Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrase - Breaking your arse

Options
  • 12-09-2017 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does anyone use the phrase 'breaking your arse' anymore? It was fairly common in Dublin in the eighties, but I can't find it on Google (the crappy US 'busting your butt' comes up instead). And does it still mean to hurt yourself physically, to have a fall or something? Many TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I use it all the time

That was gas, I broke my arse laughing
    I broke my arse at work, it was so busy

I'd actually rarely, if ever, use it to say I hurt myself

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gate12

Thanks a million, I'm glad it's still being used. So if someone fell playing basketball, say, it wouldn't be okay to say 'they broke their arse on the court?' Or, 'I fell on the path in Camden Street and nearly broke me arse?' I remember using it like this as a teenager, but the meaning may have changed.

Fairly common nationwide IMO & it doesn't mean to hurt oneself and isn't used in that context.

As mentioned is context I'd use it in .........
    L'prof wrote: »

That was gas, I broke my arse laughing
    I broke my arse at work, it was so busy

Advertisement