Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi A1

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    How did you go about it? Any tips / links would be appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62vzQ3NuqU

i followed this .... easy enough if your patient

edit: just to add, i did this before the MAY OTA, and they are recommending you downgrade to April or before..... ive no idea how easy / hard that is to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I installed the July update yesterday to 8.1.0 and now my home screen appears 'washed out' on the bottom half. It looks like the photo was over exposed. Is there a fix for this or can the update be uninstalled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I installed the July update yesterday to 8.1.0 and now my home screen appears 'washed out' on the bottom half. It looks like the photo was over exposed. Is there a fix for this or can the update be uninstalled?

Just the home screen? Might be shading on the launcher so you could try Nova, Action, etc and see if that's any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm looking for another one of these (32gb), where is the best place to buy now (fast and cheap)? Cheers.

I'm looking for another one of these (32gb), where is the best place to buy now (fast and cheap)? Cheers.

https://buy.mi.com/es/buy/product/mi-a1

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

Cheers, but feck that. I think I'll try eGlobal for £130.99 -£5 for referral!

could be a couple of weeks delivery though

could be a couple of weeks delivery though

I suppose it's fast OR cheap. Can't have both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I'm thinking of changing my provider away from lycamobile. The signal is just too erratic. I often get people telling me they couldn't get through to me and calls often drop on me. Friend of mine told me that a sim from a new company e.g. Eir will not work as my A1 will be locked to my old lyca sim as that is the one I used to set up the phone when I got it. Does anyone here have experience with changing providers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I'm thinking of changing my provider away from lycamobile. The signal is just too erratic. I often get people telling me they couldn't get through to me and calls often drop on me. Friend of mine told me that a sim from a new company e.g. Eir will not work as my A1 will be locked to my old lyca sim as that is the one I used to set up the phone when I got it. Does anyone here have experience with changing providers?

Your xiaomi mi a1 was bought sim-free meaning it's not locked to any network and never will be. Your friend got it wrong. Yes move to a different network. Have a look at the data user plan thread in bargain alerts. Difference between lyca and Vodafone is like night and day in every respect.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

fck vodafone area i live in its like black hole 2 minutes into town full bars :confused: now got this constant r letter besides vodafone guess its using different network.Anyway see whos got what signal in your house on different providers, use tesco as backup and so far glad plus 15gb and free calls for 15e a month is a huge bonus, went on holidays and set it up as hotspot 10 days on 5gb streaming music browsing was a breeze, anyway different areas have different coverage i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all my speaker seems to have gone bad as it really low.has anyone had to return a phone to honor buy.how long did it take and do the just replace the phone or repair it

massy086 wrote: »
    Hi all my speaker seems to have gone bad as it really low.has anyone had to return a phone to honor buy.how long did it take and do the just replace the phone or repair it
    depends where you got it, think xiaomi has some sort of branches in EU or should be having soon, but try contacting the seller or shop you got if from and see how that goes, since if gotten online good chance you might get it replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

scamalert wrote: »
    depends where you got it, think xiaomi has some sort of branches in EU or should be having soon, but try contacting the seller or shop you got if from and see how that goes, since if gotten online good chance you might get it replaced.
    I bought the phone through honorbuy italy

well Ive no idea of the company to be fair, id say try em first, also what does warranty state on the small leaflet as i never read those, so would be no harm in checking if xiaomi themselves could help you in sending for repair or replacing. As ive read somewhere they are planning move in EU market and bundled with google id expect them to be on the proper side to fix issues if device is faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Can you hide your number when dialing out ? .Cant find a way to do it

rebeve wrote: »
    Can you hide your number when dialing out ? .Cant find a way to do it

It's buried in the dialer app. Go to dialer- settings- Calling accounts- choose your sim - call settings - additional settings

Update - ordered from eGlobal on 30th, and out for delivery with DPD right now (6th).

Missed that I should be using the EU site and not UK and then forgot to apply the €5 discount :rolleyes:

It was €156 all in and 5 working days for delivery - not bad.

anyone experience no network issue ? appeared about a week ago once tried calling said no mobile network service, didnt think much about it, till next day tried to make a call and got same, rebooted phone and it picked up signal, two days later same story trying to call no mobile signal, thing is i get messages coming trough sim2 but main sim seems suddenly dropping connection it shows that bars up and all but once try calling nada.
    Since main number and prob missed few calls as well as got message missed calls once rebooted.

Serious pain in the hole not sure is it recent firmware update that's messing up as usual, or is it tesco mobile the culprit,as second sim seems to work fine. Took out both sims looks clean and in place, just in case it moved a bit, as hoping its just one off :/

anyone experience no network issue ? appeared about a week ago once tried calling said no mobile network service, didnt think much about it, till next day tried to make a call and got same, rebooted phone and it picked up signal, two days later same story trying to call no mobile signal, thing is i get messages coming trough sim2 but main sim seems suddenly dropping connection it shows that bars up and all but once try calling nada.
    Since main number and prob missed few calls as well as got message missed calls once rebooted.

Serious pain in the hole not sure is it recent firmware update that's messing up as usual, or is it tesco mobile the culprit,as second sim seems to work fine.

Many people are having that issue. It's a network issue though and not a phone issue.

• Advertisement

Serious pain in the hole not sure is it recent firmware update that's messing up as usual, or is it tesco mobile the culprit,as second sim seems to work fine. Took out both sims looks clean and in place, just in case it moved a bit, as hoping its just one off :/

I'm on tescomobile too with this phone and have the same issues.
    Restarting sorts it but it is a pain in the proverbial.
    Seems to happen everytime I'm on the m50 between Firhouse

and Dundrum. There must be a mast switch around there.

i know that M1 suffered a lot of issues with reception and they tried to boost it trough firmware, but yeah seems could be issue with our mobile networks as had nothing but troubles with Vodafone for years now which after last firmware update is on roaming now constantly thou same network.

Anyway i pooped my sims out and put back in so far seems to hold on.

I've noticed the same issue on Tesco only.

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I'm on tescomobile too with this phone
    Seems to happen everytime I'm on the m50 between Firhouse

and Dundrum. There must be a mast switch around there.

Further to this I've noticed that if I'm on a call (while on bluetooth) between these points I lose signal for about 5 seconds and the call automatically reconnects.
    However if I'm not on a call and the phone is on standby I loose call connectivity and it doesn't reconnect until I restart the phone.

well restarting seems only fixes it short while my main is tesco sim and while it shows signal once you need to make a call you get no reception etc message, its really annoying as not sure if its last update or is the mobile network acting up, as bars are there but cant make a call, not sure about receiving them either :confused: its not constant but seems over days time at some point it just drops connection to network :cool:

well restarting seems only fixes it short while my main is tesco sim and while it shows signal once you need to make a call you get no reception etc message, its really annoying as not sure if its last update or is the mobile network acting up, as bars are there but cant make a call, not sure about receiving them either :confused: its not constant but seems over days time at some point it just drops connection to network :cool:
    Look in the Talk to Tesco forum on here. Plenty of people with all sorts of phones having the same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I've had a similar issue on the eir network. Get a no network or similar for a while, doesn't pick up the network until I restart the device. Only happened maybe 2 or 3 times, nothing major and hasn't occurred in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

All this about loosing signal.
    It's the crap Tesco mobile network.
    I suffered it too recently with a new Tesco mobile payg SIM.
    I still have €15 on it but couldn't be arsed with the hassle of such a bad network, life's too short for such nonsense!

Heck even Lycamobile's network doesn't suffer like this!

Just move to a different network.
    If you want the best and willing to pay then choose Vodafone.
    If you want budget then try Lycamobile.

All based on personal experience and opinion :)

biebiebie wrote: »
    All this about loosing signal.
    It's the crap Tesco mobile network.
    I suffered it too recently with a new Tesco mobile payg SIM.
    I still have €15 on it but couldn't be arsed with the hassle of such a bad network, life's too short for such nonsense!

Heck even Lycamobile's network doesn't suffer like this!

Just move to a different network.
    If you want the best and willing to pay then choose Vodafone.
    If you want budget then try Lycamobile.

All based on personal experience and opinion :)
    ive been with vodafone for 10 years and good few years ago after moving and them messing with towers etc, i barely have signal in the house with them, so its down to location seems every network is a draw of luck, some sit on meteor or lyca and are ok, im on vodafone and tesco and both suck now go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Has anyone experienced issues with the camera on the MI A1?

My camera crashed 3 days ago and has not worked since (have tried all the usual hard/soft reset etc)

jim salter wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced issues with the camera on the MI A1?

My camera crashed 3 days ago and has not worked since (have tried all the usual hard/soft reset etc)
    have u tried any different camera apps to rule out camera failure ?

have u tried any different camera apps to rule out camera failure ?

Thanks for the reply.

Was getting the error "camera has stopped working". I had gcam all along. Uninstalled and used the native camera and it doesn't work.

When I launch the camera app all I get is a black screen and none of the options work.

Ran a hardware test and the camera is not detected :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

jim salter wrote:

Have you gone into settings and checked the phone apps, is it there? If so, clear the cache and see if it that solves the issue. Maybe do a restart of the phone.

august12 wrote: »
    Have you gone into settings and checked the phone apps, is it there? If so, clear the cache and see if it that solves the issue. Maybe do a restart of the phone.

