Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Watch

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

FFS. What’s the hold up, don’t they realise this a further opportunity to gouge.

The hold up is that right now there is almost no market for them, since the cellular watch was never sold here.

I'd say Creamy Goodness is right, Apple will announce that the cellular model is coming to some more countries when they announce the next watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

somewhat off topic question .... has anyone stopped wearing their apple watch and gone back to a normal watch.

I've had an apple watch since the first series and currently have the series 5. a week ago I forgot to charge the watch and as I was leaving the house I just picked up one of my normal watches.

I haven't used the apple watch since. It has been a really nice break from not being connected ... I know you can turn off notifications etc .. but not having the watch on means not looking at it for notifications etc.

I don't use it for exercise mainly due to the fact that it would probably get damaged in the gym and I use wrist wraps a lot of the time. So in reality the only use I get for it outside of notifications was for easier access to phone functions ... which are not all that laborious.

So this week I've dusted off a few of my nice old watches and will get some new batteries .... and by the next Apple watch announcement I should know if I want a new one or not !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 askpt

whippet wrote: »
    somewhat off topic question .... has anyone stopped wearing their apple watch and gone back to a normal watch.

I've had an apple watch since the first series and currently have the series 5. a week ago I forgot to charge the watch and as I was leaving the house I just picked up one of my normal watches.

I haven't used the apple watch since. It has been a really nice break from not being connected ... I know you can turn off notifications etc .. but not having the watch on means not looking at it for notifications etc.

I don't use it for exercise mainly due to the fact that it would probably get damaged in the gym and I use wrist wraps a lot of the time. So in reality the only use I get for it outside of notifications was for easier access to phone functions ... which are not all that laborious.

So this week I've dusted off a few of my nice old watches and will get some new batteries .... and by the next Apple watch announcement I should know if I want a new one or not !!

In my case it’s the opposite. Never was a fan of watches until the Microsoft Band and more recently the Apple Watch. I used for sports and tracking so it’s a big plus.

Regarding your issue with notifications, perhaps you need to tune in a little bit and the new update this fall will help you better with Focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

I suppose what I am thinking … I don’t want to be as connected anymore.

I have been adding a lot of smart tech to the home over the last few year … everything from EV car apps, robotic lawnmower, ovens, dishwasher, security cameras, smart lighting, electric gates, homepods … if I were to turn all notifications on the watch / phone would never stop and that does not take into account the multitude of communication channels from work and all the WhatsApp groups and kids actvities.

In the last week being able to put the phone down and not look at it for a few hours has been really nice .. when wearing the watch you can’t really do that properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I see Apple have released ECG and blood monitoring for 30 further countries including Ireland. Wonder will we be getting the cellular version this year? This is the only reason I’ve held off getting the Apple Watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

Don't know about blood monitoring, but ECG has been available in Ireland since it was introduced with the series 4, I think? My series 5 has always had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ECG came within 6 months but it wasn't there on launch of Series 4. Blood oxygen was a launch feature of Series 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone seen any good deals for the series 6 lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi Folks,

Series 6 user here.

Can anyone recommend a protective cover for it that wont fog up in the gym.

Also have a small bank on the casing so im looking to avoid further bangs/scratches.

I have a cover and they fog up instantly and the touch is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

Found this one excellent but i think you nee dto order from amazon spain or germany as for some reason the uk one wont ship this .

be careful however when ordering as they also have one called liquid crystal that is basically just a clear bumper thats useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

looks like it i have the 44mm version on my 6 and find it great for running or if im in the gym, i dont however swim so cant vouch for it there

Good thing I checked as I had ordered the 40mm and I have a 44mm!

Thanks Tom!

Looks like it was dispatched before I could cancel, il send it back however if anyone wants a clear protective case for a 40mm let me know. Otherwise il return it

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Leonita

Hi all just bought the 3 series last week. I have to say the battery life is terrible. Im barely getting 12 hours before it has to be charged again. Surely this is not normal? If it is I will have to get a few spare chargers for it. Can anybody recommend somewhere to get the apple certified chargers for not crazy money?

TIA!

Post edited by Leonita on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Should have gone for the SE. Battery life is better in it. Also, if you have a small one, the battery size is reduced accordingly. Don't skimp on the cables, you really only need to have it on there for a little while to charge up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

If it's new that's certainly not normal.

I have a Series 3 since launch and am still getting a day out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

That’s not right. When I had my series 3, I charged it every second night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Is Apple Watch Series 6 suitable for sea swimming?

According to their website it says it’s water resistant to 50m. I wouldn’t be deep sea diving or anything, just swimming freestyle etc. Any apps recommended to track the distances I swim etc? Only getting into this, but would like to track my (slow!) progress. This watch has GPS so I’m guessing I’d be able to get a look at a map of where I actually swim.

Thanks for any advice / tips :)

Yes totally suitable, you can track swims in the Fitness app on the watch, it has two options "Pool Swim" and "Open Water Swim". GPS works quite well too (I only use it for runs/walks) and it tracks without the phone nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Thanks so much @CreamyGoodness for that info! I didn’t want to buy it & then discover that it wouldn’t do what I wanted it to do.

No excuses now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Apple Watch is one product by Apple that I’ve never owned or used in any way shape or form. I’ve been buying Apple products since the iPhone3S and this is the one that appeals to me the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I thought the same until I got the Series 6 last Christmas, it's fantastic if you're into fitness at all.

I also said the same about the iPad (why bother when I've a phone and a laptop?). Guess what I also own now.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Yeah, the watch is a real grower. They add features each year to keep it current but the truth is that you use the health features a few times to show them off and then forget about them, but they go on working in the background so that's kind of reassuring.

But if you own an iPhone and are in any way interested in fitness, then it's a no brainer. The 'rings' system on the watch is really clever and genuinely works to motivate me to move more than certainly I otherwise would. Otherwise it's handy to be able to see incoming messages at a glance etc, have the weather forecast there etc, but hardly life changing.

Still. I'll probably get a Series 7. I like the design of them, the ability to change the look and feel through straps and faces etc. They're a smart piece of personal tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

exactly that , i can go for runs and not bring my phone with me , the health data is very good too , 6 was the first one that i took the plunge for and i love it now . seems the 7 is going to be the first series that will give a good battery boost too if the reports are true

I've had the original watch, series 3, series 6 and whilst I agree it's a great piece of fitness tech. However I really wish they released one without the screen. As silly as that sounds the watch and the rings system stops me from wearing my other more fancier watches, and the Apple Watch is still incredibly chunky compared to them. Even with a lovely Milanese loop from apple the watch still feels like a computer strapped to my wrist.

An apple "watch" without the screen but still give me all the health benefits would be great, could extend battery life too I bet to 3-5 days without a OLED sipping power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭TXPTGR1

if you are into fitness garmin watches are so much better- charge and forget about it for days

have an iPhone don’t need another thing that’s useless to me if I forget to plug in every night ( in fairness phone has improved massively on this front , watch apparently has not)

also another thing that if you get into it requires a good outlay every 3 -4 years when battery is fucked- starts slowing down

watch and AirPods the 2 Apple products I’ll never buy

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

I too was like you saying I'd never need and apple watch. I have a Garmin Fenix for tracking and some limited "smart" alerts etc. The Garmin will last a week between charges so I thought I don't need some thing that needs to be charged every day/couple of days.

Around this time last year I got a give of the series 6 for a milestone birthday and I have to say I have never looked back. The Garmin is still brought out when there is a days hiking of a long cycle but day to day its the apple watch that is on my wrist.

Here are a few of my thoughts:

Battery: I typically will end the day with between 40% - 50% left. I have a routine where I put it on the charger first thing in the morning, go have my shower and get ready for the day and by the time I'm ready to go it is fully charged for the day.

Activity Rings: Great motivation to keep moving and get the exercise in.

Apple Pay: Nearly all my payment transactions are now done on my watch. Everything from a morning coffee for a couple of euro right up to my last car service that was over €800. It is so easy and secure it just make sense.

Siri: I find this feature very useful. Setting things like timers when cooking or reminders is quick and easy - "Hey Siri, Set timer for 20 minutes" - and its done.

Remote Control (for Spotify, Youtube etc.) - I got particular use of this feature during the summer when sitting in the garden enjoying a beer or two. Phone connected to bluetooth speaker and the ability to adjust volume and change the tracks without picking up the phone was great.

Information: Access to weather forecasts with hourly temps and % chance of rainfall at a quick glance is very handy.

Alarm: The best feature of the alarm is its haptics. It works great waking me up without waking the rest of the house at the same time.

