Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping off GP Scheme

Options
  • 11-09-2017 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering if anyone has experience with switching specialties/ withdrawing from the gp scheme and going for a medical specialty? I was very torn when applying in the first place but went for gp for a number of reasons however coming to regret my decision of not giving hospital medicine a try first.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of switching schemes and more importantly if i withdraw would i be completely excluded from ever getting back onto the gp scheme, cant seem to find any info on the icgp website. Just trying to weigh up my options so would appreciate any input!

Comments

verbatim98 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with switching specialties/ withdrawing from the gp scheme and going for a medical specialty? I was very torn when applying in the first place but went for gp for a number of reasons however coming to regret my decision of not giving hospital medicine a try first.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of switching schemes and more importantly if i withdraw would i be completely excluded from ever getting back onto the gp scheme, cant seem to find any info on the icgp website. Just trying to weigh up my options so would appreciate any input!

What speciality are you thinking of as some are very competitive as I'm sure you know. What are your reasons for changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 verbatim98

What speciality are you thinking of as some are very competitive as I'm sure you know. What are your reasons for changing?

Yes, well versed in the competitive process for applying for the schemes. My main reason for switching is I'm really enjoying hospital medicine from my initial stages of my GP training and would like to stick with it.

Just wondering if anyone has done similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

On my Dublin based scheme we've had 1 every 1-2 years drop out to pursue other things, usually calling quits in 1st or 2nd year. Obs, psych and a girlfriend in Australia were amongst the things pursued, haven't come back to GP in the meantime!

It's always harder to get back on but never impossible. You may as well go for what you're interested in. Worth remembering that you can do GP in 3 years if you've done a medical scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 verbatim98

Vorsprung wrote: »
    On my Dublin based scheme we've had 1 every 1-2 years drop out to pursue other things, usually calling quits in 1st or 2nd year. Obs, psych and a girlfriend in Australia were amongst the things pursued, haven't come back to GP in the meantime!

It's always harder to get back on but never impossible. You may as well go for what you're interested in. Worth remembering that you can do GP in 3 years if you've done a medical scheme.

Thanks a lot for the info vorsprung, might pop you a pm if thats ok? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Sure, fire ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

you'd honestly be better off sticking it through. GP scheme is one of the only schemes (along with anesthesia) that gets proper training. The medical BST is an absolute farce, spr isn't much better. You might be on a nice medical post now, but there are some horrendous ones out thee; medical sho is glorified intern, entirely a service job. In ten years time if you have scarified your physical health, your social life +/- your mental health, you will be competing with chaps who have done their training in half the time in the US, and who are better trained than you. GP you won't be at the mercy of HSE. If I were you i'd stick with GP scheme. get your qualification in that, do your medical memberships on the side. IF at the end of the GP training you're still itching for hospital medicine, you can work as a reg for a few years or even apply for palliative spr. A friend of mine did gp scheme and jumped straight in to ED SPR. plenty options. don't burn your gp bridge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DogBun

If I were you i'd stick with GP scheme. get your qualification in that, do your medical memberships on the side. IF at the end of the GP training you're still itching for hospital medicine, you can work as a reg

This is excellent advice.

A CCST if a very valuable thing. If you're on the scheme, it's worth sticking it through to the end. It's only 4 years total so you wouldn't even lose out on time relative to the people who go to Aus/NZ for a few years and then come back to start medical training.

Advertisement