Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monoprice 124166 Select Mini 3D Printer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

£211.53 for anyone that doesnt want to click

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Pre-ordered, thanks mate, interested to hear what boardies think of it, always wanted 3D-printer and this finally is affordable, but will it be as good as reviewed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'd advise anyone to interested to do some research and read as many reviews as possible.

These are great little machines, but they require time and fiddling to get them to work right. Rarely perfect out of the box. If you're willing to put in a bit of effort then buy away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

This will be my first 3d printer. Its the first time I've seen one at a relatively affordable price.

I'm not sure what to expect but at least one friend has one and seems to be really enjoying it for printing out board-game pieces and novelties so far. Hes learning as he tinkers with it.

Another thing I saw suggested for the printer was to print some new parts for it which should improve its performance. That may apply to the version 1 more than this version 2. I'm not sure.

From what else I've seen some of the better software (Simplify 3d) that will assist with improving prints is about €150 to buy. Its an additional cost that might have to taken into account though. There are various open-source solutions out there too.

Its all a learning experience, starting suggestions welcome from those with more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kayshee123

I'd like to buy one of these now that they're at an affordable price. Dunno what I would use it for though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Kayshee123 wrote: »
    I'd like to buy one of these now that they're at an affordable price. Dunno what I would use it for though :pac:

You could print yourself an insulated bottle.

Kayshee123 wrote: »

https://www.youpak.com/watch?v=vvHT9DR-Ug4

This is one of the more interesting ideas I've seen for 3d printing

Lithophanes: 3D Printing Your Photos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I think this will be very interesting for keys. We pay Cunneens in Cork about €90 each for high security keys with semicylindrical barrels and I haven't run across anyone else who could clone it. Well enter the 3D printer - ok the key won't last very long, but it only needs to work once.... So much for high security.

Also if I want a "surf" key for my VW ie one that will open the doors but not start the car. I could leave the real key hidden in the car and take one of these cheap plastic keys on the beach, out surfing or give one to the kids. No biggie if it gets lost whereas buying a replacement key from VW is over €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kayshee123

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Shipped today. Thanks OP

Looks like they shipped v1 instead of v2 advertised, thinking of sending back, will print a couple of models to see if quality is ok for the price, but v2 is definitely superior.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Looks like they shipped v1 instead of v2 advertised, thinking of sending back, will print a couple of models to see if quality is ok for the price, but v2 is definitely superior.

That's very disappointing. They were queried about that and confirmed it would be V2. V1 has no wireless capability which would be useful for using it from a different room. Plus various fixes from the V1.

Started to print demo 3d-cat and it only printed half, then got jammed, so the rest of the cat is printed with thin air :( Not sure how to fix it, but considering this happened within first hour of use I'm thinking to send it back. Is it normally for 3D printers to jam that often? If someone wondering, I have calibrated it and followed instruction in the manual.

Started to print demo 3d-cat and it only printed half, then got jammed, so the rest of the cat is printed with thin air :( Not sure how to fix it, but considering this happened within first hour of use I'm thinking to send it back. Is it normally for 3D printers to jam that often? If someone wondering, I have calibrated it and followed instruction in the manual.

See my post no.4

I'd be very surprised if it was perfect out of the box.
    You'd be hard pressed to get a ready to print, bulletproof machine for less than 2k.

You'll have to find out why it jammed and fix it. They probably have a facebook user group or forum

eeguy wrote: »
    See my post no.4

I'd be very surprised if it was perfect out of the box.
    You'd be hard pressed to get a ready to print, bulletproof machine for less than 2k.

You'll have to find out why it jammed and fix it. They probably have a facebook user group or forum

I have spent a couple of hours yesterday calibrating it, etc, so I didn't just put it on the table and print :) But I didn't expect it to jam that fast. And I used filament came with it, so can't blame it. I'll look into the FB groups thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

I'd check to see that the filament is unwinding off the filament holder smoothly, the filament might of got caught and then wouldn't fed into the nozzle. Could also be a clogged nozzle.

