Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

eeloe wrote: »
    Basically yes, i have the nike version, only because i liked the strap it came with. Saying that, i didn't pay 60 extra for it, i got mine in the US and it was the same price as the stock watch.

The €60 price difference is due to the Nike watch being cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭iniall

The €60 price difference is due to the Nike watch being cheaper!

They're both €459 on apple.com? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

iniall wrote: »
    They're both €459 on apple.com? :confused:

You can get them cheaper on Nike.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭iniall

Sarn wrote: »
    You can get them cheaper on Nike.com.

Ah ok didn't realise. From €399 - that's a decent reduction! Is the strap the only difference?

Regular non-Nike watches start at €429 in Dixons, Dublin Airport. I thought that was the cheapest around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iniall wrote: »
    Ah ok didn't realise. From €399 - that's a decent reduction! Is the strap the only difference?

Regular non-Nike watches start at €429 in Dixons, Dublin Airport. I thought that was the cheapest around.

A Nike running app comes pre-installed, there’s some nike only watch faces and the etching on the back case has a Nike logo.

Other than that it’s the same watch.

• Advertisement

44mm Series 5 watch from the Nike website is €429
    44mm Series 5 watch from the Apple website is €489

I had planned on buying from the Apple website, but couldn't decide what colour watch or strap to go for. I am keeping my black sport band from my Series 3 so can wear that on the new watch. None of the straps on the Apple's website were really jumping out at me, apart from maybe the red sport band. I think I'll go with the watch from the Nike website, but do I go for a space grey or silver watch this time.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

New Apple Watch 5 slid off couch today. New ‘tougher’ screen smashed all over (previous Apple Watch managed 4 years without a scratch).

Contacted support who were helpful arranging collection for ‘repair’...then emailed me an upfront bill €501.30, €32 more than I paid for it new!! WTF? Anyone any experience dealing with them?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/watch/repair/service/pricing

€341.30 according to their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Neworder79 wrote: »
    New Apple Watch 5 slid off couch today. New ‘tougher’ screen smashed all over (previous Apple Watch managed 4 years without a scratch).

Contacted support who were helpful arranging collection for ‘repair’...then emailed me an upfront bill €501.30, €32 more than I paid for it new!! WTF? Anyone any experience dealing with them?

Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

whiterebel wrote: »

Yeah I looked this up over Christmas and was shocked at the price. My kid ran off with my watch while I was in the shower and I got it back with lots of scratches. Not sure what he did! It's not bad enough to warrant a repair (or lets face it just a new watch at that price) but I seriously regret not putting a screen protector on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

It was an error, the online support system couldn’t identify my device or location and it allocated default cost+shipping as a result. They identified an issue and contacted me to organising the repair, so happy with service in the end. But in future an Applecare plan might be worth the investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Neworder79 wrote: »
    It was an error, the online support system couldn’t identify my device or location and it allocated default cost+shipping as a result. They identified an issue and contacted me to organising the repair, so happy with service in the end. But in future an Applecare plan might be worth the investment.

How much did they charge you in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Anyone who ordered series 5 via Nike.com how long did it take to deliver?
    I ordered on Monday and still have no dispatch mail, now it says estimated delivery date of Jan 21st so maybe I'm just abit impatient but would have though it would need to be shipped today to even make the 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I ordered on Monday and still have no dispatch mail, now it says estimated delivery date of Jan 21st so maybe I'm just abit impatient but would have though it would need to be shipped today to even make the 21st.

Ordered Thursday last week, it shipped Friday afternoon and arrived, when it said it would when ordering, on Wednesday.

I ordered a couple of weeks ago from Nike. I ordered on a Sunday night and it was delivered on the Friday

Is anybody else disappointed with the battery in the Series 5?
    I got a Series 3 almost 3 years ago. I used to have to charge it every third night. My usage used to include tracking gym sessions and running, and depending on the session, I would have a heart rate monitor chest strap and bluetooth headphones connected. After about a year battery life deteriorated so I had been charging it every second night since.
    I got a Series 5 a couple of weeks ago and had presumed that I would be back to charging it every third night. I have been using the watch for tracking gym sessions and running as I did with the Series 3, but haven't had the heart rate monitor or headphones connected, and I've had to charge it every second night since I got it, and it's touch and go whether I even get to the end of the second day. I do have the always on display on, but Apple claimed this new feature and battery management improvements meant the battery life was the same as the Series 4 even with the always on display on. I had hoped/assumed I'd be back to 3 days use again between charged. I will more than likely turn it off next time I've charged fully to see how much of a difference it will make

