Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi A1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Did you bother with the Google camera mod?

Yeah, but I still use the stock camera now and again for the 2X zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

If you do the Google camera thing do you need to repeat it whenever an Android update is released?

If you do the Google camera thing do you need to repeat it whenever an Android update is released?

No. It's just an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Mine got slight damp when I was out on my bike.
    Phones dead, sitting in a bag of rice, I'm not feeling confident though.
    I was going to pull it apart but I don't have the screw head required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

chrismon wrote: »
    Mine got slight damp when I was out on my bike.
    Phones dead, sitting in a bag of rice, I'm not feeling confident though.
    I was going to pull it apart but I don't have the screw head required.

Worrying that a slight bit of damp would fry your phone.
    Hope it recovers.
    Leave it in the rice as long as you can bear..
    I'd take out the sim tray and memory card too (but be careful of rice ingress)

• Advertisement

Worrying that a slight bit of damp would fry your phone.
    Hope it recovers.
    Leave it in the rice as long as you can bear..
    I'd take out the sim tray and memory card too (but be careful of rice ingress)

Exactly what I done.
    The phone was powered off when I took it from my pocket but the light was flashing randomly and the speaker was crackling.
    I'll keep you updated, my pocket honestly didn't get that wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

this is the main reason i end up buying really expensive phones. for some kind of water resistance...i'm a postman and pockets get very wet some days...online radio and podcasts get me round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Just this evening the headphone symbol has appeared on my phone and i cant get rid of it! Has anyone come across this problem and more importantly is there a fix?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Can you actually hear anything without the headphones? I got this after dropping it quite badly. I put some headphones in and jiggled them about very gently. It went away after a few minutes and has been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Just this evening the headphone symbol has appeared on my phone and i cant get rid of it! Has anyone come across this problem and more importantly is there a fix?!

I had similar issue with the RedmiNote 4. Used a matchstick and it eventually cleared this issue - seems like the contacts inside the jack temporarily short circuited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Bahanaman wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I was at a hurling match yesterday handing out water bottles and a large splash hit the pocket the phone was in. I got to wondering if maybe some water had entered the headphone jack. So I got a hair dryer and gave it a blast for about a minute and the symbol disappeared. All well again!

So had the phone in a zip lock bag filled with silica sand for 3 nights.
    Plugged it in and the notification light, flash light, and speaker started going nuts.
    Phone wont turn on so I'd say the board is fried.

Any recommendations for a new phone in around the same price point?
    Thinking the Huawei P Smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

So had the phone in a zip lock bag filled with silica sand for 3 nights.
    Plugged it in and the notification light, flash light, and speaker started going nuts.
    Phone wont turn on so I'd say the board is fried.

Sorry to hear that, but I'd give it another few days in a bag of rice in the hot press before giving up the ghost.

I thought I'd killed mine after attempting to restart too early, but another 48 hours and it started as if nothing had happened..

Bit the bullet and bought another one Mi A1.
    Out of everything out there it is the best phone for the value.

€192 delivered from Amazon.es again.

Bit the bullet and bought another one Mi A1.
    Out of everything out there it is the best phone for the value.

You didn't consider the Redmi Note 5 at about a tenner extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

UsedToWait wrote:

The redmi is great value with the increased battery and processor but the backward step from usb c is a game changer

chrismon wrote:

It's 170 on eglobal for the 64GB

Patww79 wrote: »
    Android One vs MIUI. I'd go for the Mi A1 all day in that case.

Fair point, and I had been very close to choosing the A1 at times, but I think the custom rom community provides plenty of options to discard MIUI, so opted for the Note 5 eventually.

• Advertisement

I did but the Android One was the main winner for me.
    tedpan wrote: »
    The redmi is great value with the increased battery and processor but the backward step from usb c is a game changer

USB C is great, but the lack of fast charge lets it down.
    Patww79 wrote: »

My thinking as well.
    It's 170 on eglobal for the 64GB

I thought the extra €20 to get the European warranty was worth the difference to me. (not that it did me much good last time :pac:)
    Fair point, and I had been very close to choosing the A1 at times, but I think the custom rom community provides plenty of options to discard MIUI, so opted for the Note 5 eventually.

Hadn't considered that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Ordered one of these on Monday from Honorbuy to replace an old S4 for Miss ALM that has been serving her well but starting to get on a bit these days. Shipped yesterday and has just landed in the door, fast turnaround, she will be delighted with the change this evening. €182 including a case, screen protector and delivery so can't complain. Seems a nice phone in the hand but will have to wait until later to see how it goes.

With the Nokia 7plus that should be us both sorted for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Purchased from Honorbuy & received the phone within 2 days.

Only issue is it shipped with a 2-pin EU plug & presumed the'd throw in a 3-pin when they saw Ireland as the shipping destination :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Purchased from Honorbuy & received the phone within 2 days.

