Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in my area

Options
  • 11-09-2017 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I am trying to purchase broadband for my home.
    We only just moved in, but the website is saying we can only get 512kb of internet. I have checked online & the surrounding houses are getting 80-100mb. Would it be an issue that the house has a bad line? We only live in Balbriggan. I have emailed openair, and I am awaiting a reply. I just want to get this sorted as soon as. Is there a way someone can come to see if the line needs to be upgraded? Surely one house in an estate would be left without any services while the rest got upgraded?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

We only just moved in, but the website is saying we can only get 512kb of internet. I have checked online & the surrounding houses are getting 80-100mb. Would it be an issue that the house has a bad line? We only live in Balbriggan. I have emailed openair, and I am awaiting a reply. I just want to get this sorted as soon as. Is there a way someone can come to see if the line needs to be upgraded? Surely one house in an estate would be left without any services while the rest got upgraded?
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. Your best option here would be to order a landline without broadband for your home. Once your line goes active, it can take 3 working days to test for broadband and we would be able to give you a more accurate result for what broadband speeds your line can hold.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

Hi Ashleigh,

Whereabouts in Balbriggan would you be based? There are estates in Balbriggan where they are showing as being fibre enabled but it would seem some of the older estates are not connected to the newer cabinets and as such this is leading to people in Balbriggan not being able to obtain fibre broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ashleighc2013

Jeffy17 wrote: »
    Hi Ashleigh,

Whereabouts in Balbriggan would you be based? There are estates in Balbriggan where they are showing as being fibre enabled but it would seem some of the older estates are not connected to the newer cabinets and as such this is leading to people in Balbriggan not being able to obtain fibre broadband.

I'm based in Clonard court. I went through every house in my estate on the eir website, the houses are all getting 80-100mb bar us. I'm going around in circles, I just want to someone to come and look at the line to see what the fault is!

If your neighbours are able to get it then I'd follow the advice of Adam, contact EIR or whichever provider you prefer and advise of your predicament.

There is a 10 / 14 day cooling period with all contracts so ensure same is applicable if you are unable to obtain fibre broadband.

Upon contacting the sales team ask them if there was ever an active phoneline from that address. If so ask if your phoneline is connected to the cabinet bearing the number "BRN2_011", this cabinet is the nearest one to you and is located at the edge of your estate (beside the Garden centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ashleighc2013

Jeffy17 wrote: »
    If your neighbours are able to get it then I'd follow the advice of Adam, contact EIR or whichever provider you prefer and advise of your predicament.

There is a 10 / 14 day cooling period with all contracts so ensure same is applicable if you are unable to obtain fibre broadband.

Upon contacting the sales team ask them if there was ever an active phoneline from that address. If so ask if your phoneline is connected to the cabinet bearing the number "BRN2_011", this cabinet is the nearest one to you and is located at the edge of your estate (beside the Garden centre)
    Thanks very much, I will try that :)

• Advertisement

No worries, let me know how you get on and what they say

Advertisement