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Never noticed. I just charge mine every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the screen glass? I seem to be picking up more and more fine scratches lately, much more than on my phone. I know it isn't sapphire glass, but still, I guess I expected more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Ordered Thursday last week, it shipped Friday afternoon and arrived, when it said it would when ordering, on Wednesday.
    I ordered a couple of weeks ago from Nike. I ordered on a Sunday night and it was delivered on the Friday

I must be unlucky so, still no sign. Big backlog of orders according to Nike online support, if I had know that at the time of purchase I would have just bought directly from Apple. :rolleyes: Just got to wait it out now I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Is anybody else disappointed with the battery in the Series 5?
    I got a Series 3 almost 3 years ago. I used to have to charge it every third night. My usage used to include tracking gym sessions and running, and depending on the session, I would have a heart rate monitor chest strap and bluetooth headphones connected. After about a year battery life deteriorated so I had been charging it every second night since.
    I got a Series 5 a couple of weeks ago and had presumed that I would be back to charging it every third night. I have been using the watch for tracking gym sessions and running as I did with the Series 3, but haven't had the heart rate monitor or headphones connected, and I've had to charge it every second night since I got it, and it's touch and go whether I even get to the end of the second day. I do have the always on display on, but Apple claimed this new feature and battery management improvements meant the battery life was the same as the Series 4 even with the always on display on. I had hoped/assumed I'd be back to 3 days use again between charged. I will more than likely turn it off next time I've charged fully to see how much of a difference it will make

Do you have the alerts for loud noises turned on? That sucked the life from my watch before I turned it off. Series 3 didn’t have that feature as far as I know.

• Advertisement

In reality your series 3 has really been over performing. It had battery capacity in spades because Apple got so good at energy efficiency but they still quoted the battery at “all day” battery life of 18hours.

Now with the series 5 they still quote the same battery life but due to the always on display it’s just getting closer to that 18 hours rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Anyone else a bit disappointed with the screen glass? I seem to be picking up more and more fine scratches lately, much more than on my phone. I know it isn't sapphire glass, but still, I guess I expected more.
    Sapphire is only on the stainless steel version. Not even sure that’s available in Ireland.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Do you have the alerts for loud noises turned on? That sucked the life from my watch before I turned it off. Series 3 didn’t have that feature as far as I know.

I don't, I have the watch on silent at all times
    In reality your series 3 has really been over performing. It had battery capacity in spades because Apple got so good at energy efficiency but they still quoted the battery at “all day” battery life of 18hours.

Now with the series 5 they still quote the same battery life but due to the always on display it’s just getting closer to that 18 hours rating.

The Series 3 had only been out approximately 3 months when I got it, so they hadn't had that much time to get overly efficient with it. The Series 5 had been out a similar amount of time when I got it.

I have turned off the always on display this morning to see how much of a difference it makes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You misunderstand, its the monitoring / alerts for loud noises it hears that kill the battery not the fact that it makes noises.

You misunderstand, its the monitoring / alerts for loud noises it hears that kill the battery not the fact that it makes noises.

Ah sorry, I did misunderstand you. I already have that switched off

The Series 3 had only been out approximately 3 months when I got it, so they hadn't had that much time to get overly efficient with it. The Series 5 had been out a similar amount of time when I got it.

I have turned off the always on display this morning to see how much of a difference it makes

What I meant was the components in the series 3 got more efficient at running watchOS and got smaller to facilitate physically larger battery. If the software was targeting a slower CPU i.e. series 2, and the series 3 is faster and more efficient it wouldn't use as much battery doing exercises, gps etc.

the series 5 decided to use that battery gain to give an always on screen but still give daily battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Just bought the series 3 today. Is there any apps that you guys recommend? Also is there a way to put music on it for running without having the phone. Won’t let me use Spotify out n about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Newport81 wrote: »
    Just bought the series 3 today. Is there any apps that you guys recommend? Also is there a way to put music on it for running without having the phone. Won’t let me use Spotify out n about?

Great watch. Enjoy

https://www.wareable.com/apple/apple-watch-tips-and-tricks-iwatch-7383

https://www.wareable.com/apple/how-to-add-apple-music-tracks-to-the-apple-watch

https://www.pocket-lint.com/smartwatches/buyers-guides/apple/133729-best-apple-watch-apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Newport81 wrote: »

Maybe not what you want to hear, but I swapped over to Apple Music, which does support copying music to the watch itself, and playing via bluetooth.

Advertisement