Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi A1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Pie has been released in Belgium / Netherlands since Saturday apparently, so here's hoping we get it this side of Xmas here in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭tnegun

I hope so was released almost a month ago for the A2 and still no sign of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

jim salter wrote: »
    Anyone have an updated guide how to install GCam? Please

Haven't found one myself, the way to do it seems to be to downgrade to the older version of Android then upgrade the camera, then upgrade Android version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A few nice visual changes in Pie like the colourful settings menu and split search bar. Haven't had a good play with it yet though, but picture in picture works grand and digital wellbeing is there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Any recommendations for a good case , need something decent, got phone for the son and he would break iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Jamemid wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good case , need something decent, got phone for the son and he would break iron.

I find this one offers decent protection and isn't too bulky.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Case-Cover-For-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-Brushed-Shockproof-Hybrid-Carbon-Fibre-Gel-/253611853196?hash=item3b0c71c58c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone has issue with message network not found :confused::cool: this keeps digging my head in since ive gotten the phone earlier in the year, ive 2 sims vodafone and tesco, tesco runs as main as vodafone reception was/is terrible in my area yet few minutes outside home i got full bars.

Thing is phone always shows coverage changing drooping depending where i am at home, then trying to make a call even thou it shows signal i get the message, which in turn also causes other people unable to reach me. Im at a loss is it some dark area where i live or is the phone causing issues, as weak signal wouldnt be bad, but without me knowing it seems to drop cell signal totally until rebooting phone.

phone has every update that came out but not sure is it weak internal antenna and crap software fixes or operators at fault :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Still waiting for the Android Pie update on mine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭tnegun

Same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Still waiting for the Android Pie update on mine...

Yea, me too.

So you have to wait for a message /link, or can you activate it yourself.

There's a few videos on YouTube about how to install it by clearing some caches and using a VPN. Worked spot on for me last week when it first rolled out.

Edit - this is the one I followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

scamalert wrote: »
    anyone has issue with message network not found :confused::cool: this keeps digging my head in since ive gotten the phone earlier in the year, ive 2 sims vodafone and tesco, tesco runs as main as vodafone reception was/is terrible in my area yet few minutes outside home i got full bars.

Thing is phone always shows coverage changing drooping depending where i am at home, then trying to make a call even thou it shows signal i get the message, which in turn also causes other people unable to reach me. Im at a loss is it some dark area where i live or is the phone causing issues, as weak signal wouldnt be bad, but without me knowing it seems to drop cell signal totally until rebooting phone.

phone has every update that came out but not sure is it weak internal antenna and crap software fixes or operators at fault :confused:

I had to switch away from Tesco cos they kept dropping calls and people couldn't get in touch with me despite me having signal. So could be that.

as mentioned for some reason vodafone went really bad in my home years ago little to none signal, tesco seems to have better signal in my house but it constantly drops/disconnects on both sims if say going from first floor to ground floor - and this somehow causes phone to go into completely dropping cell coverage until you try to dial to see message no network connection :cool:

will see if its any better with new update,once its rolled out.

Anyone know does the Android P manual rotate work on this? On my Pixel 3 the right on screen nav button changes to a rotate one but because these have the nav buttons below the screen I'm not sure how it works.

• Advertisement

as mentioned for some reason vodafone went really bad in my home years ago little to none signal, tesco seems to have better signal in my house but it constantly drops/disconnects on both sims if say going from first floor to ground floor - and this somehow causes phone to go into completely dropping cell coverage until you try to dial to see message no network connection :cool:

will see if its any better with new update,once its rolled out.

If you go on the Tesco forum on here, it's a common issue. I doubt it's the phone but I could be wrong. Tesco is a horrendous network.

If Tesco works why not try three? Not much better but I'd not recommend Tesco to my worst enemy.

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's a few videos on YouTube about how to install it by clearing some caches and using a VPN. Worked spot on for me last week when it first rolled out.

Edit - this is the one I followed.

Did you have to go removing the sim and all that?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Did you have to go removing the sim and all that?

I've never had a sim in it.

Kamili wrote: »
    If you go on the Tesco forum on here, it's a common issue. I doubt it's the phone but I could be wrong. Tesco is a horrendous network.

If Tesco works why not try three? Not much better but I'd not recommend Tesco to my worst enemy.

it just could just be ****e area for any network to be honest where i live its outskirts of town less then a mile away but again would need to check where the cell towers are, thou rest of family rarely have issues on tesco or three.

theres this weird message that i get sometimes once rebooting phone: sim not allowed, tried to google for that but its usual posts about phones antenna being weak, and they way its designed to basically cover every network that was supposed to be fixed ages ago :confused: . otherwise i love m1, just them disconnects from network with no notification and reconnect is a burden.

it just could just be ****e area for any network to be honest where i live its outskirts of town.

theres this weird message that i get sometimes once rebooting phone: sim not allowed, tried to google for that but its usual posts about phones antenna being weak, and they way its designed to basically cover every network that was supposed to be fixed ages ago :confused: . otherwise i love m1, just them disconnects from network with no notification and reconnect is a burden.

