Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation into Irish

• 12-09-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Where would I go in Limerick to get a phrase translated into Irish? I didn't go to school in Ireland so I don't have a word of it.
    The phrase is "Family Is A Circle Of Love".

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You could always ask on the Irish language forum here on Boards. ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

I must stress, however, that direct translations of this nature are rarely straight-forward. Idiomatic phrases that sound beautifully poetic in one language can seem quite odd in another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Well, Google Translate made a pretty poor job of it:

21740004_10211639264109420_178964088729404625_n.jpg?oh=7e245b00f06da9a5931d0acb9934f588&oe=5A195220

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Is Ciorcal grá é an Teaghlach ( lit.. The family is a circle of love) OR Is Ciorcal grá é ár gclann ( lit ..Our family is a circle of love)

This is my Conamara Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,547 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Teaghlach is the household, the nuclear family; clann is the wider or extended family; a group of people descended from a common ancestor. You and your cousins are in the same clann but they are not normally part of your teaghlach, nor you of theirs. Your spouse, by contrast, is part your teaghlach but is from a different clann.

You'll need to clarify which sense of "family" you want to invoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Teaghlach and Clann are different - context matters in which is best for translation. Corporate speak can call everybody working for a company a family ( ''Working here as part of the Apple/Intel/ etc family..'')
    Teaghlach is originally linked to hearth or home - the immediate family ( in the older sense) whereas clann is wider - cousins, relations etc are included .
    It depends what the nature of the organization is , really.
    Ciorcal could also be amended , depending on the context also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,547 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

MrLaurel really needs to tell us what he's translating this phrase for. And for whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

Many thanks for all the replies. It certainly isn't an easy task. Its for my sister's nuclear family i.e her self, her husband and young children. She wants to get commission a wall plaque with the inscription on it for her home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

topcat72 wrote: »
    Is Ciorcal grá é an Teaghlach

No need for capitalised C or T - Wir sind nicht Deutsch!

But the translation is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

topcat72 wrote: »
    Is Ciorcal grá é an Teaghlach ( lit.. The family is a circle of love) OR Is Ciorcal grá é ár gclann ( lit ..Our family is a circle of love)

This is my Conamara Irish

Many thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Good luck with the tattoo, OP

• Advertisement
Advertisement