Only issue is it shipped with a 2-pin EU plug & presumed the'd throw in a 3-pin when they saw Ireland as the shipping destination :confused:

You don't have one from any other previous phone?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

THE ALM wrote: »
    Ordered one of these on Monday from Honorbuy to replace an old S4 for Miss ALM that has been serving her well but starting to get on a bit these days. Shipped yesterday and has just landed in the door, fast turnaround, she will be delighted with the change this evening. €182 including a case, screen protector and delivery so can't complain. Seems a nice phone in the hand but will have to wait until later to see how it goes.

With the Nokia 7plus that should be us both sorted for a while.

7 plus is class

Sir Dosser wrote:

You should only use the charger supplied with the phone. They are made specifically for each model, so although it may charge ok it may cause damage to the phone's battery using an old charger.

Patww79 wrote:

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not true.

No it is true , take it from me , an Android OS developer. You can use third party chargers. Phones will just take what current they require. Just make sure it’s a reputable brand with the correct safety standards and your good to go.

• Advertisement

You should only use the charger supplied with the phone. They are made specifically for each model, so although it may charge ok it may cause damage to the phone's battery using an old charger.

Nah. We've been using an Aldi USB charging block for every phone and tablet in the house for well over a year now with no issues (bar fighting over the "fast charge" port).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sir Dosser wrote: »

I do, but as has been touched upon in the follow-on discussion, I like to use a plug specific to the model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Can private numbers be blocked on this device?
    If not any apps anybody would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody else having trouble ordering this from Amazon.es?

I ordered and it didn't dispatch for four days so cancelled and order again from another seller(lower price also this time). Still hasn't dispatched in over a day now.

I'd sorta understand if it was free delivery but seems very slow? Got on to Amazon support and they are going to try get me an update by email they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'd sorta understand if it was free delivery but seems very slow? Got on to Amazon support and they are going to try get me an update by email they said.

I find Amazon is getting very slow.
    I ordered other stuff from amazon uk in the 11th and it still hasn't dispatched ( with amazon being the seller).

• Advertisement

donegal. wrote: »
    I ordered other stuff from amazon uk in the 11th and it still hasn't dispatched ( with amazon being the seller).

I ordered a dashcam on 11th and it arrived early on the 14th. I've never had an Amazon order arrive this quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

donegal. wrote: »

That's woeful. Gonna start looking around a bit more if this is the level of service.

Both amazon.es orders I made took over a week to process.
    Brutal service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Manana ;-)
    (Apologies to anyone Spanish. The forums seems to be filtering the tilda)

• Advertisement

I ordered a dashcam on 11th and it arrived early on the 14th. I've never had an Amazon order arrive this quick.

Ahhh. Another order placed on 18th has a delivery date estimate between 28th June and 3rd July. :rolleyes:

Ordered on the 11th and it arrived today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Xiaomi seem to be slow updating this phone to 8.1. A lot of their new handsets already have 8.1 along with other android one devices. I'm happy with the phone but its not the cheap Nexus I was expecting it to be. 8.1 is out 4 or 5 months now and diddly squat available for the mi a1. I'm really gonna invest in a pixel 3 when they come out. You just cannot beat the update experience of a phone directly tethered to google.

What's on 8.1 that you're missing out on?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Xiaomi seem to be slow updating this phone to 8.1. A lot of their new handsets already have 8.1 along with other android one devices. I'm happy with the phone but its not the cheap Nexus I was expecting it to be. 8.1 is out 4 or 5 months now and diddly squat available for the mi a1. I'm really gonna invest in a pixel 3 when they come out. You just cannot beat the update experience of a phone directly tethered to google.

8.1 was released 15 days ago, on June 4th

sydthebeat wrote: »
    8.1 was released 15 days ago, on June 4th

For the Mi a1?

Pixel devices got it last December.

What's on 8.1 that you're missing out on?

The update experience, experimenting with new features is always good especially if you buy a device that gives you the privilege to have them faster then others. Its why I bought an android one piece.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For the Mi a1?

Pixel devices got it last December.

Google devices (nexus and pixel) got it last Dec, as they were the platforms it was developed on.

Each OEM has to beta test the OS on their devices.

Xiaomi have initially targeted end June /beginning July for Mi A1 roll out.

Other manufacturers are only rolling it out currently this month too.

The update experience, experimenting with new features is always good especially if you buy a device that gives you the privilege to have them faster then others. Its why I bought an android one piece.

I meant specifically. :D My last update was 5th of May, but that was just security updates. If it was a major release, I'd be antsy too (I still remember spamming the updates for Froyo - with Flash!) but 8.1 doesn't seem to be a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Ok, a strange one you guys might be able to help with.

I have a Mi A1 for a while now and yesterday decided to try enter a competition on the radio.

Tried to text 53104 but got an error com.android.phone has stopped. So closed the app and tried re-sending. The sms will not send no matter what I do.

Have tried to change Premium SMS access but apparently it cannot be changed - get the notification "No installed apps have requested Premium SMS access"

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement