Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miscarriage Clinic

Options
  • 12-09-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi boardies,

Yesterday I suffered my 3rd miscarriage.

I have now been referred to the miscarriage clinic where they will do blood work, karyotyping etc.

If anyone else has been through this I would love to know what usually happens at the first appointment?

We have one daughter and we are so lucky to have her. After yesterday I fear I will not be lucky enough to carry another successful pregnancy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

So sorry to hear this Isolt. My heart goes out to you.

I have not been to the clinic myself, but I hope you find some solutions. I have a friend who attended, and they were able to figure out the issue.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm sorry for your losses.

I got karotyping/ bloods etc done a few years back. They basically schedule a bunch of tests - nearly all blood tests as far as I can remember to check for the most common causes.

I also got tissue testing done on my last mc. However that also was inconclusive for us as it only identified that the tissue was female and no genetic issues found. They couldn't say whether the tissue was foetal or maternal so we were none the wiser really.

If you don't already have one, I'll suggest a journal /diary. Write in as much of your historical stuff as you can remember to date. Put in the detail of your previous mc's, your cycle information, any tests you've had done previously, any issues from the birth etc. Then, start a new page per appointment and write down questions you want to ask at the appointment at the top, and use it to jot down notes during the consult.

They'll breeze through phrases like "oh well, your supercallyfragalistick levels were 3 so within range" so I found mine invaluable - too look up said test later that evening, to see what the range was, and to understand what was ruled out. And to explain it to the OH.

I think I had a few appointments, maybe 3 or 4.

Advertisement