Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job withdrew their offer 10 days before I was due to start

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod

Hollister11 do not post in this thread again.

Everyone else, get back on topic and post only if you have something helpful to post in relation to the ops problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

Can you email them your opening post and ask them for recompense?
    If asking nicely doesnt work, tell them as soon you gain employment you will be posting your experience with them online. If I was based in eg london and was thinking of relocating and read what you posted, that'd be the end of the relocation.
    My mate works with a big fund in Ireland and was saying they pay off the deadwood instead of sacking them. As the last thing the want is court cases , media reporting etc. Basically anything that portrays them in a negative light _ even if they are 100% in the right.

Aim high with the figure and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Happened to me once before, fortunately I was able to keep my old job for a few more weeks until something else turned up.

In my case the company were told by their parent company to have a total 'hiring freeze". The H.R. Manager told me it was the hardest thing he had to do...a few months later I heard the company closed.

I didn't bother trying to sue etc., the company could have hired me for a day, then just said its not working out bye!

OP you have already decided to leave your existing company, it's probably better to just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

I know it seems like the end of the world right now but you have to think positive and maybe one day you will look back at the narrow escape you had.

Something similar happened to me 10 years ago. I was offered a job by a property developer and then never heard from him again.

He subsequently faked his own kidnapping and was prosecuted for wasting Garda time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

As I guess this is a Swiss contract, I am not on familiar ground. However, unless there was a clause or term providing for a withdrawal of the offer, I still suggest that contract law usually follows the same general guidelines and spirit. You say it’s a well known company in the finance sector and I assume you are happy that the offer was genuine and you had checked out the bone fides.

So you had a contract. Offer and acceptance in good faith. This company is in breach of the contract and you are at a significant loss due to the breach.

I understand you had a defined start date (in writing?) and they withdrew the offer just a week shy of that. Did they ever correspond with you in relation to your relocation or give you any advice/support in finding local accommodation? I am looking to find some supporting indicators of certain employment.

I think it's worth a shot at some financial compensation. Would you consider writing and explaining officially that while their circumstances may have changed, your acceptance of their contract set in motion a chain of events and their subsequent withdrawal at the eleventh hour has damaged you financially? Outline your expenses to date (with supporting documentation) and highlight that there will be future losses that cannot be defined until you find alternative employment and accommodation. Ask for a compensation proposal and be direct about it. Then seek legal advice. Assuming this was through no fault of your own and providing the offer wasn’t rescinded due to the financial ill health of the company, I really would hope you get some compensation for your losses. Regardless, whether you do or not, this was a dreadful way to be treated and best of luck finding a new job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Not much advice, hope all works out. Did you actually speak to your old/current employer, maybe they have something to tide you over, seems strange no face to face interview.

Maybe as others have said go to Switzerland and when there make a personal call to landlord AND company, always better face to face.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Op ; what the contract say

Also there is a lad on here called Angus Von Bismarck who is a big shot in Switzerland
    Maybe pm him and see if he can help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I think you need to seek legal advice from a firm that has associates in Switzerland. I could give my opinion but best to hear it from a competent professional.

I hope things work out well for you. After this, you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Tigger wrote: »
    Also there is a lad on here called Angus Von Bismarck who is a big shot in Switzerland
    Maybe pm him and see if he can help

Isn't he not just a fantastic troll?

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Isn't he not just a fantastic troll?

I Donno
    Imagine if he isn't and he gets the op a job in Switzerland
    A guy on motors got his car stolen and they bought him a car last month
    Boards is still awesome somethimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

You say you were approached by a recruiter, are they Irish? I find it strange you only did a phone and skype interview. This is usually followed up by an interview in person. You do mention they are well known so I presume you have researched them enough to prove they are who they say they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

TBH I wouldn't put too much faith in the legal route.
    The cost of hiring legal in Switzerland is probably astronomical and you get what at the end? Some compensation?

The Swiss have a very clever model, happy to employ foreigners but refuse them any hope of permanent status so that they can turf them out if there's a downturn.

Try to beg for your old job back.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Have a look at Glassdoor to see if this has happened to others. If their employer reviews look managed the likelihood is that they are. If they don't offer to make good on your tangible losses and some compensation, even a goodwill jesture I'd feel obliged to leave a review stating the facts. It's not as if you would be burning any bridges.