Best to just remove filament from printer head, check nozzle is clear and feed filament back in.

rebelbmx wrote: »
    I'd check to see that the filament is unwinding off the filament holder smoothly, the filament might of got caught and then wouldn't fed into the nozzle. Could also be a clogged nozzle.

Best to just remove filament from printer head, check nozzle is clear and feed filament back in.

I wish it was that easy, I tried it already and more tricks from some forums, its not flowing at all, and raising the temp is only pouring a little bit out of it. Nozzle looks clean, looks like it stuck somewhere inside :(

• Advertisement

I wish it was that easy, I tried it already and more tricks from some forums, its not flowing at all, and raising the temp is only pouring a little bit out of it. Nozzle looks clean, looks like it stuck somewhere inside :(

If filament is going in then it should be coming out.

1)check temps; should be 190 to 210 for PLA. Any less and it won't flow, any more and it might burn.

2) check extruder gear: Make sure it hasn't ground down the filament and is just spinning freely

3) Have a look at this: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/149-atomic-method

eeguy wrote: »
    If filament is going in then it should be coming out.
    Its not going in :(
    1)check temps; should be 190 to 210 for PLA. Any less and it won't flow, any more and it might burn.

Temp is 200, was anyway, I tried a fix to raise temp to 240 but it could already made it worse :(
    2) check extruder gear: Make sure it hasn't ground down the filament and is just spinning freely
    its all good on this side, it tries to push it, but can't
    thanks!

Ok, Then i'd unplug the hollow tube from the hot end side and try to manually push some filament through.
    Do the atomic clean as well, just to get any blockages out.

There could be a kink in the filament getting it jammed.
    There hot end could be blocked.
    The filament might be hitting something between when it leaves the tube and gets to the hotend and getting stuck.

Sometimes if that tube isn't pushed ALL the way in there's a gap left between the tube and the hotend. The filament ends up getting stuck in here. Happened to me a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

So, in terms of a bargain, is the V1 a good deal?

Looks like all the Amazon reviews are saying this is the V1, and that it's overpriced for that. I wonder have Amazon edited the description, as it no longer mentions what version it is, and there's no mention of a wireless function or anything like that.

I see the V2 from the manufacturer is $220, so £217 for the older version doesn't strike me as a very good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Started to print demo 3d-cat and it only printed half, then got jammed, so the rest of the cat is printed with thin air :(

This is perfectly normal for 3D printing. Its up to you to calibrate fix setup use correct temp speed software support placement etc. And when you learn everything and set it up perfectly it will still happen:mad:. LOTS of learning and setting and testing needed to get good results. Maybe google "Cold Pull" and "atomic pull" if you have a clog. You will also need to know how to take it apart to clear tough clogs.

Irish 3D Printing facebook group if anyone wants to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3dprintingireland/

We have one in work that cost over 500,000e and it can still get crap prints.
    For 200e expect to get out of it what you put in effort wise

Took a whole thing apart; oh man, I must say, I learn a lot about 3D printing in one day :) Got it cleaned, the part of filament (still intact) broke inside the head and so it wasn't clogged, now its all back up and running, thanks guys for your help! New filament is on its way and I will be more careful with it next time :)

We have one in work that cost over 500,000e

:eek::eek::eek: Does it print houses :eek::eek::eek:, for that price it must :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

E string from a guitar is supposed to be good for fully blocked nozzle, I went on a search for something to fit, cheapy yellow transparent clothesline had a metal wire core which was good and rigid and worked a treat. Copper wire is too flexible to be of use.

• Advertisement

I see they are selling this on amazon (monoprice) now as well

Monoprice Maker Select V2 3D Printer with UK Type G Power Plug

Some discussion about comparing the two printers below

https://www.reddit.com/r/MPSelectMiniOwners/comments/6argho/select_mini_v2_vs_select/

I also now see someone on the amazon reviews now claiming that what was sent out was a V3 (nothing official on this) with a V2 firmware and motherboard but the shell of a V1.

"it is a sort of hybrid (V3 as stated in my box) the shell and hot end are the V1 the main board and firmware are the V2 (mine came with firmware 36). Other than color and hotend mods you can treat this as a V2" Then rates it 5 stars... Sounds like damage control.

The product description says V1.

Advertisement