That's a common Tesco "feature" no signal and SIM not allowed.
    They're using the old 02 masts, which won't be upgraded, and the network is overloaded. So the mast rejects connection from what I can make out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Kamili wrote: »

I do think it's a quirk of a phone. I got that on a Moto G and when I changed phones I never had the issue again. Broke my phone and back on the Moto G and I've had it a couple of times since. Same with WiFi, thought it was my home network, on the newer phone never had a disconnect, back to the Moto G it happens several times a day.

Android 9 officially out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I updated to pie OTA tonight and I'm having 4G problems, many people reported the same issue on reddit and XDA. I wouldn't update to Pie.... stay on Oreo until Xiaomi have released a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hey all,

The missus had this phone before it went for a swim in the jacks :(

She wants the same model again mi A1.

Where's the best place to buy it these days? We got it from amazon.es before.

Thanks

Nalz wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thanks

Is it completely fecked? I have a water damaged one here and the first thing to go was a ribbon cable port on the charging board. Could have been saved if switched off sooner. The battery also shorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Hey all,

Thanks

Put it in a tub of rice for a day or two. Should draw all the moisture out. Then try and charge or switch it on.

Put it in a tub of rice for a day or two. Should draw all the moisture out. Then try and charge or switch it on.

Done all that. Keeps switching off and when it doesnt the touch on the screen is waaaay off.

This happened xmas morning

Is it completely fecked? I have a water damaged one here and the first thing to go was a ribbon cable port on the charging board. Could have been saved if switched off sooner. The battery also shorted out.

Where did you get it sorted or how did you figure that out? Thanks

Where did you get it sorted or how did you figure that out? Thanks

I disassembled it and replaced the ribbon and charge board, but then realised the battery was dead too. If yours was switched off almost immediately, it may still be saveable.

Done all that. Keeps switching off and when it doesnt the touch on the screen is waaaay off.

This happened xmas morning

Sounds like it still has some moisture in there.

• Advertisement

I disassembled it and replaced the ribbon and charge board, but then realised the battery was dead too. If yours was switched off almost immediately, it may still be saveable.

Think it switched off about 1/2 hour later give or take :(

I couldn't even get the cover open... I thought of taking battery out and whiping it down a bit, but couldn't get it open so just left it in rice turned off

Think it switched off about 1/2 hour later give or take :(

I couldn't even get the cover open... I thought of taking battery out and whiping it down a bit, but couldn't get it open so just left it in rice turned off

Yeah, you need a special driver (Pentalobe) and the battery is also glued in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What's with the rice thing. It's an urban myth.

Yeah, you need a special driver (Pentalobe) and the battery is also glued in.

That's me screwed then, pardon the pun

So wheres the best place to buy a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I had one get damp and died, it was on about 45 minutes before I turned it off.
    I put it in silica sand (super absorbant) and it never came back to life.

chrismon wrote: »
    I had one get damp and died, it was on about 45 minutes before I turned it off.
    I put it in silica sand (super absorbant) and it never came back to life.

Yeah, it's shiyt. I just want to replace it for her now at this stage, find out wheres best to get it etc

Lads, really sorry to bump this again, but is there anywhere else I should get this other than Amazon?

I won't buy from eglobal

Thanks

Have you had issues with eglobal?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Have you had issues with eglobal?

I don't want to derail unintentionally again (last time was with the wet phone) but personally I've never used them. I'm going on a friend's bad experience with them and the videos online of similar experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Lads, really sorry to bump this again, but is there anywhere else I should get this other than Amazon?

I won't buy from eglobal

Thanks

Decent selection in Amazon UK warehouse
    1 used like new with just a box damage @ £153

In my experience 'used like new' are sealed items with minor scuffs on the packaging. Easy to return if you are not happy with condition

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B076493W9X/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Still waiting for my pie update. Have many received it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Still waiting for my pie update. Have many received it?

Updated mine just before Christmas, had to go into settings and check for update.

Been checking daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Been checking daily.

I haven't got it and I check daily. Maybe it's to do with the country of origin of the handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I got a notification while out in town that pie was available,so I thought, cool I'll download when I get home. When I did the update had disappeared...

• Advertisement

parttime wrote:
    I got a notification while out in town that pie was available,so I thought, cool I'll download when I get home. When I did the update had disappeared...

Still no sign here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

parttime wrote: »

Same issue here, it's popped up on my screen a few times and when I click to install it says I'm up to date, last update 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

From reading on XDA I believe there are issues with the update so it was probably pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Got the update on my handset last week, MI A1 International version from Banggood.com. Have had no issues so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Xiaomi MI A1 screen protector.

Could somebody recommend one please

• Advertisement
Advertisement