Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting Martial Arts

Options
  • 12-09-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey everyone,

I'm just doing some research and I was wondering who here has quit Martial Arts? And what caused them to quit?

I'm hoping to set up a club in a few years and I think its important to know where things can go wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

I did. The snideyness and snobbery from senior black belts towards each other was pathetic. Grown men moaning and looking at how much red tape they had on their belts. Sucking up to each other in public, tearing into each other behind their backs. Promoting themselves so as to remain above anyone else despite their obvious lack of ability. I'm still appalled by it.

The awful thing was every single club and instructor did it.

Jacked it in and started to play football and rugby again. Pure sport and competition.

Don't miss the meeeershal arts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MF23

I'm sorry to hear that. What age did you quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Somebody else

Strange question for someone not even thinking of starting a club for a few years.
    Best research you could do is keep training for a few years and see why your clubmates/you quit.
    Everyone has their own reasons.

That's what I'm planning on. But sometimes people quit and you never know why. I was hoping with Boards where people can be anonymous, I would get more valuable feedback

Quit at 31. Trained for 8 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Somebody else

Best of luck with it.
    I just meant that anyone who stays around for a few years after getting a black belt usually get to see a lot more of the politics that go on in every club.

That's true, but you also become blind to problems. Best to be as objective as you can

Damn, that sucks. What martial arts did you practice?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I quit around the age of 16 through injury. Broken shoulder and did damage to my right knee. I was in Karate, Ninjitsu and Tae Kwon Do at the time. Had a few false starts getting back into it, but now at 32, I'm into Kickboxing quiet intensively. I too noticed the politics in Karate as a brown belt on the cusp of becoming a black belt.

Kenpo. Poisonous. Apart from the friends I made I view the whole thing as a joke. Makes me quite angry when I dwell on it...so I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Sorry you had such a negative experience George. Anyone who's been around long enough knows that there are some dysfunctional people training. They are in all walks of life, but martial arts can attract people with personality issues.

It's sad, because it can be such a life affirming and positive thing to do, and yet it can attract people who are unsuited to being in positions of influence. I've been training a relatively long time and make a point of only associating with positive people. Life's too short to spend it around people who make you feel lesser. Spend it around people who support each other and build each other up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Matt KSW

People quit for a variety of reasons, so lose interest, some think the grass is greener somewhere else, some move away, some lack the funds to continue, some stop coming due to injury, or the summer break and never get motivated to come again, and some just get to busy. at the end of the day if you are running a school, you can't get to caught up in it. people come people go, attrition rate in martial arts is about 60% if you're hitting in or around that you are doing well. treat your students right, keep progressing them, keep them interested but also don't forget to keep marketing for new students. try for 1 out 2 in and you'll be ok.
    the hardest part about running your own school is learning to market it correctly, for you style, the type of students you want to teach and the way you want to teach it.
    Good luck
    and don't give up, even in the hardest times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Matt KSW wrote: »
    People quit for a variety of reasons, so lose interest, some think the grass is greener somewhere else, some move away, some lack the funds to continue, some stop coming due to injury, or the summer break and never get motivated to come again, and some just get to busy. at the end of the day if you are running a school, you can't get to caught up in it. people come people go, attrition rate in martial arts is about 60% if you're hitting in or around that you are doing well. treat your students right, keep progressing them, keep them interested but also don't forget to keep marketing for new students. try for 1 out 2 in and you'll be ok.
    the hardest part about running your own school is learning to market it correctly, for you style, the type of students you want to teach and the way you want to teach it.
    Good luck
    and don't give up, even in the hardest times.

This is pretty accurate in my experience, esp the marketing.

When the recession hit our club (Portmarnock Judo Club) suffered terribly with dwindling numbers ~ some left for greener pastures in Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc, some had families and finances were tight.

The club was struggling for numbers and new members, then I got facebook page up and running and 'hey presto' the numbers shot back up.

I'd say more than 60% drop out in the first three years, but I've no research on that (I train in Judo and BJJ).. No one remembers the drop outs so its hard to be accurate with my figures.

Best of luck with the new club if you get it off the ground, what style are you going to coach?.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

MF23 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to set up a club in a few years and I think its important to know where things can go wrong

What's wrong with quitting?

People quit for a variety of reasons, mostly because life gets in the way. I stopped karate in the 1980s after 5 years training because of my life & job, then 15 years later I restarted and now after another 16 years training I'm involved in running a few clubs. People in the MA come and go, and I see nothing wrong with that.

A lot people quit within 6 months. By that I mean about 30% of people who start training will stop before they have completed 6 months. That's a good thing; if something isn't bringing you pleasure then quit and do something that does. Another 30% quit after their 2nd or 3rd year (in the green - purple belt range). Of those, most adults quit because of life circumstances and most kids quit because they realise that it's not going to be easy to get a black belt. Also alcohol. In any activity, kids start to quit around 14-16 years because their peer group are going to pubs (or parties) to drink and so they opt to go along with that also. There's another 15% who quit as soon as they get a black belt (usually by year 4-5) because that was their goal. Of all the people who quit I find demographic that to be the most depressing. Karate really only gets interesting after you get your black belt.

Our club of 70 members in Fairview is one-third kids (7-12), one-third teens, and one-third older members (22-60). We also have a 50:50 male:female split, which is great. We work hard to keep the club running with a high level of participation. The most important thing is to be honest with members, and (for kids) their parents, and dampen expectations of turning anyone into the next Jackie Chan. Beyond that, it's the members' choice as to how long they train for. Enjoy the ride, and don't begrudge the passengers who get on and off the train.

It will be Judo but not for years. I need to get my research done first, if I do something I need to be pretty ready first. But I already have coaching experience, but I still need to complete my Level 2 as well

Advertisement