Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammerhead Karoo. Thoughts?

Options
  • 11-09-2017 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I'm tempted to go for the Hammerhead Karoo at the launch price. As it's a new product it's difficult to find a whole pile online about it (other than their own blurb and DC Rainmaker/ Bikeradar etc).

Any thoughts (good or bad) on taking the giant leap from the safety of Garmin?

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I took a look at that and my concern was going for a version 1, and also it seems that you need to order off their US website, and that could potentially open up VAT and customs charges.   I may be wrong, but it is an interesting product that promises a lot,  I would like to hear independent confirmation that it can deliver before pressing the "buy" button.

Cionn

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MickeyTake

Did you ever buy this? Considering going for one myself.

I'm tempted to go for the Hammerhead Karoo at the launch price. As it's a new product it's difficult to find a whole pile online about it (other than their own blurb and DC Rainmaker/ Bikeradar etc).

Any thoughts (good or bad) on taking the giant leap from the safety of Garmin?

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

MickeyTake wrote: »
    Did you ever buy this? Considering going for one myself.

I didn't, no. The size of the unit kinda held me back tbh. Plus, very little known about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Very tempted myself, as navigation is my main reason for looking for an upgrade. I'm a bit put off by the amount of emails I've been getting since I signed up to the mailing list - smacks a bit of desperation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

Get a Wahoo Bolt instead. Not an expensive unit, and you get a very good value unit.

Decently sized unit, no colours on the screen, but the maps/navigation work well and are really handy. Works absolutely fine, no bugs or anything. Very flexible in what data you want to display, plenty of useful features, and some nice extra ones (like built in Strava segments live)

All units seem to work well (you won't see complaints online).

I bought one as I really wanted a unit with maps/navigation (only moved to Ireland last year, and I don't drive, so I kind of wanted something that would help me explore when I go cycling). I don't even carry my phone with me when cycling, just use the map to get oriented or if needed load up a route in advance from home.

The Karoo just seems to be over-the-top with the far too fancy screen or the built in 3g connection which I don't think add value and just make it a lot more expensive and prone to go wrong. Too much of a gadget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, the bolt is my other option and probably what I'll go for. Wahoo seem to be on the ball with regards support and updates from my research.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

You need to use RideWithGPS to make the maps for the Wahoo devices.
    They don't have the map metadata onboard to provide the turn-by-turn and Strava maps don't put the map metadata into the route.
    So you'll only get the chevroned line.

As for Hammerhead, they're clickbait blogposts are enough to put anyone off, "Latest Update", "New Update regarding Shipping", "Very Important device update".

I really like what they are doing with the Android OS underneath their software, but it looks like they hired the marketing team from Hello magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You need to use RideWithGPS to make the maps for the Wahoo devices.

Or the Elemnt app, or Komoot.
    Strava maps don't put the map metadata into the route. So you'll only get the chevroned line.

Which I definitely prefer - screen is really easy to read, and Bolt will tell you when you go off the route, and when you're back at it. I hate TBT navigation with passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

The bolt does give you TBT if you want it. Beeps as you come to junctions, LEDs run left-right or right-left depending, etc.

That's assuming you built your map with RideWithGPS; I haven't used any other route builder yet.

Battery pretty solid - certainly held out ok for a nine-hour ride last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

As for Hammerhead, they're clickbait blogposts are enough to put anyone off, "Latest Update", "New Update regarding Shipping", "Very Important device update".

Just got another one on assembly news!

You'd question their sales model if they are still offering a pre-order price of $299 (a saving if over $200!!!!)

• Advertisement

Have a read of some of their latest Comms from Karoo at the link below

https://blog.hammerhead.io/another-exciting-november-update-9dfe66b99d3?mc_cid=1752bd4d55&mc_eid=ddf0cb0ed8

People who have waited 6+ months getting anxious, no confirmed production numbers. It's hard to see anything other than marketing speak coming from the company and I find it hard to understand how reviews from 6+ months ago are relevant at this stage. If there were reviews of final production versions that would be interesting.

Issues of vat and duty are the nail in the coffin for me, wahoo seems to be the best option.

Cionn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

cromelex wrote: »
    Get a Wahoo Bolt instead. Not an expensive unit, and you get a very good value unit.

