Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing car seat abroad

Options
  • 12-09-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

We're heading on holidays and are bringing our 2 yr olds car seat with us as we're renting a car and would rather just have her own than a rental that you don't know anything about it's history (or even when the last time the cover was washed!)

The only query I have is, I presume you check it with your regular baggage, but do you wrap it or put it in a protective bag or anything? Never done it before so don't want to get caught short.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We're heading on holidays and are bringing our 2 yr olds car seat with us as we're renting a car and would rather just have her own than a rental that you don't know anything about it's history (or even when the last time the cover was washed!)

The only query I have is, I presume you check it with your regular baggage, but do you wrap it or put it in a protective bag or anything? Never done it before so don't want to get caught short.

You drop it to oversize baggage. When you check in, they'll give you a tag for it, and then you drop it off. You can get travel bags for them, but there's no real protection in them. You should buy a big roll of bubble wrap and wrap it up very very well too!! You can also put nappies, towels jackets etc around it in the bag, which will give it extra protection, and save space in your suitcase! If you've ever seen baggage handlers loading or unloading bags, you'll know why it's so important to pad it well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

jlm29 wrote: »
    You drop it to oversize baggage. When you check in, they'll give you a tag for it, and then you drop it off. You can get travel bags for them, but there's no real protection in them. You should buy a big roll of bubble wrap and wrap it up very very well too!! You can also put nappies, towels jackets etc around it in the bag, which will give it extra protection, and save space in your suitcase! If you've ever seen baggage handlers loading or unloading bags, you'll know why it's so important to pad it well!

Thanks for that. I do have a bag big enough for it, never thought of filling it up with our own stuff lol!! I'm sure we've bubble wrap too, husband gets lots of deliveries wrapped in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Boderline I bring my seats the whole time abroad. Wrap up really well! One of my seats got damaged :( I bought replacement foam but it's a pain tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Doing the same in a few week's time, bringing a 2 year's olds car seat. And i'be bought 2 of the bubble bum travel booster for my older children. So what's the best recommendation for wrapping the seat? I don't have any particular bag for it or anything, I've managed to get away without need to bring one up to now :confused:

Millem wrote: »
    Boderline I bring my seats the whole time abroad. Wrap up really well! One of my seats got damaged :( I bought replacement foam but it's a pain tbh!

That's why I'm bringing the spare/cheap seat. I much prefer the regular one for installation/straps and general ease of use. The only advantage the other one has is that it's lighter, and belts in so it should fit in most cars.

Apart from the price of hiring a seat, you just wouldn't know what you would get, no matter how reputable the hire company. I learned that by staying in a radisson hotel last year and getting supplied a VERY worn out travel cot that was at least 10 years old , with nothing only the baseboard in it to pass as a mattress! :eek:

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Doing the same in a few week's time, bringing a 2 year's olds car seat. And i'be bought 2 of the bubble bum travel booster for my older children. So what's the best recommendation for wrapping the seat? I don't have any particular bag for it or anything, I've managed to get away without need to bring one up to now :confused:

I have a samsonite bag on wheels that it fits in, it's hard on the wheeled side and fairly well padded on the bag side, so it'll be stuffed with stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

DEFINITELY wrap it in something protective.

They don’t exactly treat luggage gently in a lot of airports and it will be just flung into a luggage container / hold.

The main thing is to ensure that the hard parts are well protected with bubble wrap and tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Windchimes

You should contact the airline you're flying with, as most airlines will allow you take a car seat on board if it meets their criteria. We took our then four year old's seat on board with us a few years ago and she just sat in it. Contacted the airline in advance, gave them the brand and model of the seat, they checked it against their list and then gave us the okay to take it on board. If you decide to do this, I would advise you to print out your email correspondence with the airline if they give you permission to take the seat on board. The last thing you want to happen is to turn up at the boarding gate and have a clueless airline worker tell you that you can't take it on board. Have your confirmation from the airline printed out and at the ready!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You can buy generic car seat bags on amazon cheap enough, if you're worried.They're just big canvassy bags with a zip.They don't offer a lot of protection, but you can fit in the seat, stuff towels etc around, and then carry it easier with the bag strap.
    We got one a few years ago, and managed to fit two seats in it this time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

shesty wrote: »
    You can buy generic car seat bags on amazon cheap enough, if you're worried.They're just big canvassy bags with a zip.They don't offer a lot of protection, but you can fit in the seat, stuff towels etc around, and then carry it easier with the bag strap.
    We got one a few years ago, and managed to fit two seats in it this time :-)

Do you know how long they take to arrive? Our little one is just five weeks old bit she's on the small side and the only thing she can manage in is the car seat for now, we're headed on holidays week after next and had ordered a custom buggy travel bag but just got word that there's a huge backlog and it wont be here in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Last few times we brought our spare. It was oversize counter and they put in a big plastic bag anyway. Aer Lingus.
    But we've had it go without a bag and be fine. But just tape down all straps so does not get caught anywhere or give anyone a handle to fling it with

peteb2 wrote: »
    Last few times we brought our spare. It was oversize counter and they put in a big plastic bag anyway. Aer Lingus.
    But we've had it go without a bag and be fine. But just tape down all straps so does not get caught anywhere or give anyone a handle to fling it with

TBH, I wouldn't say that taping the straps will stop it being flung. I also wouldn't chance not bubble wrapping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Do you know how long they take to arrive? Our little one is just five weeks old bit she's on the small side and the only thing she can manage in is the car seat for now, we're headed on holidays week after next and had ordered a custom buggy travel bag but just got word that there's a huge backlog and it wont be here in time

When we were going on holidays we got a generic brand stroller cover in Mothercare. It was pretty huge and I would think could have fit a car seat so maybe worth ringing if you have a local mothercare. Think it was only 15 eur. Not much padding or protection in it but if you padded the seat inside it should be fine!

I have an adidas sports bag that is massive, and would easily fit a car seat. In fact, it would probably be too big for it, so it's worth measuring your seat, and having a look at the Argos book. You can also use a suitably sized cardboard box, if you can find one

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I would advise wrapping if possible. I was waiting to board a Ryanair flight in Dublin last week and could see a trolley outside with buggys, car seats etc and people were leaving their large carry on cases there to go in the hold. One guy (working at the airport) starts moving bags around to make space, an unwrapped car seat falls off the back of the trolley and falls onto the ground. Then someone else spots what's happened and flings it back into the trolley. It made me rethink bringing my car seat on a plane.

Advertisement