I have doe all that.

The hardware test for "CameraBack" has failed with the message "cant not find camera". This would indicate a hardware fault with the camera. The module is no longer detected.

I can contacted Xiaomi and they have basically stated : "We are sorry to inform you that as of now we are not selling the products from our official global website so we won't be able to assist you regarding the service center. Also, we have guided you with all the possible troubleshooting steps and if still the issue persists then, would request you to get in touch with the respective point of purchase for further support."

Will be the last Xiaomi product I will buy

• Advertisement

well did you try contacting seller, if you paid paypal think you have like 6 months to put in claim at worst. I know the feel you get smth and it aint working fine then you sort of dont wanna go near same company again, a bit shame that xiaomi turned their back on it, since imagine its like 10$ replacement for them.

Anyway anyone noticed notification for latest firmware update, not sure what fixes it has as seems its been hit and miss in past few months where they fix smth and then something else goes sideways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Anyway anyone noticed notification for latest firmware update, not sure what fixes it has as seems its been hit and miss in past few months where they fix smth and then something else goes sideways.

I've been having this issue on my Redmi Note 4 - notifications don't come through till hours later.

is it on latest firmware update as got notification only today so guess maybe day or two since its out, but seeing since they fixed constant light with notifications on last, not fond of having few hours delay on missed calls emails :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

is it on latest firmware update as got notification only today so guess maybe day or two since its out, but seeing since they fixed constant light with notifications on last, not fond of having few hours delay on missed calls emails :cool:

getting the no update available thing, so I assume so. I never took it off MIUI so its on MIUI9.6.1.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Anybody tried installing clash of clans recently on this phone?
    My son had it on his mi a1 and had to re-install it for some reason. 
    Installation gets as far as 92% in play store and then hangs.
    I tried on my mi a1 and get the same result?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

• Advertisement

Try going to the Google play store app, clear data and cache

And then try install again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

john9876 wrote: »
    Anybody tried installing clash of clans recently on this phone?
    My son had it on his mi a1 and had to re-install it for some reason. 
    Installation gets as far as 92% in play store and then hangs.
    I tried on my mi a1 and get the same result?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Worked on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭traco

Battery Drain question:

Anyone seen issues with battery drain? Mrs Traco's phone and she said last night it can drop dramatically with little or no usage. Of course i get told this at midnight but a quick google search is throwing up similar posts elsewhere. It was 1% last night having been charged in the afternoon. I haven't had a chance to look at the version its running or if it has done an update. Its not rooted or anything - just as it came and updates if they've been done would have to have been automatic - shes not techy and I didn't do anything on it recently.

Only using basic apps, email, whatsapp, phone, FB, Linkedin. Now that I think of it there is some online scrabble game??

Link to an article on the issue:
    https://xiaomifirmware.com/guides-and-tips/excessive-battery-drain-xiaomi-mi-a1/
    That's fairly techy and I really an an android noob so it would take me time to work through all that if its even the issue.

Any simple suggestions to try before I try and crack a nut with a sledgehammer? Pointers appreciated. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭traco

Battery Drain question:

Anyone seen issues with battery drain? Mrs Traco's phone and she said last night it can drop dramatically with little or no usage. Of course i get told this at midnight but a quick google search is throwing up similar posts elsewhere. It was 1% last night having been charged in the afternoon. I haven't had a chance to look at the version its running or if it has done an update. Its not rooted or anything - just as it came and updates if they've been done would have to have been automatic - shes not techy and I didn't do anything on it recently.

Only using basic apps, email, whatsapp, phone, FB, Linkedin. Now that I think of it there is some online scrabble game??

https://xiaomifirmware.com/guides-and-tips/excessive-battery-drain-xiaomi-mi-a1/
    That's fairly techy and I really an an android noob so it would take me time to work through all that if its even the issue.

Any simple suggestions to try before I try and crack a nut with a sledgehammer? Pointers appreciated. thanks

traco wrote: »
    Battery Drain question:

I have a similar issue of battery drain.

Not found a silution

jim salter wrote: »

As Xiaomi were unwilling to even offer help I decided to take the phone apart to try diagnose the issue.

The camera module connectors were disconnected. Reconnected them and camera working again.

Phone was never dropped or treated in any way harshly. Has a 'shockproof' protective case on also.

Anyone have an updated guide how to install GCam? Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Is Android pie much different to Apple pie?

john9876 wrote: »
    Is Android pie much different to Apple pie?

Better in every way :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement