Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop acting up

Options
  • 11-09-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Does anybody know a smart computer bod in Waterford - my laptop (Windows 8.1) has suddenly stopped connecting to my wifi and I cannot see why. Router is fine and other devices are connecting so I think I need some help.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Just to be sure, is there a slider switch anywhere on your laptop that can switch off the wi-fi? Check even if you are certain there isnt!

Get exact model number for your laptop perhaps sticker underneath.

Go to the website of the maker,-support-drivers and try to find the driver for the wi-fi card or whatever. Download it to the working computer, move it to broken laptop via usb key etc.

Go to device manager in laptop

Click right click wi fi card and click "update driver" and browse to where your download is and maybe it will work. Otherwise:

Uninstall driver for wi-fi card. Sometimes this doesn't remove old driver completely, maybe google how to completely remove driver if this whole procedure does not work and try it again.

Double click driver you downloaded, or perhaps go into device manager and click either the wifi card or whatever device has a question mark beside it and right click to "update driver" and browse to the driver you downloaded.

If you want help finding the driver private message me with all the exact model numbers taken from label of laptop underneath and I will look for it.

I had a lot of wi-fi issues too with Win 8 not seeing my wi-fi card. I think a full re-install was the only thing that fixed it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gillman1998

Thank you so much for such a detailed response, I will try everything you suggest and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Thank you so much for such a detailed response, I will try everything you suggest and let you know.

If you need help, send on the model number of the laptop and make and I will get the driver for you, it would then be a simple uninstall through device manager (should be under Network Adapters) and then reinstall the driver.

So, I found the driver and downloaded it via Ethernet. When I went to update I got a message saying that the driver I had on the computer was already the most up to date and so nothing happened.

Is it worth uninstalling this one and installing the downloaded one, even they they are apparently the same?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

So, I found the driver and downloaded it via Ethernet. When I went to update I got a message saying that the driver I had on the computer was already the most up to date and so nothing happened.

Is it worth uninstalling this one and installing the downloaded one, even they they are apparently the same?

Thanks again.

Yes.I would try that.

• Advertisement

The saga continues. I uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter and nothing has changed. Troubleshooter tells me the DNS server is not responding but aim having difficulty finding out what this really means and what to do about it.

I am contemplating doing a refresh and see what that gives me.

Tune in for the gripping next instalment, popcorn will be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

The saga continues. I uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter and nothing has changed. Troubleshooter tells me the DNS server is not responding but aim having difficulty finding out what this really means and what to do about it.

I am contemplating doing a refresh and see what that gives me.

Tune in for the gripping next instalment, popcorn will be provided.

Are other devices around you working okay? I ask that because it might be the router that is the issue and not your laptop. Perhaps a reset of the router might do the trick?

Are other devices around you working okay? I ask that because it might be the router that is the issue and not your laptop. Perhaps a reset of the router might do the trick?

Other devices were indeed working. Funnily, today the wireless printer started acting up, showing as offline. I re-booted the router, for the second time this week, and now everything works.

Strange indeed but thanks to everybody for the helpful comments.

Advertisement