Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi A1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Done the 8.1 update the other day and am having the issue where the notification light is staying on instead of blinking. Has anyone tried a factory reset? Did it resolve the issue? Thinking of doing one anyway and installing gcam.

This appears to be a known issue, so don't think factory reset will solve it. It's all over XDA and Reddit. Not a huge issue as LED would use very little battery. Doesn't seem to be any verification if it's an intentional change, or a bug either, although can't see why it would be intentional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

digitaldr wrote: »
    Did you get this sorted?

Only when I returned home - needed to toggle to international in the sim toolkit app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Anyone have an issue with static coming from the speaker?
    What's the story with eglobals return policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Does anyone know an easy way to transfer all data from a Xiaomi to this A1, my current phone, a redmi prime 2 backs up to mi cloud, there is no way in settings to back up to Google, I am not sure how to transfer to new phone,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Beans_On

so whats the verdict on downloading the recent 8.1 update? Best to just leave it?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Beans_On wrote: »
    so whats the verdict on downloading the recent 8.1 update? Best to just leave it?

i have it since 1st July, and to be honest the only difference ive noticed is a new tab when given the choice to "power off or restart"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I don't have any themes ?

I think that's more of a translucency on the app screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Beans_On wrote: »

I just noticed the Vodafone HS APN has reappeared and can't be deleted or edited, that means I'm charged for tethering. No idea how or why... Feck, should have left it on 8.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

I just noticed the Vodafone HS APN has reappeared and can't be deleted or edited, that means I'm charged for tethering. No idea how or why... Feck, should have left it on 8.0.

Yeah been trying to figure that out myself ! Can't find anyway to delete it very frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yeah been trying to figure that out myself ! Can't find anyway to delete it very frustrating

Seen it mentioned somewhere on here I think that if you remove the 2nd sim it allows you edit the settings of the first one. Haven't tried it myself though.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭maximo31

i get the impression that people are regretting downloading the most recent System Update.
    Its on my phone ready to download but i haven't done it yet.
    I'm no phone expert so does it make a difference if i don't download?
    What changes will happen to the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Thinking about getting the Mi A2 which is just out (already see it on some of the Chinese websites), around 240 for a 64GB version looks great value, and looks like it will beat my Moto G5+ photos for quality!
    What are peoples experiences with the A1?

Has anyone unlocked and rooted theirs and what is that like? 
    The stock ROMs and OTA updates for Moto are difficult to find and far between versions (coming from the Nexus line)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

whereas i think, with bigger battery and slick modern design, and of course pure stock android...that a2 lite is very appealing....a friend of mine may be getting me to order her a xiaomi phone soon...i did recommend the redmi note 5...but this a2 lite is making me consider it an alternative

Patww79 wrote: »

Mi Mix 2s
    Mi Mix 2
    Mi 8
    Mi Note 3
    Mi Note 2
    Mi Mix
    Mi 6
    Mi shark
    Mi 5
    Mi 5s
    Mi 5s plus

all Xiaomi models which have NFC

unfortuntely they would be the higher end phones and relatively priced..... which have NFC and B3 and B20. They tend to have the stronger chips as well.

Seems to be carrier locked in 8.1. Vodafone might disable it for you, they did for me last year on a Smart Ultra 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

gotten this phone m1 few months back and besides it having issues with weak internal antenna,which not sure is it factory issues or weak carriers here as had issues with vodafone for last 5 years with weak signal and having two sims now vodafone is losing signal every second when im walking round house which is really annoying,while tesco sim seems to work ok , but once in town no issues at all with either reception.

In general there's a lot of updates that have been pushed trough it since ive gotten in last few months and know that they still work out daily to fix few quirks, but for the price of the phone id rather buy 4 of these then likes of brand names that cost 5 times more and its basically same few blings aside, even NFC given how long its been out i dont see any usage for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Anyone know when the Mi A2 is available in Europe? It looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Anyone any thoughts on the Mi A2 vs the lite version? From what I can see it comes down to the following:

Mi A2
    - Better camera and chip.
    - USB C
    - Worse Battery
    - €234

Mi A2 Lite
    - Camera not as good (would it be same/similar camera to Mi A1?)
    - Bigger Battery
    - Micro USB
    - €184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

My one big complaint is the screenshot is an absolute nightmare. My old Huawei had a screenshot button in drop down menu that you just pressed. None of the holding volume down and power button crap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Keith C wrote: »
    My one big complaint is the screenshot is an absolute nightmare. My old Huawei had a screenshot button in drop down menu that you just pressed. None of the holding volume down and power button crap!

Have you tried - Ok Google - take a screenshot? It will then upload to Google Photos. Might be an alternative for you.

absolute nightmare

Pressing two buttons?

Only a nightmare if you don't have two hands

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Only a nightmare if you don't have two hands

:D That did cross my mind, but no; it's really easy with one hand too.

Since they brought in the side pop-up power off menu with Android 8.1 they'll hopefully add the screenshot option when Android One updates to 9.0 which hopefully isn't too far away. It's very handy there.

2a947zl.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Anyone ever come across this issue, my wife has this phone since Christmas, but now she can't answer a call, when an incoming call comes in , she answers on her end, the screen changes as normal as she has answered,but she can't hear anyone as for the person that's ringing her it's still ringing on their end.

glic83 wrote: »
    Anyone ever come across this issue, my wife has this phone since Christmas, but now she can't answer a call, when an incoming call comes in , she answers on her end, the screen changes as normal as she has answered,but she can't hear anyone as for the person that's ringing her it's still ringing on their end.

Is she on an mnvo network? Eg lyca etc.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Is she on an mnvo network? Eg lyca etc.

No, eir is her operator, seems like it's the phone at fault as she can receive WhatsApp calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

glic83 wrote: »
    No, eir is her operator, seems like it's the phone at fault as she can receive WhatsApp calls
    Have to tried backing it up and then doing a factory reset.

massy086 wrote: »
    Have to tried backing it up and then doing a factory reset.

No haven't tried that yet, but it's next on the list

Did the factory reset but no joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I'm using this phone on tescomobile.
    While driving along the m50 and switching between masts and if I have the phone on standby it loses connectivity and I cant take or make a call.
    Restarting fixes it but it's not ideal.
    Does anybody else have this issue?
    I haven't updated it yet incidentally.
    Is the issue with the phone or with tescomobile?

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I'm using this phone on tescomobile.
    While driving along the m50 and switching between masts and if I have the phone on standby it loses connectivity and I cant take or make a call.
    Restarting fixes it but it's not ideal.
    Does anybody else have this issue?
    I haven't updated it yet incidentally.
    Is the issue with the phone or with tescomobile?

That's Tesco mobile.

anyone figured out how to get notification light to blink again, or do we wait until another patch is out, a bit annoying when its constantly on.

my notification light is not constantly on

• Advertisement

donegal. wrote: »
    my notification light is not constantly on
    well the issue came with april firmware update, so prob you didnt installed it ? as few pages back seen people with same issue, thou not sure if it happens for every phone thou.

scamalert wrote: »
    well the issue came with april firmware update, so prob you didnt installed it ? as few pages back seen people with same issue, thou not sure if it happens for every phone thou.

my last security patch was july 1st but my notification light seems to work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

so glad i got my wife her phone before the update where you couldnt install gcam easier any more.
    hers has gcam on which takes very good photos compared to stock camera...battery is outstanding, she charges every 2 days sometimes 3...and its always fast and buttery smooth and slick.
    its a great phone for her.

and...that speaker...so loud.....had a BBQ recently and she hooked it up to a bluetooth speaker here, a tecevo one which has a decent volume...but phone was nearly as loud as it so didnt bother with speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

:D That did cross my mind, but no; it's really easy with one hand too.
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the ring window appears and keeps getting caught in the screenshot and for some apps the screenshot just doesn't work

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the ring window appears and keeps getting caught in the screenshot and for some apps the screenshot just doesn't work

Just press volume down and the power button together and hold for a second. If you press one before the other it won't work - has to be both together.
    Once you get used to it, it's no bother at all.

474mb security update this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Has anyone managed to install Google Camera with the HDR+ on their A1 without rooting?

There are loads of apps out there, they will install, but won't open

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to install Google Camera with the HDR+ on their A1 without rooting?

There are loads of apps out there, they will install, but won't open

yes, mine has HDR+ and HDR+ enhanced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yes, mine has HDR+ and HDR+ enhanced

How did you go about it? Any tips / links would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

The August security update fixed the LED notification light for me. It blinks as normal now.

Advertisement