Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 WMR 16" or 20" barrel

Options
  • 12-09-2017 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Just wondering on peoples thoughts on .17 WMR with different barrel lengths.

Am looking at one at the moment in the 16" and 20" versions, both 1:12. My first thought would be more accuracy with the 20" but am leaning towards the 16" plus moderator will make it 20" anyway.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

It's not a target round to begin with so there's little enough to be gained by the extra length in the first place; and given field size targets then it definitely isn't going to be an issue - I'd go for the 16" with the mod as you suggest. Leaves you with a lighter rig that's easier to manouver in cover.

On a more personal note, and potentially because I'm a shortarse, I also find that the loss of that weight way out front improves my hold in unsupported field positions - pulls the CoG of the gun back in towards my chest and just generally makes the rifle easier to point. If you're taller then it'll likely make no difference in that regard.

Anschutz do one if you fancy spending some proper money - the 1517 I believe. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I'm pretty sure there's one for sale secondhand in Outdoor sports in Mullingar. Well worth a look at, the guy who previously owned it worked in there and looked after it like a child!

edit: https://outdoorsports.ie/collections/guns/products/anschutz-1517-17hmr-rifle
    There it is - AFAIK there's a mod, scope and couple of mags with it. Rolls Royce of 17HMR right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tommoylan

16inch all the way deadly accurate. 455 cz

Advertisement