Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my box lid stay up!

Options
  • 11-09-2017 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Very annoying, its a mistake with my hinge recesses i bet...did i make them too deep or too shallow?! The box itself is just a cheap plywood demo ....I plan to make a batch of them. So i've made lot of jigs and templates for this project....only thing is...i think i need redo by hinge recess jig. I would really appreciate some fresh insight!!!!(Help) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The hinges are recessed too deep, are those hinges meant to be surface mounted not recessed at all , regular 2" brass butt hinges would look a lot neater .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Problem is you have recessed both leafs of the hinge , deeper than the leaf thickness
    and you should not have.

Basically you have identified the issue yourself, its hingebound.

Recessing these hinges is not possible as you have done.

These hinges are normally used in kitchen cabinetry and the like, and are never recessed
    into the carcass .

Because these hinges are interlocked into each other they are not recessed, as they dont need to be.

Choose a different hinge.

Beaten again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

kadman wrote: »
    Beaten again:D

You need to set your alarm for 2 minutes earlier

No it was the second wheetabix that slowed me up:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yup, they are hingebound. If you don't want the damage to be visible just pack them out with some veneer or cardboard until they are just raised from the surface. Plain solid brass hinges would look neater though.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Yep...thanks all. i should'nt of made a recess for the top leaf i.e on the lid....i should have just made the recess for the thickness of the lower cranked leaf on the side of the box.. My thinking behind using the cranked hinges was the design of the box lid...as in when it flipped open...they would give better hold to the lid and main box than what a butt hinge would do. I guess if i'm using hardwood for the box, the strength of hold of a butt hinge (say with six screws) would be more than adequate and as u say look better. Thanks for the feedback

With those cranked 'lay on' hinges you just have to accept they will raise the lid off the box by a mm or two - fine for utility boxes but a no no for fine jewellery boxes or humidors.
    Fitting butt hinges on a box can be frustrating. I insert the bottom leaf and then superglue the lid to the back of the upper leaf allowing the lid to open and then mark the screwholes. If you see nice short brass screws buy them - my local hardware guy told me 'they were a thing of the past ':eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

recipio wrote: »
    With those cranked 'lay on' hinges you just have to accept they will raise the lid off the box by a mm or two - fine for utility boxes but a no no for fine jewellery boxes or humidors.
    Fitting butt hinges on a box can be frustrating. I insert the bottom leaf and then superglue the lid to the back of the upper leaf allowing the lid to open and then mark the screwholes. If you see nice short brass screws buy them - my local hardware guy told me 'they were a thing of the past ':eek:

2.5 x 13 freely available from Hafele in Greystones.

Grueller wrote: »
    2.5 x 13 freely available from Hafele in Greystones.

Is that a retail outlet - I thought Hafele were wholesale only ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement