Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn breastfeeding question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

Hi guys. Thank you so much for all the messages. They have kept me somewhat sane! I was just becoming confident with breastfeeding and yesterday made me rethink everything. It looks like you were all correct. The PHN rang me today and when I told her I got 2.5 oz from one breast she said that is loads and that I don't need to top my LO up with formula. I just have to get her weighed again next week but everything should be fine. I'm glad I held off on given the formula bottle last night now. After all the hard work with breastfeeding for the first ten days I'm glad I can stick with it now and it wasn't all a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's great starface, nice to get a second opinion. One bit of advice I got and still stick to is, don't make any decisions while it's dark! You're not at your most rational when it's late and you're tired. Always hold off til the morning!

But no matter what happens, the breast feeding you have done so far will never be a waste. Every single breast feed you give is good for the baby. If you do supplement with formula, they are still getting the benefits of breast feeding. So it's certainly not the end of the world if you do go down that route.

ncmc wrote: »
    That's great starface, nice to get a second opinion. One bit of advice I got and still stick to is, don't make any decisions while it's dark! You're not at your most rational when it's late and you're tired. Always hold off til the morning!

But no matter what happens, the breast feeding you have done so far will never be a waste. Every single breast feed you give is good for the baby. If you do supplement with formula, they are still getting the benefits of breast feeding. So it's certainly not the end of the world if you do go down that route.

Yeah you're right. I dunno why it was bugging me so much. I was literally ready to just formula feed full time last night and give up BFIng. Must be the hormones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

starface wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. I dunno why it was bugging me so much. I was literally ready to just formula feed full time last night and give up BFIng. Must be the hormones!!
    Trust me, we've all been there. At 4:30 this morning I would have gladly given my little buttmunch a bottle of formula! That's why I don't keep it in the house! I know some people keep a box 'just in case' but I think it could get way too tempting

Baby is eight weeks now and getting so big. I’m still feeding her myself and it’s going really well. just wanted to say thanks for all your replies when I needed them in the early days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement