Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC housing position. I'm in shock.

Options
  • 12-09-2017 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hello there. I wanted to post here and ask if anyone was in a similar position as I am. I'm currently on the HAP scheme. And I have a 7 month old when I was pregnant I was in the hundreds on the waiting list. But I received a letter saying my position is now number 65 I was in shock I even rang to make sure a digit wasn't missing in front of that 65. So I'm just wondering would I still be waiting years to be housed? As for the area I chose there is just 64 people ahead of me but who knows how many people in a year they give to that band of area. Just so anxious I'm in a tiny 1 bed which I'm grateful for a roof over my head but would love to know if anyone was in a sim

isnt half the country having babies to get up the list.. surprised you didnt know that.... tongue in cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

isnt half the country having babies to get up the list.. surprised you didnt know that.... tongue in cheek

And the other half firmly positioned on their high horses...tongue not in cheek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

An original post for a newly reged ,

Unfortunately I don't believe the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Gatling wrote: »
    An original post for a newly reged ,

Unfortunately I don't believe the op.

Why? Contrary to popular opinion, there are areas of the country without a huge housing shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you can get advice from crosscare advice centre.
    my friend waiting 7 years ,
    my friend was on rent allowance in a 3 bed house,
    for 7 years .
    in year 8 she got a 2bed apartment in finglas .
    its on the news every week ,housing crisis .people living in hotels etc
    women with 2 kids living in hotels etc
    My info in dublin was women with one child will be offered a 2 bed apartment .
    the council only give 3 bed houses to people with at least 2 children.
    Thats what she was told .
    if you are on the dublin list you can apply for 3 -4 area,s ,
    option1,2 ,3 etc eg finglas,swords ,city centre .
    are you saying you just app;lied for one area .?
    why limit your choice .
    going down to no 65 sounds good to me.
    Are you expecting to be offered a house ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

frag420 wrote: »
    And the other half firmly positioned on their high horses...tongue not in cheek!!

A lot taxpayers are sick of hearing sob stories from mothers who moaning not being giving a house or an apartment as they children. Why should you just automatically get a house because you have a child?

A lot of people wonder why do the state have to hand someone a house just they have had a child. Sure one of the famous homeless 'campaigners' was continuing to have children while 'homeless'. Instead of blaming the state, some people need personal responsibility.

In 2017, living in a country with cheap and easily available contraceptives. It is really not too much to ask people to make sure they can house a child before they conceive it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Many authorities won't consider a girl with only 1 child. Some have to have a 2nd baby to get higher up the housing list. Well done hun x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Lickin2me

Most council estates in dublin are kips. A lot people living in them have a believe that they shouldnt keep there estate clean. That council workers will and they work less than hour day and get paid full weeks work. Private estates dont have council workers cleaning up everyday. These people paid hard earned cash for there homes and respect there communitys. Whole system needs be reviewed and stop wasting money on corporation workers not working and residents being pure filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So I'm just wondering would I still be waiting years to be housed? As for the area I chose there is just 64 people ahead of me but who knows how many people in a year they give to that band of area.

You are waiting for the 64 people ahead of your to be offered and accept:

1 A new built house in the area, or
    2 A house that someone else has decided to move out of (full move-out, not transfer), or
    3 A house where the current tenant has died.

In cases 2 and 3, before the offer, the house also needs to be inspected by the council (adds some weeks) and if there are major problems with it it may also need to be refurbished (can add months, if the council don't have budget for the degree of fixing-up needed).

I don't have any figures about which of these three options frees up more council houses each year, but suspect that it's 3.

Also, it is possible that someone with more housing need than you will apply for housing andso join the list, and be placed higher than you because they need a house more. So you can end up going down the list as well as up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just to hijack very quickly, I thought they had done away with "numbers" on the list. We enquired recently and were told it was a points based system and there were no more "positions" on the list?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- no more snide commentary on our social welfare system and/or recipients.
    This is your one and only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

You dont know the OP's situation, for all all you know she may have been sexually assaulted and ended up pregnant, unplanned and now in a situation that none of us would want to be in. Maybe it was planned and er partner left her or dies perhaps and she cant afford to rent?

Would you suggest we let her live on the streets with her kids?

I am all for personal responsibility but until you know the full story I suggest you buy binoculars so you can see from your high horse!!
    A lot taxpayers are sick of hearing sob stories from mothers who moaning not being giving a house or an apartment as they children. Why should you just automatically get a house because you have a child?

A lot of people wonder why do the state have to hand someone a house just they have had a child. Sure one of the famous homeless 'campaigners' was continuing to have children while 'homeless'. Instead of blaming the state, some people need personal responsibility.

In 2017, living in a country with cheap and easily available contraceptives. It is really not too much to ask people to make sure they can house a child before they conceive it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Councils will accept any person on the housing list ,
    if your incomes is less than x amount,you live in the local authority area.
    If you have one child you will likely be offered a 2 bed unit,
    probably an apartment.
    I would be suprised if a single parent with 1 child would be offered a 3bed house.

i think the current system is you put 4 area,s on the form,
    you get points depending on , your health status,age, how many children you have,
    if you have not put swords on the form you wont get offered a house in swords.
    http://www.crosscare.ie/
    they have an advice centre in cathedral street just off 0,connell st.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Without people like the OP having children, there will be fewer people around to pay your state pension or look after you when you're sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lux23 wrote: »
    Without people like the OP having children, there will be fewer people around to pay your state pension or look after you when you're sick.

But where children of lifetime social welfare recipients are statistically more likely to become themselves long term social welfare recipients (as like begat like), that's not exactly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

frag420 wrote: »
    You dont know the OP's situation, for all all you know she may have been sexually assaulted and ended up pregnant, unplanned and now in a situation that none of us would want to be in. Maybe it was planned and er partner left her or dies perhaps and she cant afford to rent?

Would you suggest we let her live on the streets with her kids?

I am all for personal responsibility but until you know the full story I suggest you buy binoculars so you can see from your high horse!!

unlikely... on balance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- I'm seriously unhappy with the direction this thread seems insistent on taking- despite an onthread warning- accordingly, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement