Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation from English

Options
  • 12-09-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Would anyone be able to help me with a translation from English to Irish?
    I didn't go to school in Ireland so I don't have a word of it.
    The phrase is "Family Is A Circle Of Love".

Go raibh maith agat! (thanks to google for that one)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd use the word "fáinne" (meaning a ring) rather than circle.

I also need to ask what exactly you mean by the word family. Is it to symbolise the household, or do you want the message to include extended family and friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MrLaurel

Thanks for coming back to me. It would be immediate household. Mum, Dad & children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

A metaphor in one language rarely translates literally into another.
    I'd suggest something like 'Sé an teaghlach lár-ionad an ghrá'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Another query. I've mislaid my De Bhaldraithe English to Irish. Could somebody consult theirs and please translate to Irish "mulled wine." Thank you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

feargale wrote: »
    Another query. I've mislaid my De Bhaldraithe English to Irish. Could somebody consult theirs and please translate to Irish "mulled wine." Thank you.

Scailtín fíona :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Between teanglann.ie and tearma.ie you need never go hungry again!

Between teanglann.ie and tearma.ie you need never go hungry again!

And etymology?

All I meant was that, given teanglann.ie and an internet connection, you are never without de Bhaldraithe (or Ó Dónaill for that matter).

All I meant was that, given teanglann.ie and an internet connection, you are never without de Bhaldraithe (or Ó Dónaill for that matter).

Thanks. What I meant was to ask what Irish etymology site is available? I know there's at least one but I forget the name/link.

Thanks. What I meant was to ask what Irish etymology site is available? I know there's at least one but I forget the name/link.

I think Dubhthach used to post links from an Old Irish database, so if you don't remember the name yourself you might find it by searching his posts.

I'd also recommend bookmarking Pota Focal for phrases that don't turn up in Teanglann/Téarma. That was where I found "mulled wine". :)

• Advertisement

It is but I'm sure there's another.

I did a little digging and found this: https://archive.org/stream/etymologicaldict00macbuoft/etymologicaldict00macbuoft_djvu.txt

It's not very well formatted though.

It looks like Dineen's dictionary can be downloaded from here: https://celt.ucc.ie//Dinneen1sted.html

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

The format here might be a bit easier.
    http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/index.html
    McBain etymological dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

I'd also recommend bookmarking Pota Focal for phrases that don't turn up in Teanglann/Téarma. That was where I found "mulled wine". :)

Mulled wine is also on focloir.ie. :)

Mulled wine is also on focloir.ie. :)

More mulled wine for everybody. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

More mulled wine for everybody. :D

Tabharfaidh mé amach na gloiní. :p

Advertisement