Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metroid: Samus Returns

Comments

• 9/10 Gamespot

Can't wait!! :D

• Priced @ 44.99 in Smyths...Not bad IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Very good reviews, cant pick it up this month tho, lookin forward to hearing yer reviews :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 is the only mainline game I haven't played, so looking forward to this. Though will probably be next month before I get it, unless I have the chance of getting the Legacy Edition at a decent price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I cannot wait for this.

I really hope they let us sequence break like we could zero mission. That game was just amazing in terms of overall design and mechanics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Len_007

Will this play on the original 3DS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, there's been no indication of any "new" 3ds limit or additional functionality. The new ones will just get faster loading as with any game

Len_007 wrote: »
    Will this play on the original 3DS?

gamexplain said it runs just fine on original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you have bought two copies of the game in error and have to bring the extra one back to the shop, are you looking for Metroid Samus Returns Returns?

That sentence makes no sense. Used in that way "returns" would imply formal legal reports or documents.
    Each time shops use it hurts.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So if Nintendo hired a bounty hunter - the one from the famous game series from the eighties and nineties, not to be confused with any others of the same name - to bring back the receipts relevant to the production of their latest 2D platforming adventure, would that be Metroid Samus Returns Metroid Samus Returns Returns ?

Paging Dr Seuss. We have a code Red Fish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe Samus is submitting her hours Bounty Huntering to the accounts department, you know, claiming mileage, missiles used, indemnity against artifacts blown up and so on....
    Metroid: Samus Returns Returns to Returns and/or Admin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Well I got my dispatch mails from both Nintendo UK (legacy edition and Metroid Amiibo) and Gamestop (Metroid Amiibo).

Was sure there'd be adequate time between the two to cancel either amiibo... So if anyone wants a Metroid Amiibo, I'll have one spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Any idea where I'd be able to get my hands on a Legacy edition of this game? I remember trying to order it from Game online, the site wouldn't let me complete the purchase, and the next day it was sold out. :( I missed it on Amazon.de too. If anyone happens to be able to source a spare one for me I'd be eternally grateful. :)

Star Lord wrote: »
    Well I got my dispatch mails from both Nintendo UK (legacy edition and Metroid Amiibo) and Gamestop (Metroid Amiibo).

Was sure there'd be adequate time between the two to cancel either amiibo... So if anyone wants a Metroid Amiibo, I'll have one spare.

Bagsy!

Edit : sorry, was in between Splat2n rounds. I meant to say please consider my suitability as a candidate to relieve you of your excess purchase at a fair price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Both my limited edition N3DS XL and legacy edition have shipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

If anyone's looking for the two amiibo, I forgot to cancel my Amazon.de order so I'll end up with two sets.

Nintendo Store have dispatched my limited edition to Parcel Motel! I feel like Raffles the Master Thief, even though I've paid double what the game's worth for a bunch of junk I'm going to have to hide in a drawer for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    If anyone's looking for the two amiibo, I forgot to cancel my Amazon.de order so I'll end up with two sets.

PM send, if they're still available!

Banjo wrote: »
    Nintendo Store have dispatched my limited edition to Parcel Motel! I feel like Raffles the Master Thief, even though I've paid double what the game's worth for a bunch of junk I'm going to have to hide in a drawer for ever.

This is essentially my gamesroom in the attic, packed to the gills with gaming goodness that I will rarely play, but it's damn nice to know it's there.
    You know, if at any time I get the notion that I'd like to play Steel Battalion on the Xbox followed by Quarth on the Famicom, followed by Need for Speed on the 3DO, I can... it's just unlikely to be today, or this week for that matter.

• Advertisement

When can we download this from the eshop?

Turtwig wrote: »
    When can we download this from the eshop?

We all have it. But they told us not to tell you.

(I'm guessing from 11pm last night? Well, tonight. Midnight German time. Does summer screw it up and it's midnight?)

• 43.99 in Argos

Too much considering how weak sterling has been recently, been going cheaper than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Is this out of stock everywhere

Regular version is easy to get
    Smyths - out of stock in Jervis, Galway, one of the Cork stores.

Argos
    - bleaker picture 'cause it's a few quid cheaper. Out of stock in the Pale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Argos swords has one right now

This game is quality. Some of the music is really catchy. The free aim is nice I really miss single walled wall jumps (that or I suck) .

How are ye finding the game?

• Advertisement

Context: I'm a huge metroid fan. I've played all the metroid games to death. Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission, the Prime Trilogy. It's also the only game series, I've consistently bought at launch. Actually scratch that, it's probably the only games I've bought at launch.

This game is very Metroid. It's quality, but as I understand it, Metroid can be something of an acquired tasted. In that sense, this game is probably more accessible than previous entries in the series. That isn't to say it's easy: far from it in fact but there are abilities (and a map!) that cut down on the trial and error somewhat. Thankfully these are entirely optional.

Less optional is the paths you can take. In some respects the game can feel a little linear. All Metroid games are in their essence linear. They expertly disguise this by guiding the player through subtle design elements into taking the intended path - Super and Zero Mission deliberately allow the player to break the sequence of these paths for a greater challenge, different experience, being ridiculously overpowered or a faster completion time. Samus Returns' intended pathways feels that little bit more forced and artificial. You are free to complete a segment however you wish but the only way you advance to the next segment is via killing the prerequisite amount of Metroids and the paths to find these in a given area can seem somewhat forced or unnatural at times.

