Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Air Traffic control on Strike(Again)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The strikes are very OTT, but it's what the French are known for, and I don't foresee a law that cannot be seen as unfair to some party!

Also, yes ATC is a very important job, however they get well compensated. Just because their job is important, are they deserving of in essence whatever wages they choose? Not trying to get too deep into the debate, but several other very important professions , perhaps moreso, like Nurses and GardaB], aren't particularly well compensated whatsoever.

Gardai can't strike, and the public here get het up anytime they threaten to take any action.

French ATC have had 249 strikes since 2005, and yet people defend them.

I really hope those who defend this carry on, are left high and dry across Europe for the summer and beyond. They deserve it.
    Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

On strike again this Saturday and Sunday.
    I only found out this morning that there was more strikes.Was it known the strike was scheduled for this weekend or I like everyone else just found out this morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I only found out this morning that there was more strikes.Was it known the strike was scheduled for this weekend or I like everyone else just found out this morning ?

Its been talked about for the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

It’s only Marseille, they were on strike last weekend too as were Barcelona. Apparently Marseille are striking over the removal of 24/7 engineering cover, so if something breaks on a Friday evening, unless it’s absolutely critical it won’t be fixed until Monday.

The Catalans were striking over staff shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Any others flagged as coming in the immediate few weeks?

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Any others flagged as coming in the immediate few weeks?

I think Marseille are on strike pretty much every weekend for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I'm meant to be flying Dublin to Berlin tomorrow? Anyone know if this will be affected? I wouldn't imagine it would be on the flightpath but I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I'm meant to be flying Dublin to Berlin tomorrow? Anyone know if this will be affected? I wouldn't imagine it would be on the flightpath but I could be wrong.
    Even routes not over dance may be affected by delays, as traffic avoids the restricted airspace the surrounding ones end up with capacity issues which means holding flights on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Macron needs to sort his sht out now. Between annual and rolling SNCF and ATC and so many more strikes every year it is ridiculous. I don't care if they strike, but when they affect many European destinations it is just ridiculous.

BTW their strike pay must be better than their actual pay to be able to do this ad infinitum.

Macron needs to sort his sht out now. Between annual and rolling SNCF and ATC and so many more strikes every year it is ridiculous. I don't care if they strike, but when they affect many European destinations it is just ridiculous.

BTW their strike pay must be better than their actual pay to be able to do this ad infinitum.

Most of the time French ATC don’t actually strike. The general union (eg IMPACT, SIPTU etc) call a general strike and the government imposes flow control as a result, but pretty much everyone in ATC still shows up to work I’ve been told, as they don’t want to lose a day’s pay when it’s going to be an easy one.

Previous ones this year are the usual solidarity stuff (train drivers in this case I think), the Marseille stuff is a separate ATC specific issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Does anyone know if Ryanair flights to/from Faro are affected when French atc are striking? I know Spanish ones are usually cancelled but not sure if Faro would have a route over French air space...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

sillysocks wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Ryanair flights to/from Faro are affected when French atc are striking? I know Spanish ones are usually cancelled but not sure if Faro would have a route over French air space...
    Yes I’d say they will be affected as they fly the airspace surrounding France which will all be at capacity as flights avoid the French areas, this will cause delays such as flights being held on the ground until a time safer capacity levels are reached in the relevant airspace control areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yes I’d say they will be affected as they fly the airspace surrounding France which will all be at capacity as flights avoid the French areas, this will cause delays such as flights being held on the ground until a time safer capacity levels are reached in the relevant airspace control areas

And usually Ryanair are pretty bad at canceling rather than delaying so probably won’t be good news for Faro with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

sillysocks wrote: »
    And usually Ryanair are pretty bad at canceling rather than delaying so probably won’t be good news for Faro with Ryanair.

FR7034 DUB-FAO pushed a few minutes early this morning, no slots or delays

Going again this weekend meh.

Going again this weekend meh.

This is the first time I've seen Euro countries start to sit up and say " Enough of this crap "
    It's taken far too long, but it's a start.

It will be interesting to see how successful it is.

I'd love to see these ****s sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

mattser wrote: »
    This is the first time I've seen Euro countries start to sit up and say " Enough of this crap "
    It's taken far too long, but it's a start.

It will be interesting to see how successful it is.

I'd love to see these ****s sorted out.

Genuinely curious but do you have any idea as to the underling cause of the strike?
    If so can you please post a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Genuinely curious but do you have any idea as to the underling cause of the strike?

At the risk of coming across as flippant... France? :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're French. That's it.

Genuinely curious, do you know what the strike is about?
    If so can you post a link?

Staff cuts & lack of investment. Which is fair enough, but as I posted earlier in the thread;

Since 2005, out of 357 ATC strikes in the eurozone, 249 were French. Costing the eurozone economy €12 billion.

Time they were taken out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

My understanding, which is totally open to correction, is that the unions have been so successful in improving pay and conditions for current workers that the providers can’t afford to hire enough new staff on the same terms to meet the requirements to replace those retiring and moving on, leading controllers to strike because they’re now short staffed.

faoiarvok wrote: »
    My understanding, which is totally open to correction, is that the unions have been so successful in improving pay and conditions for current workers that the providers can’t afford to hire enough new staff on the same terms to meet the requirements to replace those retiring and moving on, leading controllers to strike because they’re now short staffed.

Again, fair enough. But isn't it long since time the rest of flying Europe, and it's governments, cried stop.

One would have to concur with recent posters in the thread, that basically it's a French fcuk you thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Don't follow your logic there. More and more aircraft in the skies flying across France. Less ATCers. Would there not be a clear safety issue developing?

Going again tomorrow and sunday.

Going again tomorrow and sunday.

It’s every weekend for the summer

billie1b wrote: »
    It’s every weekend for the summer
    So september is ok ?

basill wrote: »
    Don't follow your logic there. More and more aircraft in the skies flying across France. Less ATCers. Would there not be a clear safety issue developing?

Really ?

Macron and his predecessors hadn't the will or ability to sort them out.

Meanwhile the EU sit on their hands while these wasters cost the industry
    12 billion.

Hundreds of thousands of travellers are treated like ****.

And you question my logic. Grand.

So september is ok ?

Supposedly the last weekend in August is the last of it but could be extended, so can’t say for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Is there a list of the cancelled flights? I have looked but my brain is heat addled and I can't seem to find anything. Flying twice next weekend so just trying to gauge if I might get caught up in this (flights are to Italy and Germany).

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Really ?

Macron and his predecessors hadn't the will or ability to sort them out.

Meanwhile the EU sit on their hands while these wasters cost the industry
    12 billion.

Hundreds of thousands of travellers are treated like ****.

And you question my logic. Grand.

Even MOL says they there aren’t enough controllers in Europe. ATC is facing the same problem as many parts of the industry. Chronic lack of investment and cost cutting during the recession followed by an absolute boom in the industry. Runways, Taxiways, aprons, airways and sectors are bursting at the seams across the continent.

Advertisement