Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque validity

Options
  • 12-09-2017 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi my company received a cheque today for an invoice but it is dated November 2016. 

Long overdue account!

How long is a cheque valid for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

6 months....send it back and ask them to reissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭j14

6 months....send it back and ask them to reissue.
    Is that a hard and fast rule or is it up to each individual bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Classic payment delay tactic. 

The banks just say that they "may" reject a cheque older than 6 months.

So you can lodge it and it may go through.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I wouldn't chance it, if it gets stopped through the clearing you'll be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Cheques don't get checked under a certain threshold, unless there is a vigilant official checking the bundle. Worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Linda by the liffey

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Cheques don't get checked under a certain threshold, unless there is a vigilant official checking the bun
    No way to do  business, honesty is the best policy..phone the company  & get a new cheque issued . 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi j14,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

It would be valid for 6 months from the date on the cheque. 

I would advise if it has passed this timeframe to return it back to the company and get them to reissue another cheque.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks,

Kareana  

Advertisement