Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Final: Dublin v Mayo. Sunday 17th @ 3:30pm **(MOD NOTE POST#2 #395)**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

gramar wrote: »
    I thought the referee was poor although keeping order between those two teams is an impossible job for any referee.
    The difference was Dublin keeping their heads and picking off points when there was a goal opportunity. That pragmatism
    saw them get over the line. I thought Mayo were marginally the better team but Dublin were just slightly more streetwise
    in the last 10 minutes. For the neutral though they are spectacular battles.

It's the rivalry of this decade for sure, even though Dublin have won 4 of the 7 games to Mayo's 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I am sure it has already been raised but any Mayo (or others) fan who complains about Dublin being unsporting and cynical at the end should not even be entertained considering what Lee Keegan did to Rock at the end, no defending that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Cluxton ha :)

Dubs%20Collage.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

kilns wrote: »
    I am sure it has already been raised but any Mayo (or others) fan who complains about Dublin being unsporting and cynical at the end should not even be entertained considering what Lee Keegan did to Rock at the end, no defending that
    What did he do to Rock? Missed that.

Dublin of course totally within their rights to hold on to possession the way they did at the end.

dixiefly wrote: »
    What did he do to Rock? Missed that.

Dublin of course totally within their rights to hold on to possession the way they did at the end.
    He threw his gps unit into his path on the run up to the final free

428170.jpg

• Advertisement

428172.jpg

You mean eye gouging like this, i think i'd rather the little black thing thrown at my foot :rolleyes:
    428167.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Haven't seen any of their fans come out with conspiracy theories.

Facebook is awash with it. It's an embarrassment to the county.

Fan and the media like to portray Mayo as this innocent team that just cant catch a break, Keegan proved otherwise .  So dont throw stones in glasshouses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You mean eye gouging like this
    428167.jpg

It feels you dont know what eye gouging is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Facebook is an emarassment to humanity.

The amount of whinging from both sets of supporters (particulalry the Dublin ones as they won the game so have nothing to complain about) is embrassing and probably a sign of fella's who only go to one game a year or watch on TV than more genuine fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Facebook? lol

Facebook is an embarrassment full stop.

Facebook is an emarassment to humanity.

The amount of whinging from both sets of supporters (particulalry the Dublin ones as they won the game so have nothing to complain about) is embrassing and probably a sign of fella's who only go to one game a year or watch on TV than more genuine fans.
    Here we go, the usual they were late to the game too because there was a premiership game on etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Here we go, the usual they were late to the game too because there was a premiership game on etc etc

You need to read things more carefully.

My reference to bandwago fans complaining applied to both county's supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

lawred2 wrote: »
    Facebook? lol

Facebook is an embarrassment full stop.

+1

Im from Cork and I saw some Cork "banter" page having dig at Waterford few weeks ago. Some of comments would make you cringe.

Those facebook pages dont represent any set of fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Neutral here.

Mayo the better team but Dublin have more know how- also Mayo raraly win tight games against big teams as they either draw/lose or blow a team away.
    Vaughan was a 100% red card and to be honest he should get an extended ban for utter stupidity- I'm surprised this is even up for debate- he was so late that the free was nearly taken by the time he got there.
    Both teams were cynical, as are all the teams- I do however think that Mayo are prob the most cynical team in football at the moment but thats open for debate.
    Ref was fine- cant see any issue with his performance and would be surprised if anyone raised his performance as a topic for discussion.

Mayo lost it in the first half- they were 4/5 points better than Dublin in the first half but that wasnt reflected on the scoreboard.

As an aside- Brogan is probably done at the very top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Amprodude wrote: »
    What the hell is caffery doing in the background of the winners hotel while Gavin and Cluxton are being interviewed? What a gob $hite.

Mayo fans outraged at Dublin player having the cheek to celebrate the three-in-a-row. I've seen it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Neutral here.

Mayo the better team but Dublin have more know how- also Mayo raraly win tight games against big teams as they either draw/lose or blow a team away.
    Vaughan was a 100% red card and to be honest he should get an extended ban for utter stupidity- I'm surprised this is even up for debate- he was so late that the free was nearly taken by the time he got there.
    Both teams were cynical, as are all the teams- I do however think that Mayo are prob the most cynical team in football at the moment but thats open for debate.
    Ref was fine- cant see any issue with his performance and would be surprised if anyone raised his performance as a topic for discussion.

Mayo lost it in the first half- they were 4/5 points better than Dublin in the first half but that wasnt reflected on the scoreboard.

I agree about Brogan, good time to leave now with his 3 in a row in the bag. In fairness to him, he won a couple of very hard balls and handled them well but they weren't really noticed. His blocked shot was more noticeable,

blanch152 wrote: »
    Mayo fans outraged at Dublin player having the cheek to celebrate the three-in-a-row. I've seen it all now.

He's not a Mayo supporter :rolleyes:, dont see any Mayo supporters complaining about it . Today is not the day to be getting your cheap digs in blanch. Go celebrate your win.

I agree about Brogan, good time to leave now with his 3 in a row in the bag. In fairness to him, he won a couple of very hard balls and handled them well but they weren't really noticed. His blocked shot was more noticeable,

Hoping he takes McMenamon and Cluxton with him.

• Advertisement

He has the turning arch of a small truck- it was extremely obvious what he was going to do- so much so that they were more standing blocks than diving blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Hoping he takes McMenamon and Cluxton with him.

Can't see why cluxton would leave now. Or mcmenaman who still seems to be as quick as ever

You said it yourself. Clinical cynicism at the critical time was the difference.

No, I said if you wanted to call it something, you can call it calculated clinical cynicism.
    It wasn't panic, if you want to call it something, you can call it calculated clinical cynicism.

I call it playing Mayo at their own game.

Another difference between the teams was the way Dublin just got on with the game. Start of the second half, a blatant black card trip by AOS and Dublin just got up, took the quick free and got a point from play. If that had happened Mayo COC would have run 40 yards to tell the ref to produce a card. At times it seems that the Mayo players are as obsessed with referees as their fans are.

Can't see why cluxton would leave now. Or mcmenaman who still seems to be as quick as ever

Probably not, but hoping.

Oh yeah thats another thing- why the hell is anyone giving out about McCaffrey.
    Lad wins All Ireland and is happy about it shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Brogan was the difference, won a free and held the ball up on two occasions, his contribution though small was worth 2 points. Good to see Dublin enjoying themselves as they are automatons on the pitch as is Gavin.
    O Gara gouged and added nothing to Dublin , always a filthy player with little moral compass.
    Vaughan cost Mayo the All Ireland.

Neutral here.

I couldn't get over Vaughan really.. You could understand the red mist if he arrived just as the offence happened but he arrived so late that the rational side of his brain had more than enough time to step in and intervene.

I had enough time to say to myself that "Small is getting a second yellow for that - big turning point for Mayo this....... oh ffs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

lawred2 wrote: »
    I couldn't get over Vaughan really.. You could understand the red mist if he arrived just as the offence happened but he arrived so late that the rational side of his brain had more than enough time to step in and intervene.

As I watched the incident and all I could think to say was 'retard'.

buck65 wrote: »
    Brogan was the difference, won a free and held the ball up on two occasions, his contribution though small was worth 2 points. Good to see Dublin enjoying themselves as they are automatons on the pitch as is Gavin.
    O Gara gouged and added nothing to Dublin , always a filthy player with little moral compass.
    Of course they were never going to win it.

Two years in a row - O Connor missed a free from more or less the same part of the field.

Unlucky sure - but not a chance Dean Rock would have missed both.

Small margins. But it's usually winners that set the margins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mayo lost it in the first half

Mayo lost it in a lost of places, giving yet another goal headstart, a player getting stupidly sent of, missing easy enough chances, missing a very good goal chance.

But those incidents can happen in any game, on reflection I think that where they lost it was in the last 5 minutes, and the reason was that they simply didn't have the legs to get over the line.

You could see it in the movement of a lot of the players, they had given everything and a lot of them had hit the wall, they could no longer get around the field or use the ball no matter how much the heart might have wanted it. And its no surprise, they are an older team than Dublin and have a lot of miles on the clock. There is no doubt they can match Dublin man for man but come the very end the legs just weren't there for a "surge".

Its a pity, they always say to sports people that they need to "leave it all out there" and I believe thats that Mayo did, its just a shame that they couldn't squeeze another few minutes out of their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

buck65 wrote: »
    Of course they were never going to win it.

Of all the players to pick on the Dublin team, Bernard Brogan was certainly not the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

elefant wrote: »
    Of all the players to pick on the Dublin team, Bernard Brogan was certainly not the difference.

Connolly and mc memanamin changed the game for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

He was referring to both counties amd he's right, a lot of people in Mayo will have been talking ****e about the final but in the spring will care more abput the premiership than the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Agreed. Mayo got thrown some luck in the first half;

- O'Gara was a mess, a proper weak link even if he hadn't been on track for a red card before Gavin took him off.
    - McCaffrey's freak injury really disrupted Dublin's flow and Flynn seemed very rattled through the whole first half
    - Likewise Andrews, Fenton and Rock seemed to have difficulty getting into gear, making simple mistakes all over the place.

The time for Mayo to seal the deal was in the first half. When Dublin came out with Connolly and McManamon in place, they were altogether far more solid and confident. If Mayo had been 3 point up at half time, they could have held out for the win.
    He's no longer the "3 or 4 points" impact sub that he used to be, but he still makes a big difference dragging defenders all over the box. A lot of the gaps that were opened up in the Mayo defence were because Brogan was diverting the defenders' attention.

But I would say yeah, he might have another year on the Dublin bench before calling it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

seamus wrote: »
    He's no longer the "3 or 4 points" impact sub that he used to be, but he still makes a big difference dragging defenders all over the box. A lot of the gaps that were opened up in the Mayo defence were because Brogan was diverting the defenders' attention.

But I would say yeah, he might have another year on the Dublin bench before calling it a day.

If he was on any other county squad he would be going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Excellent game of football, felt that the Dubs got the rub of the green....few handy frees in the first half. I thought Mayo should have had 2 pens in the second half (no replay of one where I thought Moran got a shove in the back)....he was brilliant though, should be a shoe in for POTY

Re Vaughan.....what a stupid rush of blood to get sent off, and ultimately costly

For me AOS should have been taken off....every time he got the ball he slowed the game down too much.

Barrett was excellent for Mayo and my MOTM until the foul that gave Rock the free to win it.

If Mayo are to win an All Ireland, they need to keep Andy Moran wrapped in cotton wool....if he retires or gets injured Mayo wont get within 5 or 6 points of Dublin next year

If he was on any other county squad he would be going nowhere.

Id take him for Cavan, without a shadow of a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

You mean eye gouging like this, i think i'd rather the little black thing thrown at my foot :rolleyes:
    428167.jpg

Look, I'm no O'Gara fan but let's take it easy before we go throwing out some pretty serious allegations. They were rowing and EOG put a hand in his face (which he shouldn't do) when on the floor, but gouging? You'd want to make a better case for that than a still photo that looks like it was shot with a potato.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Look, I'm no O'Gara fan but let's take it easy before we go throwing out some pretty serious allegations. They were rowing and EOG put a hand in his face (which he shouldn't do) when on the floor, but gouging? You'd want to make a better case for that than a still photo that looks like it was shot with a potato.

RTE showed a replay of it during the match, it was very obviously not a gouge. He had his hands on his mouth, nowhere near his eyes.

listermint wrote: »
    It feels you dont know what eye gouging is...

Whatever it is, it should have been a straight red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

awec wrote: »
    RTE showed a replay of it during the match, it was very obviously not a gouge. He had his hands on his mouth, nowhere near his eyes.

Was it anything like what Thomas O' Se got retrospectively punished for v Cork back in 2010 ?

He was doing some emergency dental work on the Cork guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Haileunlikely

Just one question
    Why is the assistant coach Sherlock allowed to run on field of play during match to tell Cluxton what to do with the kick outs?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Just one question
    Why is the assistant coach Sherlock allowed to run on field of play during match to tell Cluxton what to do with the kick outs?

I know.. it's madness.. shouldn't be allowed. Dan Shanahan for the Waterford hurlers is another culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever it is, it should have been a straight red

It should and so should the Close line to the neck at the start of the game from the Mayo forward. Missed who did it but it was stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just one question

Did he not speak to him from behind his goal? I would've thought he went around the perimeter of the pitch to get there. Could be wrong though. I've always thought through the years that there's always these chaps running on willy nilly though. Never really got that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Just one question

Because he can relay tactical changes any player. Tony McEntee was doing the same for Mayo too

flanzer wrote: »
    Because he can relay tactical changes any player. Tony McEntee was doing the same for Mayo too

But only Mayo are allowed do that.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was it anything like what Thomas O' Se got retrospectively punished for v Cork back in 2010 ?

He was doing some emergency dental work on the Cork guy.

Basically pushed his hand onto his mouth, wasn't a punch or a gouge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I asked last night and didnt get an answer

Where was this penalty shout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, I said if you wanted to call it something, you can call it calculated clinical cynicism.

I call it playing Mayo at their own game.

Another difference between the teams was the way Dublin just got on with the game. Start of the second half, a blatant black card trip by AOS and Dublin just got up, took the quick free and got a point from play. If that had happened Mayo COC would have run 40 yards to tell the ref to produce a card. At times it seems that the Mayo players are as obsessed with referees as their fans are.

We are agreed. Dublin were better at the clinical cynicism at the critical time.
    Couldn't win playing football so engaged in stopping the opposition at 'any" cost.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement