Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Air Traffic control on Strike(Again)

Options
  • 11-09-2017 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Just arrived in France and heard Air traffic control are going on strike.
    How long do these strikes last for usually ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

If you do a search the media are saying this one is for Tuesday Sept 12th only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Another strike due next week 21st and 23rd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Another strike due next week 21st and 23rd.
    Phew, im flying the 22nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Number one site for you speed dial if you deal with France at all regularly :

http://www.cestlagreve.fr

Just the fact that there is such a says so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Locker10a wrote: »
    Phew, im flying the 22nd

I'm in the same boat as yourself. Nearly shat myself when I seen the article 21st and two days... I initially thought 21st for 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Crap. I'm flying to Lanzorote on Sept 23rd. Will this strike likely affect me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Which airline? If AL then although your flight isnt planned to cross France (usually the routing is across the Bay of Biscay outside of French airspace) you could indirectly be affected for a couple of reasons. Firstly when France closes its airspace or restricts capacity due to a strike the German and Spanish ATC sectors become overwhelmed as all the airlines try and avoid French airspace. This can result in slots, capacity restrictions etc in those areas not on strike. Secondly, your aircraft may be delayed as it could be caught up in the carnage from earlier rotations throughout the day. If you have an early morning departure then you should be better placed as the aircraft will more than likely be at its base ready for departure on its first rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Thanks for the response. I believe it's a charter airline - smartwings whom I'm flying with.

Veloce wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I believe it's a charter airline - smartwings whom I'm flying with.
    I doubt you'll be cancelled but expect delays, if you're on time then you've got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Any possibility these strikes will extend to other days? Flying to Palma on 18th and back 25th.

• Advertisement

jimbis wrote: »
    Any possibility these strikes will extend to other days? Flying to Palma on 18th and back 25th.
    They actually generally tend to be called off rather than spread, from experience anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Can someone explain why they're always striking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

January wrote: »

They're French? :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Strangely they believe in standing up for their rights.

Its expected, unlike here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Strangely they believe in standing up for their rights.

Its expected, unlike here.

Those awful Train, Bus, Luas, drivers, Guards and teachers here never standing up for their rights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

In this case it was a national day of strike I think, all civil servants walk off the job together in Solidarity. They do it every time politicians try and increase the working week or reduce pensions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

They're at it again. Holding hostage to tens of thousands. Do these guys ever stop ? How in the name of God can the EU allow this to continue year on year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

mattser wrote: »
    They're at it again. Holding hostage to tens of thousands. Do these guys ever stop ? How in the name of God can the EU allow this to continue year on year ?

The European Convention of Human Rights protects the right to collective bargaining and industrial action.

https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/eurwork/articles/echr-upholds-right-to-collective-bargaining-and-to-strike

faoiarvok wrote: »

The European Convention of Human Rights protects the right to collective bargaining and industrial action.

https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/eurwork/articles/echr-upholds-right-to-collective-bargaining-and-to-strike

Yeah I’ll be worried when the EU doesn’t protect the right to democratically initiate a strike or industrial action

As it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

It is not as if it is a surprise. Macron if you read the news was always going to push for some deregulation, and so this was inevitable.

As it should be.

Spoiled children. . Doesn't seem to be nearly as big a problem for their colleagues across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Perhaps read up on French politics and you’ll understand that President Macron is trying to push through massive public sector labour reforms, including the length of the working week, pensions and other aspects. Needless to say the unions don’t like it.

Consequently industrial action across the entire public sector.

This is going to run for a while I suspect, but he has the majority in Parliament so apart from disrupting everyone it’s difficult to see what the unions can do in the long run.

Not good for the rest of us but the French right to strike and protest is one of their cherished freedoms.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Perhaps read up on French politics and you’ll understand that President Macron is trying to push through massive public sector labour reforms, including the length of the working week, pensions and other aspects. Needless to say the unions don’t like it.

Consequently industrial action across the entire public sector.

This is going to run for a while I suspect, but he has the majority in Parliament so apart from disrupting everyone it’s difficult to see what the unions can do in the long run.

Not good for the rest of us but the French right to strike and protest is one of their cherished freedoms.

Perhaps you hadn't noticed that they were at this crack long before Macron. Since 2005, out of 357 ATC strikes in the eurozone, 249 were French. Costing the eurozone economy €12 billion. Sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Perhaps you hadn't noticed that they were at this crack long before Macron. Since 2005, out of 357 ATC strikes in the eurozone, 249 were French. Costing the eurozone economy €12 billion. Sick.

Well you asked what this dispute was about - I’ve told you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its obviously annoying when the strikes impact your flight but I have to say overall fair play to them. ATC of all nationalities do an extremely stressful job, and have responsibility for a lot of people's lives in their hands every day. They should have the best working conditions possible. If Macron is trying to increase their working week's hours or reduce their pension then I'm completely on the ATC side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The strikes are very OTT, but it's what the French are known for, and I don't foresee a law that cannot be seen as unfair to some party!

Also, yes ATC is a very important job, however they get well compensated. Just because their job is important, are they deserving of in essence whatever wages they choose? Not trying to get too deep into the debate, but several other very important professions , perhaps moreso, like Nurses and Gardaí, aren't particularly well compensated whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

In many cases, the controllers aren't striking over their own conditions in particular, but in solidarity with other public sector workers, or against public sector pay reforms as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's coming into Summer, it's France, it's air traffic control, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In many cases, the controllers aren't striking over their own conditions in particular, but in solidarity with other public sector workers, or against public sector pay reforms as a whole.

More likely they know that if the air traffic goes on strike it has an impact if accounts in a municipal district goes on strike no one will notice.

Advertisement