Apps: When paired with the phone the navigation apps works great. You get haptic feedback right before your turn so you know exactly where you need to turn. There is also an App for the Local Authority where I live that allows me to pay for on street packing with a couple of clicks on the watch.

Fitness Tracking: I find this good for anything 2hrs or less. It tracks things very well but it is not as customizable as the Garmins which is a shame. Garmin also better on battery for longer activities.

Display: The display on the series 6 is fantastic - bright, Clear and Crisp. Always on display is also a great feature as sometimes you just want to glance down at the time without lifting your arm. I like the way it reduces the brightness and the details on certain watch faces when in standby and then brightens up and shows the details as you raise your hand. I would like more options with the faces and more customization. The Complications work great and are very useful.

Phone Unlocking: Anyone with an IPhone X or newer with Face ID to unlock knows the challenges they have in a Mask wearing world. One feature that apple rolled out early this year was the ability to unlock the phone while wearing a mask if it was paired to a apple watch on your wrist. A very useful feature in these times.

That is my experience after nearly a year. I would recommend the apple watch to any iPhone owner and the two pieces of kit work great together.

• Administrators Posts: 54,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah now, let's be honest, I love my Watch but the overwhelming majority of apps on the Watch are terrible. They are unusable on such a small screen. It is far faster to just take out your phone and do whatever you want to do.

Only a few key features are really excellent, and those are the notifications, unlocking the phone and pay. Fitness is good too, particularly if you're a runner and you want to store podcasts / music on the watch and leave the phone at home.

Other than that, the other features are fairly average.

• Advertisement

Going by where cellular was launched in the last 2 countries i.e. Belgium and Portugal, the carriers themselves announced it and it was in December time. So hopefully, Vodafone get the finger out and launch the eSIM for the watch. I think (stand to be corrected) we’re the only country apart from the Netherlands in the EU that is still waiting for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No need for phone to be present if you say want to go for a run and listen to music. If you want to say buy something while out without your phone you can use your watch. There are benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You don’t need your phone to buy something with the non cellular watch. But otherwise, I want it for running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I think you may have just swayed me to get the apple watch.

Really good review

Been thinking about it for ages, have the iPhone 12 Pro and the new Mac so seems like the right time to pick up the watch, think I'll wait until the 7 comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

You also don’t need it for running either. You can store the music locally on the watch.

However if you want to be available for calls, texts, notifications from other internet based apps, when you have left your phone at home - then yeah I guess it’s useful.

Very niche imo. I’m almost never out of WiFi range & without my phone.

As you said, You do If you want to be contactable. And that’s what I need.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I hope so as i've worn my Series 4 in the sea on many occasions :)

And just like any mechanical watch that’s rated for the water and used in salt water , e.g Rolex Sub, Just remember to rinse it after to get rid of any residue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Deffo.

normally wear it in the shower then to rinse it out.

good advice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Anyone doing the Series 7 preorder? The payment verification is GLACIAL! :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm trying to order one, the app says 3 weeks for dispatch

But the website doesn't have them even for sale yet?

I'm getting to the payment and it's giving me all sorts of website errors... It amazes me how they are unable to handle the traffic...

30 minutes later I got my order in via the Apple Store App. Gave up on the website.

2-3 week delivery.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'd order if i was getting it next week, but now the shipping is out to early to mid November, the want is gone off me now, they can keep it this year!

Clearly don't have stock available for next week, just taking cash while they're producing products.

Yeah, it defo looks that way Eeloe. I was about to throw my hat at it too and the last effort went through. The Green one (that I ordered) is still showing 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

What’s the chances of getting the Nike edition in store on launch day? New to this. Trying to flog curry vouchers. Disappointed with the delivery times online…

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

This is the first year that I've had a bit of cash and was considering a stainless steel or titanium model, but you can't order them in Ireland.

Anyone know why?

Was wondering that myself.

My order was just updated and delivery is the 8th of November. So much for 2-3 weeks, more like 4 weeks.

Because they’re cellular models. Apple has only offered the non cellular watches here and that’s now only aluminium. Honestly, I’d a SS launch watch and looking back I’ve no idea why you’d want a more expensive material on something that’s destined to be e waste in 3 to 4 years time.

Some people might say for the screens. But I’ve abused my S4 and there’s very little scratches on it. And given how most of these will be used for sports, I don’t want sapphire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭mun1

Ordered blue 45mm delivery 8th-15th nov .

• Advertisement
Advertisement