Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

BDJW wrote: »
    I got my Watch Series 3 yesterday. I haven't had much time to play with it, or even set it up fully yet. Initial impressions are good. The one downside I've found so far is that notifications can only be sent to either the phone or the watch and not both at the same time. I can see the logic behind it, but don't particularly agree with it!

What notifications are talking about?

My notifications are replicated across the phone and watch.

Go to the watch app on phone and notifications settings, you can toggle on and off what notifications you want to come on to the watch (mirror). Make sure mirror iphone alerts apps are toggled on (mirror iphone). You can also select which apps you want to get notifications for on the watch

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    What notifications are talking about?

My notifications are replicated across the phone and watch.

Go to the watch app on phone and notifications settings, you can toggle on and off what notifications you want to come on to the watch (mirror). Make sure mirror iphone alerts apps are toggled on (mirror iphone). You can also select which apps you want to get notifications for on the watch

Hope this helps

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my last post. The notifications are replicated on both the phone and watch. But when I get a notification, my watch lights up/vibrates/plays a sound, whereas my phone doesn't. If I click the home/lock button and light up the phone screen, the notification will be there, but it doesn't alert me when it comes through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeah that's by design, however the watch/phone are somewhat smart about it. If you're actively on your phone or your last interaction with your watch/phone was with your phone, your phone will light up. I think it defaults back to the watch after a set period though (don't know how long but I'm going to guess 5 minutes).

It'd be a battery hog for it to have it constantly light up both. And being honest having certain things only tap the wrist and other non-important stuff go to the phone is one of the best features of the watch/phone combo and I couldn't do without it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Random question - anyone else notice a significant battery increase since the last update (4.3). I have a Series 1 (second version). I'm probably getting almost 3 days of use, where are before it was a little over 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Can anyone recommend a good (& cheap) Apple Watch strap supplier. I saw that Aliexpress have a big range and a friend sent me a link to secretsales.com who were doing deals last week.
    Anyone found a good option?

• Advertisement

Can anybody recommend any reasonably priced brown leather straps? I will be using the strap that comes with the watch for day to day wear, but for the more dressy occasion I would like a leather strap. I have had a look on Amazon, but there is a lot to chose from. And like most things on Amazon, there is always good reviews as well as bad reviews!

Now that I have my Apple Watch, I’m on the lookout for the above and back looking for suggestions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Random question - anyone else notice a significant battery increase since the last update (4.3). I have a Series 1 (second version). I'm probably getting almost 3 days of use, where are before it was a little over 2.

I've also got a series 1 and I find that in normal use the battery lasts longer since the update but when I do an activity (run, cycle, walk etc) it seems to go down faster than before :confused:

While I'm here, is there any sign of an irish company being able to support the cellular watch? I think it's nearly time for me to upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Donie75 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good (& cheap) Apple Watch strap supplier. I saw that Aliexpress have a big range and a friend sent me a link to secretsales.com who were doing deals last week.
    Anyone found a good option?

I've bought three different cheap ones from aliexpress and I'm happy with them all. Zero issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I've bought three different cheap ones from aliexpress and I'm happy with them all. Zero issues

Any links to those particular ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

tony1980 wrote: »
    Any links to those particular ones?

They were all over three months ago so no idea. I honestly just sorted by price/shipping and went for anything I liked that was inexpensive!

Edit: One was the milenaise style, one is a leather band, a silicone dual tone blue/pink and another a woven one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can anyone recommend a good sleep tracking app for the watch.

Plenty around. I use Pillow as I think the app and watch app are the best around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I use AutoSleep. Quite good.

Use Autosleep myself and find it good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

So, been nearly a year, and we still don't have any hope of getting a cellular Apple Watch in Ireland.

Are we ever going to get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

eeloe wrote: »
    So, been nearly a year, and we still don't have any hope of getting a cellular Apple Watch in Ireland.

AFAIK and from reading online - no network in Ireland currently supports the technology for the watch including VOLTE. Maybe Vodafone might have it -

Currently the Apple watch cellular is only available on ONE network in the UK EE. No other network has it - and it's not based on a commercial agreement that they have exclusivity either.

To add: Only Germany France and UK have the capability across Europe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Vodafone will have the capability here first.

Personally, and I’m a heavy Apple user, I can’t see it being a popular thing. The watch won’t replace the phone so having an extra cost certainly isn’t going to incentivise people.

I leave my phone at home when I go running with my Apple Watch 3. It tracks my run and I have a playlist on my Apple Watch so I can listen to music (on my AirPods). Beyond exercising I can’t see it being a thing, and even at that it’s far from being essential.

Anybody have an issue with their crown sticking? If I don't use it for a few minutes, it seems to stick, but once I move it at all and it becomes unstuck, it works fine again

Anybody have an issue with their crown sticking? If I don't use it for a few minutes, it seems to stick, but once I move it at all and it becomes unstuck, it works fine again

Yes, has been happening me a lot actually. It works fine then again. I haven’t had a chance to look online to see if this is fairly common.

faceman wrote: »
    Vodafone will have the capability here first.

I leave my phone at home when I go running with my Apple Watch 3. It tracks my run and I have a playlist on my Apple Watch so I can listen to music (on my AirPods). Beyond exercising I can’t see it being a thing, and even at that it’s far from being essential.

This is exactly what I do. A brilliant combination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Have my watch a month now and really enjoy it, I also run but ditched my Garmin as I have a lot less to carry with my watch and wireless headphones. How do people find running with ear pods worth it and do they fall out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Darren 83 wrote: »
    How do people find running with ear pods worth it and do they fall out?

I'm guessing you mean AirPods instead of EarPods ?

The answer is it depends on your ears. They'll stay in better than EarPods because you don't have a cable pulling them.

However, for me they get loose so I have a roll of surgical tape and use a square of it on each side to hold them in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean AirPods instead of EarPods ?

The answer is it depends on your ears. They'll stay in better than EarPods because you don't have a cable pulling them.

However, for me they get loose so I have a roll of surgical tape and use a square of it on each side to hold them in place.

I used my AirPods in the Gym while lifting and never have they budged .. the EarPods used to fall out even when walking but that was down to the cable pulling them out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Have my watch a month now and really enjoy it, I also run but ditched my Garmin as I have a lot less to carry with my watch and wireless headphones. How do people find running with ear pods worth it and do they fall out?

As the previous poster mentioned it depends on the ears but it should be fine for most people. I use them for running. The right one fits perfect. The left one *feels* loose but it has never fallen out. Once you start using them you’ll never go back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

run it under a tap, it's probably some gunk stuck in between the crown and the casing that's making it stick.

faceman wrote: »

What i really want is spotify on the watch, and the ability to take a call, without having to have my phone!

Currently using the AirPods and controls on the watch to control volume and selecting tracks, but i'd much rather leave the phone out in the car, or even at home if i could.

I use them all the time running now and I love them. The EarPods never stayed in for me but the AirPods are fine. The right one for me is a bit looser but hasn’t fallen out yet. I wore them for The Rotterdam Marsthon recently and used surgical tape in case the sweat caused issues. Best purchase I have made in a long time!

Anyone having battery issues since upgrading to 4.3.1?

Battery dying a lot quicker than normal, used to get 2.5 days out of a charge, now barely getting the full day, from 7am to 11:30pm and i get a 10% warning around 10pm.

Series 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone having battery issues since upgrading to 4.3.1?

Battery dying a lot quicker than normal, used to get 2.5 days out of a charge, now barely getting the full day, from 7am to 11:30pm and i get a 10% warning around 10pm.

Series 2.
    Identical problem here. I setup as new, restored and back to normal after upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, just want to check something.
    I’m in the US for a few days.

If it’s cheaper, will any version of the watch be ok over here?

Obviously we don’t have cellular support so I will not buy that version.

Thanks.

Advertisement