Decently sized unit, no colours on the screen, but the maps/navigation work well and are really handy. Works absolutely fine, no bugs or anything. Very flexible in what data you want to display, plenty of useful features, and some nice extra ones (like built in Strava segments live)

All units seem to work well (you won't see complaints online).

I bought one as I really wanted a unit with maps/navigation (only moved to Ireland last year, and I don't drive, so I kind of wanted something that would help me explore when I go cycling). I don't even carry my phone with me when cycling, just use the map to get oriented or if needed load up a route in advance from home.

The Karoo just seems to be over-the-top with the far too fancy screen or the built in 3g connection which I don't think add value and just make it a lot more expensive and prone to go wrong. Too much of a gadget.

I second that on the Bolt, I got so fed up of the crap battery life of my garmin and after a ton of research I took the plunge. A terrific unit that has all that you need. Dozens of data pages that are accessed by the elemnt app on your smartphone. Large data screen making them super easy to read. Connects with ant+ and Bluetooth to all of your sensors.Wahoo have recently upgraded the navigation / maps so it seems to cover even the most remote routes. Treat yourself for Xmas.
    Personally I wouldn't switch to anything else. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

@funnights74 - have you by any chance gotten yours to talk to a Di2 or ETAP battery level sensor? Not getting mine to work for some reason....
    Otherwise a pretty good unit, esp. for navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Sorry brownian I'm still on mechanical shifters so can't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

brownian wrote: »
    @funnights74 - have you by any chance gotten yours to talk to a Di2 or ETAP battery level sensor? Not getting mine to work for some reason....
    Otherwise a pretty good unit, esp. for navigation.
    Am I stating the obvious but there is a DFly thingy connected somewhere (Di2), right? I won't be handing over cash for this myself but did read that somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Luxman wrote: »
    Am I stating the obvious but there is a DFly thingy connected somewhere (Di2), right? I won't be handing over cash for this myself but did read that somewhere.

Correct. Normal Di2 etc doesn't transmit any data, you have to add the Dfly yoke and then it talks to other devices.

I think the latest version even does Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hammerhead fulfilment is apparently ramping up now.

Product still has its niggles but a V2 or V3 could be a whopper device.

ED E wrote: »
    Hammerhead fulfilment is apparently ramping up now.

Product still has its niggles but a V2 or V3 could be a whopper device.

I was really interested in this device, but I just can't understand the need for 3g/cellular connection. Bluetooth is fine these days. Also lack of clarity on Duty/VAT and no idea when the product will be delivered was the final straw. I ended up with a Garmin 520 but moved to an 820 as I got fed up with the buttons. I reckon I will look at it again when they update the device and move to another iteration in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The cellular radio gives them options down the road. Don't have to use it.

VAT could be prepaid AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Mine arrived,I had the option to pre pay customs by paying $75 to hammerhead. I declined and no customs charge was applied. I must be lucky :)

• Advertisement

mick121 wrote: »
    Mine arrived,I had the option to pre pay customs by paying $75 to hammerhead. I declined and no customs charge was applied. I must be lucky :)

I would be interested to hear what you think of it after a few uses. also if you do post, can you say what the device is you are moving from.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Any HHK users got a 3g sim, if so what did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Cionn wrote:
    I would be interested to hear what you think of it after a few uses. also if you do post, can you say what the device is you are moving from.

Am moving from an edge 500.old age and poor eyesight made me want a bigger screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

seeing as there is a BF deal on this ....and i'm tempted...

currently using Garmin810 thinking about an 830 or Wahoo Roam but this might be an alternative ?

anyone using one..?

pros ?
    cons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I finally bought one only a few weeks back. Seriously impressed. Annoyed I missed out on the BF deal but so be it. At that price I wouldn't hesitate. The only cons I can see are it's a bit large and I can't find a protective cover for it. Other than that, very impressed (despite it's limited, due to weather, use)

I too am tempted by this but also the sigma rox 12. Some good deals on that too if you search around

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

can you load on/use 3rd party maps eg open street plan etc or are you restricted to what hammerhead provide ?

i use the osp GB/Ireland on the Garmin via the external memory card (I know the latest Garmin dont have an external slot ..correct)?

Advertisement