Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare entitlement after resignation?

Options
  • 12-09-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

I'm going through a breakup with my girlfriend who is moving out of our apartment in Dublin at the end of next month and I can't afford to rent the place on my own. I have come to the decision of leaving my job in Dublin instead of having the headache of looking for new accommodation. I'm happy to leave my job as I've been in it for 5 years straight out of college and I've been let down by the owners on more than one occasion, and I've grown disillusioned and frankly feel burnt out. I will move home with my parents for at least 3 months, in that time I plan on taking a hot desk and furthering my side project that I hope to turn into a business, I've been working on it for months in my spare time. I'm just wondering if I'll be entitled to any form of Social welfare entitlement when I leave?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There's a 9 week wait iirc. There are a few other threads on the same subject. Do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Tell them you were left go if you need immediate payment.

Tell them you quit and you'll have to wait 9 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Might you be over-reacting? That's a lot of changes in one go.
    donfanzu wrote: »
    I've grown disillusioned and frankly feel burnt out.
    Is this to the point of being medically / emotionally unable to work? If a doctor can certify this, you may be entitled to an illness payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donfanzu

No, I'm actually excited to work on my project full time as I believe it can be a viable business. I'm a software engineer so remote work is certainly a question I could ask of my boss, but I no longer want to work for him after broken promises and getting pigeonholed into an area that doesn't serve my own interests. My circumstances have speeded up this processes of starting out on my own but it was always going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Won't you be getting benefit instead of allowance (the one that uses your stamps) for the first 9 months anyway, which doesn't require a wait IIRC? Open to correction on that but worth looking into.

• Advertisement

donfanzu wrote: »
    No, I'm actually excited to work on my project full time as I believe it can be a viable business................

You don't seem to understand what job seekers allowance is. It's not a mechanism to support entrepreneurs work on their start ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Augeo wrote: »
    You don't seem to understand what job seekers allowance is. It's not a mechanism to support entrepreneurs work on their start ups.

Actually the OP did not mention job seekers allowance. He asked if there was any social welfare support for his current plan.
    I'd also be interested in what help there is with setting up your own business (if any?).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

Short term enterprise allowance is there for people who qualify for jobseekers benefit and want to start up a business you have to apply for it first before you start your business but worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it's worth talking to your local social welfare office.
    you maybe able to claim job seekers benefit as you've obviously being paying tax. also there are allowances for people who want to start their own business so might be worth a look.
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You paid your stamps so you can go on the social. But rule of thumb is always say you got sacked when going on the social. Saves the hassle of getting asked why you quit... Explaining why... All to come to the result that you are still eligible as you have paid your stamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tell them you were left go if you need immediate payment.

The social welfare will send a form to the old employer to fill in and they state that you left and not fired. They won't take your word for it. Not a good idea to get caught out in a lie with social welfare imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Sorry but you just made that up. I've done it 3 or 4 times. I left a full time permanent job in June an just told the social welfare that my contract was up! Got it no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sorry but you just made that up. I've done it 3 or 4 times. I left a full time permanent job in June an just told the social welfare that my contract was up! Got it no problem!

They do send out a form to the employer, the thing is, hardly any employers ever fill it out and return it, so they just believe what the person says.
    I asked my old employer why didn't they fill it out and he said it could open up issues for me or the business so why take the risk.

Advertisement