I understand why they held true to the legacy of the original game I just wish they hadn't done it. It's probably the only complaint I have about the game. Breath of the Wild let the player stumble upon enemies that were way more powerful than the player. The original Metroid game let the player do it. When you consider the atmosphere this game can create it's such a bloody shame they didn't leave the player to their own devices to the explore. Instead it's kind of repetitive.
    Kill Metroids
    Alter purple gooey acid.
    Kill Metroids
    Alter purple gooey acid.
    Kill Metroids

Thankfully finding and killing the Metroids is still a lot of fun. The game controls, movement mechanics (ignoring the lack of single wall wall-jumps) , atmosphere, environment, music and soundtrack are all very good. :) Overall though it's the sense of exploration that trumps everything. This game does that sense of exploration and isolation expertly. I just cannot help but wish they'd been even braver and left all areas potentially 'open' to the player.

Mine arrived over the weekend, just looking at it now.

I thought the Collectors edition game box was supposed to have a reversible cover?
    Edit : Wait, that was the US collectors ed, and the reverse side of the title card is the artwork on the Steelbook. Damnit, I left all the goodies up in the car so I can't look at them till lunch.

Edit 2 : Bagged me my first metroid! Have to say, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm not liking the parry mechanic, because I'm crap at it and it's being rammed down my throat every step of the way. Also, it feels like an awful lot of buttons need to be held down at the same time to fight, and my hands are cramping after 30 minutes.

In terms of the extras - The artbook is nice. I've seen it once and will never look at it again. The audio CD box looks cheap in full black and white except for the Nintendo seal. I've just realised how little access to optical media readers I now have. The Giant gameboy cart steelbook is kind of cool and will be going into a desk drawer shortly, possibly never to be seen again. I have no use for the badge, but it's in a nice presentation box and practically bursts out of the cardboard when you open the Legacy Edition, as if the Chozo have Chozo-en you! I am afraid to put it on in case it causes me to be summoned to an alien planet to deal with a threat I don't have the skills or guts to tackle. The keyring is in a blind-bag style bag. It's an odd choice... Can't bring myself to open it. What if there are different versions of the morph ball and by finding out it's the common one in my bag I devalue it? WHAT IF??

Basically, I have made a terrible mistake :D

• Great watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

this looks absolutely stunning in 3d its the only game ive ever played with 3d on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The 3d effect really is amazing, the graphics look kinda dull when it's not turned on. Don't think I've ever had the 3d on for a full game before!

Traded in some 3ds and wii u games to get some loot together for this, to be be given 10 euro for mario kart 8 was a kick in the balls but sher hav the switch version to fall back on anyway. Picked this up looking forward to givin it ago this evening cant wait to see the 3d effect.

• Advertisement

Managed to Morph Ball bomb-jump on my first attempt.
    That can't be right. They've dumbed it down!

Wait, when did "Spider ball" become a thing? Morph-bomb-jumps are obsolete! This is a travesty! If they remove all the skills, how will players ever learn how to pay the bills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Banjo wrote: »
    Managed to Morph Ball bomb-jump on my first attempt.
    That can't be right. They've dumbed it down!

Wait, when did "Spider ball" become a thing? Morph-bomb-jumps are obsolete! This is a travesty! If they remove all the skills, how will players ever learn how to pay the bills?

Not sure if your joking, but all those powers were in the original game boy version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

howlongtobeat (never the most accurate metric, granted) currently has it at around 9 and a half hours to clear it, would that be accurate in everyone's experience? If so I'm kinda heartened to see it ain't as compact as the last couple 2D Metroids.

• pasta-solo wrote: »
    The 3d effect really is amazing, the graphics look kinda dull when it's not turned on. Don't think I've ever had the 3d on for a full game before!

SM 3D World was the best implementation of it IMO
    Played it through till completion with the 3D on

Will do the same here once I get a hold of a copy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The game sold just under 31,000 in Japan. That's kind of disappointing. But then Japan's never really loved the Metroid franchise.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Not sure if your joking, but all those powers were in the original game boy version.

Wait a minute - is there a Spiderball in super metroid? did I miss it and manage to complete the game by endlessly trying to get the timing right on drop a bomb - drop a bomb - first bomb propels you up in time to catch the explosion of the 3rd bomb you dropped etc etc?

does... does that mean I'm ****ing great at Metroid???

• No spiderball in Super Metroid!

****. So I'm just regular-good at Metroid?
    I better ring my Boss and see if he'll accept my apology and take me back.

Edit : 3 days in and I've only bagged 2 Metroids. Either that 9 hours estimate is way off or I'm not even regular good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Got my legacy edition from parcel wizard today

The gameboy steel case is very nice indeed

Pity I won't have time to play the game until xmas!

I got a notification from Address Pal today that my Legacy Edition is ready for collection. Might get to collect it tomorrow.

Oh jeez... I don't know how to tell you this... It's kind of not an original game... It's more of a.. how can I put this delicately? See, on the Gameboy they... Look, it's a port ok? A God damned dlc-locked-behind-amiibo port.

Between the UK and Japan it's supposedly sold less than 50,000 copies. That's awful, beyond awful. It deserves better. Why is the general public so ignorant to this franchise's greatness? America. Let's see how it fares there.

I guess that's pretty much the franchise on the back burner again:(

Your rate for collecting sales was 2%
    See you next decade!

They've already announced prime 4, they can't back out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I haven't seen numbers for rest of the world but 30k in Japan isn't bad at all, where it has always been a low seller anyway. The number also doesn't include digital and Metroid was also out a day less than other games.

America and Europe (less so UK) will be the main judging of it. Hopefully it does good enough for Nintendo to be satisfied with it, a hit in numbers could influence how Prime 4 is developed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement