Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise advice

Options
  • 12-09-2017 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I'm renting in a period building split into flats, the tenant above me likes to chant/pray/sing loudly into the early hours of the morning. She has been approached already and the landlord has been made aware but she goes so far as to completely deny the noise altogether, as in I'm imagining it!

I can't afford to rent anywhere else and I'm at the end of my tether, does anybody have any advice in terms of soundproofing or eviction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Not trying to be smart but earplugs for the early hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'm renting in a period building split into flats, the tenant above me likes to chant/pray/sing loudly into the early hours of the morning. She has been approached already and the landlord has been made aware but she goes so far as to completely deny the noise altogether, as in I'm imagining it!

I can't afford to rent anywhere else and I'm at the end of my tether, does anybody have any advice in terms of soundproofing or eviction?

If she's up till the early hours I'm guessing she probably likes to sleep in. Dose of ones own medicine should work a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Seanachai wrote: »

Landlord could be correct .. how do you know your not imagining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

White noise app on your phone or tablet, play it all night and sleep like a baby.
    Brown noise is actually the best for sleeping if you do use it

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

If she is singing loudly, make a record of the time and volume. You can download an app. Present a list of disturbances to the landlord.

Also, if other neighbours complain it will be obvious she is causing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't retaliate it will go against you in the end. Ear plugs as suggested. Keep a log and make a recording. Talk to the LL if nothing is done tell the LL you will open 3rd party complaint with the RTB. Give the LL plenty of time to deal with it but set a firm dead line once you have your evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Don't retaliate it will go against you in the end. Ear plugs as suggested. Keep a log and make a recording. Talk to the LL if nothing is done tell the LL you will open 3rd party complaint with the RTB. Give the LL plenty of time to deal with it but set a firm dead line once you have your evidence.

This isn't the first time this has happened and the landlord had a word with her before, it actually made her come banging on my windows and door and she was p**sed off that she'd been reported. I'm thinking she must have some kind of mental illness to be able to sustain singing and talking for that length of time. It was so bad last night that the tenant across the hall got up and was standing at the bottom of the stairs listening to it, she chats with him from time to time.

I'm like a zombie after three days of sleep deprivation at this stage, I'm getting anxiety in bed thinking about when it's going to start up again. I think the technical solution is looking like the most viable option, I have a feeling she might be committed yet the way things are going.

Landlord could be correct .. how do you know your not imagining it?

How do I know I'm not imagining it? Well firstly I'm not insane as I don't have auditory hallucinations thankfully, secondly people who have stayed over have commented on it, as in 'who the f**k keeps talking and singing in the middle of the night?'. It was the tenant that told me I was imagining the sound, not the landlord.

qrx wrote: »
    If she's up till the early hours I'm guessing she probably likes to sleep in. Dose of ones own medicine should work a treat.

Unfortunately not, she's up moving furniture at 7 - 7.30 most mornings, I haven't slept in in my flat in years. She must be either ill or on stimulants to be able to operate with such little sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Bose QC 35 headphones for the day. But, you can't sleep with them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you don't like noise the only real option is to move to a detached unit. It'll just eat you alive if you let it get to you. In a multi dwelling unit noise is to be expected

Advertisement