Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house (new build)

Options
  • 12-09-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

We'll be moving house in the next 6-7 weeks. Ahead of the event, I've started to think through the process and what needs to be done. For those more familiar than I, am I missing anything?

Pre-move
    • Clearout: hire skip / clear out junk (no point paying to move stuff we will end up throwing out anyway)
    • Packing: get boxes / labelling (OR quotes for movers to also pack contents)
    • Utilities: confirm CoA and switch over date (electricity, gas, refuse, water, internet, TV licence, log book, Revenue)
    • Insurances: confirm CoA / any change to costs
    • Other: confirm any other companies (paper based highest priority)
    • Snagging: get quote / confirm date
    • Flooring: get quotes / confirm laying date

Move out/in:
    • Note meter readings (old & new place)
    • Direct movers

Post move in:
    • Other: update any other dependent information (eg: driving licence which needs proof of address)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Don't forget to sort out bins.

Also if you have stuff that's good but you don't need it anymore, you can list it in the "Free Stuff" section on adverts, people usually pick that stuff up fairly quick if you state you need it gone immediately. I cleared out a lot of things that I didn't need anymore like that.

Otherwise it seems like you're sorted well. Congrats to the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Consider a house alarm early on.

I'm not sure how true this is, but i heard new housing developments are often targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Does anyone have any advice regarding utilities when moving house? We'll have access to all of the same providers in the new house, so I presume the easiest thing to do is to call them up and have the service transferred over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I didn't have services in my own name before but got the MPRN number of the elecricity meter, called and sorted the electricity out (had to deactivate pay meter first). Had electricity straight away then.
    Call the providers for appointments before you move, you most likely will have to wait. Sky was a pain in that regard. Just phone them up and ask exactly how it works, so there won't be a surprise.
    You might have to show proof of ownership - when you close the sale ask your solicitor for a letter saying that you (and your partner) own the house from date X on.
    If you move area, update your car insurance policy. Also keep the first few letters from insurance company and utility providers as proof of address.

Advertisement