Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I insure my parents house?

• 12-09-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭

Can I insure my parents house if it's not in my name? The house is in my mum's name and I live at home but I don't know if living there (and that fact that I'll eventually inherit a share) counts as an insurable interest?! My mum "doesn't do" online quotes/calling round for quotes:rolleyes:...and I don't think I'd pass for a 70 year old on the phone lol!! :o
    My dad in his infinite wisdom cancelled the policy years ago when they cleared the mortgage as it wasn't value for money but it's a constant worry for my Mum and me really as I live there too and pay bills etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can't insure the house in your name. Put your mother's name on the policy, it makes no odds whose money is involved.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

coylemj wrote: »
    You can't insure the house in your name. Put your mother's name on the policy, it makes no odds whose money is involved.

Problem solved.

I tried to get a quote last week and they wouldn't talk to me as it wasn't my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

If you use a broker to insure your house you more than likely never speak to the insurer!
    So you don't necessarily need to speak to an insurer to get insurance.

That being said how you successfully go about getting a quote for your mother to insure her house in her name it is another question but you could use a broker.

When it comes to paying the bill I doubt if any insurer or broker gives a monkeys who pays as long as it is paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can't you get online quotes?

coylemj wrote: »
    Can't you get online quotes?

We live in a opw flood protection zone (we've never been flooded) and most have assumptions that you're not within x meters of a river or the area has never flooded etc etc and state that we need to call them etc etc One helpful guy told me I'd have to measure the road and give the exact measurement in meters - didn't even ask for the address just read a script that it was a material fact and my policy could be cancelled if I my measurement was wrong!
    My mam is happy to pay it just getting the quote!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Easier said that done - she's very stubborn but I'll work on her!!

That's terrible to hear about your parents house :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

I used to handle all that stuff for my mother also, all insurance companies I've dealt with will send the policy doc and forms by post to your mother if you request a quote on her behalf. get her to sign it and return them. there is no way you can insure it in your own name however without having an insurable interest in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

My wife has had a similar problem with her mother (won't speak to insurance companies on the phone) so my wife just says to the insurer "my mother has anxiety issues speaking to strangers on the phone, so I will speak to you but she will be present in the room at all times" It has always worked for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If she won't even bother to make a phone call, it can hardly be a constant worry for her now can it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

If she won't even bother to make a phone call, it can hardly be a constant worry for her now can it!

Some elderly people have issues speaking to people on the phone about financial issues etc. It can cause them a huge amount of stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

tk123 wrote: »
    Easier said that done - she's very stubborn but I'll work on her!!

That's terrible to hear about your parents house :(

Call a broker, they'll add EUR100 as a fee.

Marcusm wrote: »

Actually it's all sorted! approx €300 with AXA through Chill.ie ;) I got the quote then the spoke to her to confirm I had permission to get it etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Marcusm wrote: »

I never heard of a broker charging a €100 on a house policy. Around €30 would be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Just get a letter of authority from her-get her to sign a letter that gives you permission to speak on her behalf-I don't remember the last time my parents dealt with their own insurance I do it all for them and that works!! Scan it and email it on to the different companies

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shinfler

tk123 wrote: »
    I tried to get a quote last week and they wouldn't talk to me as it wasn't my house.

Get your mother on the phone while you speak to them or email them from her email address and get her to state that she gives permission for you to talk to them on her behalf.
    I did this and it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Glad to hear you got it sorted. If this kind of thing is an ongoing problem with your Mum, then maybe have a talk with her about granting you power of attorney. This will allow you to deal with her affairs autonomously.

A solicitor can sort it out, it's straightforward.

They spoke to my mum to confirm she was ok with me getting the quote and all sorted. **Sob** next job is my car insurance! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement