not like you jumped the gun and moved based on a provisional offer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

For one you weren't stupid.. An apparently great chance came up and you took it, it's not your fault that they've dicked you about... If you never try anything you'll never do anything..
    . . Step one - don't panic -
    Have you friends or family here you can stay with for a week or 2..?
    . Two.. Have a look at the area you were going to live in.. Are there other jobs there that you could get...? (even if not the dream job)
    . . Do the same for here as a plan b,

Three, send a nasty letter to both company and recruitment firm.. Outlining your legal action, especially if the récruiter is in Ireland.. If you've a friend who's a solicitor ask them, if not think about paying a solicitor to do it.. 😀
    Good luck..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Usually for less then a year employment it's only a week's notice on the employers side, so you're not going to get that much if you can even get them to listen to you.

That's the minimum, they may have written a longer notice period into the contract.

Admittedly this is grasping at straws but still worth the OP reading the contract and checking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Can you even stay with family or friends while you look for a new job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Is it an option to go to Switzerland anyway.
    It would be much easier to get interviews for a job in Switzerland if you are there and in that industry I'm sure you won't have too long of a wait.

Take a chance and go over for a few months, if it doesn't work out come home and start again.

Maybe you dodged a bullet and it might be best in the long run, if a company treats people like this before they even start a job what would they be like if you actually worked for them.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    He does. And is in college. And doesn't work.

So not exactly in a position to be wagging his finger at the OP.

I do live at home yes. I'm 21 and in college.

FYI i do work. Summers, and Saturdays landscaping. I pay my college fees, transport, socializing out of this, and guess what i also SAVE.

I have enough put away that I can pay for my expenses if my work dries up for an extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MusSpo13

Firstly, you're not stupid. You done what the majority of others would do, you had a great opportunity and you took it. Also you don't need to justify what you do with your money.

I can't offer you a lot of advice but if you have any friends/family working in HR or in a legal firm ask them if they can help or give you some advice. Citizens information may also be able to provide you with some information.

Like some other people have said you could consider moving as you have an apartment and looking for work over there.

I know you must feel bad right now but try to stay positive, you got offered this job so you will get other job offers and in the long run this could work out for the best. I hope things work out well for you.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just look at the history of threads he has created/posts he's made. So odd and questionable online persona

You have previous questioning my posts/thread.

Please point out what posts and threads are "odd and questionable".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

You have previous questioning my posts/thread.

Please point out what posts and threads are "odd and questionable".

Well saying the OP had no savings for one, he handed out 6k for his new home in Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Could you talk to the Swiss landlord and maybe see if you can stay for the month to check for new jobs over there ? If that wasn't an option id be going over to stay in a hostel or air b&b and dealing direct with local recruiters.

Had you any agreement with the new company as in put of pocket moving expenses ? Even if the job is gone etc id be appealing to them you signed a contract in good faith and you've incurred expenses and these need to be recouped ....

I'd be looking at local jobs also as a back up measure. Have you family friends you can bunk in with as a temp measure ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I have enough put away that I can pay for my expenses if my work dries up for an extended period.

It's easy to pay your expenses when your expenses are €0.00.

Pelvis wrote: »
    It's easy to pay your expenses when your expenses are €0.00.

Yes I have no expenses.

Get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not sure what it could be but are you 100% sure the job was legit and not some form of scam?

Did you find the landlord yourself or did the job give you the details?

Again, it'd seem awfull elaborate for a scam involving a couple to months rent but you have to check every angle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement