Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi A1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Still no pie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I got the update to pie on 23 December, I have no 4G since. There is some big cock up with the update so assuming it was pulled for the rest of you, I believe Band 20 is gone and I am stuck on H+ since the update. Not so nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Just checked this morning and the Pie update is there :D

Just checked this morning and the Pie update is there :D

Same here! But after reading above I'm afraid to install it :eek:

Ah feck it!!!..... Here goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Apparently, there's a Jan 5th Security patch out now, has fixed the 4g issue some have been having. It doesn't appear to be out in Ireland yet though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Guinea pigs can let us know how they get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Same here! But after reading above I'm afraid to install it :eek:

why? what is wrong with the update?
    I did it.....seems fine so far....

Update installed. Not sure if my data is as good now. Before it used to say 3g and that is as good as I could get. I'm with Lyca. Now it says H+. Are they the same? I have the fm radio alright which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Apparently, there's a Jan 5th Security patch out now, has fixed the 4g issue some have been having. It doesn't appear to be out in Ireland yet though.

Got this patch this morning, 72mb or there abouts. I had no issues with 4G to begin with but installed and the phone is fine to my eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Before it used to say 3g and that is as good as I could get. I'm with Lyca. Now it says H+. Are they the same?.

https://support.freedompop.com/app/featured/answer/id/3238

updated today, havent tried its outside of wifi area yet to check 4g... however....

the very first thing i noticed was pie put the google search ribbon on my homepage.
    it pushes all my widgets up which clogs the screen and hides the wall paper, and i hate a fussy clumsy homepage.
    the text on the home page also appears larger than previously which is not nice.

i cant seem to be able to get rid of this google search bar.

ive disabled it and it reverted to teh factory search bar which is just a black strip.
    its not obviously possible to drag it to a remove option
    and it does appear to be there as a widget either.

any suggestions??

sydthebeat wrote: »
    updated today, havent tried its outside of wifi area yet to check 4g... however....

the very first thing i noticed was pie put the google search ribbon on my homepage.
    it pushes all my widgets up which clogs the screen and hides the wall paper, and i hate a fussy clumsy homepage.
    the text on the home page also appears larger than previously which is not nice.

i cant seem to be able to get rid of this google search bar.

ive disabled it and it reverted to teh factory search bar which is just a black strip.
    its not obviously possible to drag it to a remove option
    and it does appear to be there as a widget either.

any suggestions??
    Nova Launcher?

You can make your own homepage exactly how you want, put in the search ribbon anywhere (or totally remove it, or change it to just a little pill on the side of the screen or whatever you like really)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Just checked and found the update available. Downloading now.

Don't need the FM Radio so might throw it up on Adverts.

:pac:

Feck this stupid search bar. Why the hell isn't it movable?

Do not want. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Feck this stupid search bar. Why the hell isn't it movable?

Do not want. :(

Install a launcher.

Tried the Microsoft launcher... Hated it.

I'll try the nova one soon

Patww79 wrote: »
    Install a launcher.

Yeah, shouldn't have to though.

So it looks like using a launcher is the only way to get rid of the crappy search bar (even making it see through looks sh1t)

Having played with a few, evie launcher is my fav, and closest to the default pie quickstep launcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Is 4g back working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

but1er wrote: »
    Is 4g back working?

Pie is working perfectly for me. Absolutely no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Anyone any issues with mobile internet with this phone? Can't get online this last while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Sure let's risk it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wow, it is ugly alright. The SMS and phone shortcut above all apps really bugs me. Anyway to turn that off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

but1er wrote: »
    Is 4g back working?

My connection flies, but the phone tells me I've H+ and not 3g or 4g

• Advertisement

Android 9 security patch available overnight, dated Jan 5th, 71.5 MB.

Nalz wrote: »
    My connection flies, but the phone tells me I've H+ and not 3g or 4g

H+ = 3g+
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/featured/answer/id/3238

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Anybody with Wi-Fi problems after update? 2.4ghz connection is running horrendously slow (4-5 Mbps) - didn't notice any problems before the update. 5ghz runs absolutely fine (85-90 Mbps), but I was purposely using 2.4ghz previously as it's a better signal in far away spots in the house.

This is on two Mi A1's where I've installed the update in the last few days.

Anybody with Wi-Fi problems after update? 2.4ghz connection is running horrendously slow (4-5 Mbps) - didn't notice any problems before the update. 5ghz runs absolutely fine (85-90 Mbps), but I was purposely using 2.4ghz previously as it's a better signal in far away spots in the house.

This is on two Mi A1's where I've installed the update in the last few days.

For anyone else who is having this problem, turning Location off solves it. I posted on XDA and this came back within seconds. Will report back if I find out more about the issue.

My phone is almost full and I'm trying in vain to transfer films from it to my laptop. Does anybody know how to do this?

• Advertisement

My phone is almost full and I'm trying in vain to transfer films from it to my laptop. Does anybody know how to do this?

Plug it in and select file transfer from the USB options in the notification bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

or use smart switch app, think its more to backup entire phone but allows different sections as well, either way above option should work good as well.

Plug it in and select file transfer from the USB options in the notification bar.

Doesn't recognise that there's a connection at all!

Doesn't recognise that there's a connection at all!

Check with another device that it is a data cable and not just charger, also check that the USB port is working.

Check with another device that it is a data cable and not just charger, also check that the USB port is working.

Maybe that's it I didn't realise there was a difference in the spec of the cables. I'd say all I have are charging cables

Maybe that's it I didn't realise there was a difference in the spec of the cables. I'd say all I have are charging cables
    The cable you got with the phone should be fine. That's what I use.

The cable you got with the phone should be fine. That's what I use.

When you plug the phone into your computer, pull down the notifications on your phone...do you not see any USB options there? 'Charge only' or something along those lines is usually selected by default on mine.

Just plugged a charging lead into the laptop here, scrolled down through the various notifications to

Android system

Charging this device via USB
    Tap for more options

-> USB Preferences -> Use USB for ...

When you plug the phone into your computer, pull down the notifications on your phone...do you not see any USB options there? 'Charge only' or something along those lines is usually selected by default on mine.

I've used the cable that came with the phone but there's been no usb indication in the drop down menu.

Screenshot-20190207-095133.jpg

bahanaman, do you get the notification shown in yellow above when you plug in the usb c cable from pc to phone ?

• Advertisement

Forgot this is USB-C. I don't think there's a charge only USB-C cable like there is for micro USB.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Screenshot-20190207-095133.jpg

bahanaman, do you get the notification shown in yellow above when you plug in the usb c cable from pc to phone ?

No for whatever reason?

well then im at a loss... sorry....

(are you pulling down the option ribbon from the top??)

is it fully updated with andriod pie?

sydthebeat wrote:
    well then im at a loss... sorry....

sydthebeat wrote:
    (are you pulling down the option ribbon from the top??)

sydthebeat wrote:
    is it fully updated with andriod pie?

Yep to both!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I had run into a similar problem when I needed to download a picture from the phone from the handset to a laptop. Thanks for the info here. Problem solved for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Just curious if anyone has bought the mi A1 band watch to use with this phone?

john9876 wrote: »

Are you talking about the Mi Band?

Yeah, I have one until it popped out of the band somewhere and I didn't notice. Works well, sleep tracker seems to be pretty accurate too. Will work with any Android phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Mi Band?
    Yes I was

• Advertisement

Yes I was

I got one for my wife for Xmas. Mi Band 3. It'll work with any android phone. Does all she wants, reads her heart rate, counts steps, tells her about sleep patterns etc. I think it'll display call and text message info too.

They are regularly on sale over on Amazon. Worth setting up a CamelCamelCamel alert

Advertisement