Big companies are really starting to value their employer image.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

OP, just out of interest, was it on Linkedin you were approached originally for this one? Received a similar one from a RH recruiter not too long ago and seemed fishy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I think if everyone reads the Ops original post they might see these lines

"It was a role for a well known company" and that the company contacted him.
    Its very easy to ascertain whether this was a scam or not and I assume the op did due diligence before taking the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Terrible situation to be in.
    Look op that's horrible but what's done is done. It's all about moving on and trying to put this behind you now. It's the only advice that could help.

As soon as you finish up in this job go down to the social immediately. Giving that you were working you won't be means started at the start.

For accommodation even ask your parents or family to crash at theirs for a few weeks. Maybe even a good friend. If this isn't an option consider staying at a hostel.

Any chance of getting a loan too?

But good on you for sharing your story. I for one will always be cautious of jobs in other countries now as I'm sure other people in this thread will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Blazer wrote: »
    I think if everyone reads the Ops original post they might see these lines

"It was a role for a well known company" and that the company contacted him.
    Its very easy to ascertain whether this was a scam or not and I assume the op did due diligence before taking the offer.

He says he was approached by a Swiss recruiter and the job was for a well known company. So it's not clear who did the interviewing.
    I'm also curious how the Op arranged his accommodation? Did he fly to Switzerland?

This is a horrible horrible situation to be in but if the company is a well known company I really don't think if they'did what is claimed would risk tarnishing their name in such a way.

I hate Joe Duffy's show but I would ring in with this story if the company did indeed behave in such a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I think the OP is making it all up as too many things just don't add up.

1 - Recruiters don't act like this - too easy for negative reviews to go around.

2 - Large finacial houses donl;t act like this - again, too easy to put reviews about.

3 - If OP was truly in the finance indutry and was targeted for a move to switzerland, they'd be back in emp;loyment very quickly in Dublin due to a massive shortage of financial staff.

4 - OP says savings were spent on a medical issue. Surely any half decent finance company would ahve had a health insurance plan?

5 - The OP is written in very similar style to many other trolling posts that appear regularly by a specific troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I think the OP is making it all up as too many things just don't add up.

1 - Recruiters don't act like this - too easy for negative reviews to go around.

2 - Large finacial houses donl;t act like this - again, too easy to put reviews about.

They sure do. Sometimes plans change. roles are cut/moved to different locations.
    3 - If OP was truly in the finance indutry and was targeted for a move to switzerland, they'd be back in emp;loyment very quickly in Dublin due to a massive shortage of financial staff.
    Where is this massive shortage you speak of.

Yes there are jobs going...but i'd hardly call it a massive shortage.
    4 - OP says savings were spent on a medical issue. Surely any half decent finance company would ahve had a health insurance plan?
    I hope you dont ever need to call on your health insurance plan. They dont cover half of what you think they do.
    for example, I dislocated my thumb this year. I have a good health plan with VHI. Ended up going private to have it looked at. I've spent 1K+ so far (with more to come) and about half of it was covered by VHI (they dont cover the MRI interestingly enough). And thats for a minor injury. I wouldnt like to think what a major illness would end up costing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

OP

What area of finance do you work in? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

I hope you have talked with as many recruiters as you can since you got the bad news?

My advice would be to take the first job thats offered and then keep looking for the right job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

daheff wrote: »
    They sure do. Sometimes plans change. roles are cut/moved to different locations.

Where is this massive shortage you speak of.

Yes there are jobs going...but i'd hardly call it a massive shortage.

I hope you dont ever need to call on your health insurance plan. They dont cover half of what you think they do.
    for example, I dislocated my thumb this year. I have a good health plan with VHI. Ended up going private to have it looked at. I've spent 1K+ so far (with more to come) and about half of it was covered by VHI (they dont cover the MRI interestingly enough). And thats for a minor injury. I wouldnt like to think what a major illness would end up costing.

I can't see any reputable recruiter or compnay acting the way the OP is saying.

Widely reported that there is a shortage of workers in most areas of finance and if the OP was targeted for a position in Switzerland I'd guess that they are a little better than entry level - and that's why things don't add up.

Someone targeted for a position in Switzerland is most likely experienced within the industry - if the OP had applied for the position that would be different, but it was the recruiter that approaced the op if the op is to be believed, so the op would have a level of experience which should easily see them in a new position very quickly.

But what really made me question the OP is the line "my life is ruined".

A little too dramatic imo.

But both the OP and the subsequent replies are very much in the style of a regular new poster troll that frequenst boards.

I may be wrong - but I've called all the others long before it became ovbvious to the mods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Between posters who can't behave, posters who think they are Mods and another handful of rule breaks on the thread this is now closed. OP has been given advice; it's now up to OP to act on them accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement