Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boat identity

• 12-09-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I have recently purchased a small 14ft cuddy fishing boat in need of repair. Can anyone help me identify the boat brand / model? there is a metal notice on stern but hard to read.
    It reads "manufactured by Tidal Marine Ltd, chandlers Ford. uk. Cant find any mention of this
    manufacturer anywhere on web with Google. any info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Can you pm me a photo of the boat and I will post it up. Is she made of plastic by any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bluestar18

Hi Fergal B
    Thanks for that, I may not get a picture back to you til Thursday as am in Galway hosp tomorrow. She could well be plastic! be nice wee boat when shes cleaned up a bit!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Anything like this she is only 13.5ft but made by tidal Marine.

_86_zpsxemyxqme.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Tom44

Cuddy to me means a cabin ?

Hi Tom
    You probably right, to me cuddy means a open shelter, a cabin means a door on it!
    I hope to post a few pics up shortly and I appreciate any info on these fibreglass or plastic boats. Can find nothing on the manufacturer TIDAL MARINE LTD in google.
    for the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

bluestar18 wrote: »
    Hi Tom
    You probably right, to me cuddy means a open shelter, a cabin means a door on it!
    I hope to post a few pics up shortly and I appreciate any info on these fibreglass or plastic boats. Can find nothing on the manufacturer TIDAL MARINE LTD in google.
    for the post

I think that Fergal was thinking of the general shape of the boat in the photo, seeing that it was made by Tidal Marine. Tom, I suppose that you're too busy for boating at this time of the year :)
    Jim

Hi Tom
    Didn't fully understand last post. That picture up is from fergal.b
    Mine is slightly larger and has a cuddy/ cabin. I hope to get a few photos up shortly as she sits pre-restoration.
    unfortunately due to severe health problems including the possibility of double leg amputation I haven't had any of my boats on the water for last 5 years. I occasionly go out from killybegs with 2 friends but more for the run out than to fish.
    Have you any info to info on Tidal Marine Ltd? Thanks

Apologies folks, that reply should have been directed to James M rather than Tom. Bear with me I'm new to boards.ie

Hi Tom
    Didn't fully understand last post. That picture up is from fergal.b
    Mine is slightly larger and has a cuddy/ cabin. I hope to get a few photos up shortly as she sits pre-restoration.
    unfortunately due to severe health problems including the possibility of double leg amputation I haven't had any of my boats on the water for last 5 years. I occasionly go out from killybegs with 2 friends but more for the run out than to fish.
    Have you any info to info on Tidal Marine Ltd? Thanks

I am sorry to hear about your health problems.
    I assume that because you had not posted photos, Fergal was trying to see if the boat he found on the net, built by Tidal Marine was anything like yours.
    A company called Tidal Marine Ltd of 16 Hawkshead Street, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 9HF was dissolved on 8th November 2011. It had been run by Robert & Caroline Fotheringham. Small boat building companies often do not last.
    Jim.

Thanks James for that info,if I get some pics to fergal he may be able to post them up and help identity of this boat, pretty sure info got here so far is that she IS a tidal marine boat, be nice to know year and model and any info on the manufacturer. You ae 100% about the small companies, lot of them couldn't cope with fairly mass production and rising costs. Thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks James for that info,if I get some pics to fergal he may be able to post them up and help identity of this boat, pretty sure info got here so far is that she IS a tidal marine boat, be nice to know year and model and any info on the manufacturer. You ae 100% about the small companies, lot of them couldn't cope with fairly mass production and rising costs. Thanks again

Robert Fotheringham
    Age Guide: 46-50
    Southport
    Full Address
    Caroline Fotheringham, Naomi Fotheringham
    2003-09
    The electoral roll 2003-09 says that they were in Southport, but another search says there is someone else at that address now, so I would not bother following it up. That might not even be the right company.
    Take the boat for what it is and enjoy it.
    Jim

Thanks JamesM for the info.
    I'm not a "anorak" regarding boats and engines but I have a few old and unusual engines and I enjoy getting info on them and their makers, these would include JAP Seabees, Tern, Tomos Kovor, Mac and of course various Seagulls. I was really just puzzled that there seems to be no info on these Tidal Marine boats. I think I will just go ahead and start a clean up on this boat and forget about her pedigree! Thanks again

Love old engines and seagulls send me photos of them too :) I have sent you my email.

Some photos of his boat.

DSCF2468_zpsrdb3endh.jpg

DSCF2469_zpspcdezmav.jpg

DSCF2470_zpsd8pjt8oa.jpg

DSCF2471_zpsx73dp9lh.jpg

DSCF2472_zpssdiyfnct.jpg

The boat could be a "sea safe 14"

Gee Fergal youre quick of the mark! I measured her this morning and she is exactly 14ft. Perhaps I can base a bit of research now that I have the name.
    will deffo get those pictures of the older engines to you this week.
    Thanks again

Scratch that I have just been on to a guy in the CMBA. "Classic motorboat association" and he has an old catalog from Tidal Marine and it turns out your boat is a "Tidal Sportsman"

21587372_10154964813158581_1254781460242415905_o_zpsqrv2ha5p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sometimes boards is wonderful for the most obscure stuff ever :D

Hi Fergal
    You sure came up trumps with that picture and mite try and get a copy somewhere of the book. I see it is a CABIN not a CUDDY! according to the article, mind you a 6 footer like me would be bent like a hoop to try a sleep over in it!

Advertisement