Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Order online. Have someone else pick up in America

Options
  • 11-09-2017 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting the the new iPad pro.

Im a student so can get it discounted with a free set of $/€150 beats.

I know someone who travels the US for work. I was considering ordering it online and getting them to pick.

Would save about €200 by getting it in the US

Has anybody every done this before and did the person you have nominated as the pick up person ever run into any issues?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I know someone who travels the US for work. I was considering ordering it online and getting them to pick.

Has anybody every done this before and did the person you have nominated as the pick up person ever run into any issues?

Hopefully, they don't get stopped by customs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

kceire wrote: »

brought stuff plenty of times over there myself and never had any issues coming through customs. I'm just not going to america anything soon myself to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Somebody always says this. Do you think that customs are after people who buy one iPad in the US?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

murpho999 wrote: »
    Somebody always says this. Do you think that customs are after people who buy one iPad in the US?

What, you mean do their job?
    You don't know what people are doing whe they arrive in. If customs find they are blatantly over thieir allowance, everything becomes fair game, and they can charge Vat/duty on the lot. People should be aware that there is a possibility of being hit with an extra 23%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you're worried about customs and don't mind not getting to open it yourself, you could have them open it and 'use' it on the plane.

I doubt they would be stopped with one though. They'd be very unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

brought stuff plenty of times over there myself and never had any issues coming through customs. I'm just not going to america anything soon myself to get it

Done it myself many times, but always for myself.
    murpho999 wrote: »

I usually recommend buying in the Us if you are there, i've done it many times in the past and have posted about it on here.

In this instance, I would be worried as if my friend is stopped , they have to pay the money, then I have to pay my friend. It could get messy. And it could throw the eye on my friend who may be buying some other items for themselves also. All for a €200 saving only.....

Would it not be better with the current stg rate, to buy up in Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I bought a Dell laptop in USA, about 12 years ago. The company totally blanked me later, when I tried getting a repair sorted. My US friend was blanked too.

Are some manufacturers better than others at recognising international warren ties?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Roadtoad wrote: »
    I bought a Dell laptop in USA, about 12 years ago. The company totally blanked me later, when I tried getting a repair sorted. My US friend was blanked too.

Are some manufacturers better than others at recognising international warren ties?

Apple will look after it for the first year. After that, with a US purchase, you are on your own. If you buy in Ireland you are afforded protection by the Sale of Goods Act. Apple have a worldwide warranty on most portable products, if not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Done it myself many times, but always for myself.

I usually recommend buying in the Us if you are there, i've done it many times in the past and have posted about it on here.

In this instance, I would be worried as if my friend is stopped , they have to pay the money, then I have to pay my friend. It could get messy. And it could throw the eye on my friend who may be buying some other items for themselves also. All for a €200 saving only.....

Would it not be better with the current stg rate, to buy up in Belfast?

I think the friend being stopped is unlikely.
    I would also advise to not bring the box home.

I do wonder how much savings are to be made when you add in state taxes, currency costs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

To answer the question the OP made, yes it is possible to purchase it and have someone named to pick it up. There’s an option at the checkout where you select that you will have someone else pick it up for you and you fill out the details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hi Guys,

1 pick up in store will require student ID in the states.
    2. I assume you know price on site is less tax in us so add on 9% for nyc. And then duties payable on arrival back to Ireland.

Advertisement