Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Donedeal Ads

Options
  • 12-09-2017 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Has anybody bought stuff from (deleted until substantiated) on Donedeal, i gave a deposit on some Mavic Cosmics and the ad got removed as it eas deemed fraud and conversation(messages)got suspended

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I think you should change your thread title. Too vague. Can't help with your situation but based on what your wrote, there is a significant possibility you won't see your wheels or deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who's ******?

a shop? a person?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Branno

He's a person and seems to have Mavic wheels on and off to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Have you contacted donedeal as to why are was removed and what their view on your deposit is?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Branno

They sent me a mail and said will let me know when they prove if false or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Work colleague of mine had her very nice Di2 equipped bike nicked from her house. Up on DD next day at €700. She contacted the Gardai. They did a sting and arrested the dirty thieving dirtbag, and she has her bike back.
    It was probably naive of me, but i was taken a aback that a stolen bike would appear within hours on DD. I suspect that this criminal mastermind could not give a damn that he might be nabbed by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Slightly off topic....It's too easy to sell stolen or fake goods on DD or adverts. There is no deterrent for theives in sentencing. Most of the time they have kids doing the robbing and they are not prosecuted. Then a few years later these young bucks become the next generation of hard men and move on to bigger and more serious crimes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Slightly off topic....It's too easy to sell stolen or fake goods on DD or adverts. There is no deterrent for theives in sentencing. Most of the time they have kids doing the robbing and they are not prosecuted. Then a few years later these young bucks become the next generation of hard men and move on to bigger and more serious crimes.

Agreed. The terms of these sites are such that they bear no responsibility for aiding in the sale of stolen goods. IMHO, they should not be allowed to get away with this and be forced to bear some responsibility such as seeking reasonable proof of ownership from the seller prior to listing or be held as complicit in the sale of stolen goods where the case arises. They are making there money from these transactions after all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Work colleague of mine had her very nice Di2 equipped bike nicked from her house. Up on DD next day at €700. She contacted the Gardai. They did a sting and arrested the dirty thieving dirtbag, and she has her bike back.
    It was probably naive of me, but i was taken a aback that a stolen bike would appear within hours on DD. I suspect that this criminal mastermind could not give a damn that he might be nabbed by the Gardai.

she got lucky, i know of a similar case where the cops said there wasn't a lot they could do, so the person involved got a few mates together and they went to "buy" the bike. got it back too, was obvious the guy was only a fence and didn;t want any hassle so handed it right over.

guards don't always want to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I quiried a guy selling a lapierre road bike on adverts for €100 - he was asked what year it was - he didn't know, then came back to say it was 2017!! Said he had bought it from a friend - may be true or not - but seemed like either the deal of the century or stolen. Would have retailed for about €800 originally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

smacl wrote: »
    Agreed. The terms of these sites are such that they bear no responsibility for aiding in the sale of stolen goods. IMHO, they should not be allowed to get away with this and be forced to bear some responsibility such as seeking reasonable proof of ownership from the seller prior to listing or be held as complicit in the sale of stolen goods where the case arises. They are making there money from these transactions after all.

While I agree with the sentiment, most of the genuine items sold on donedeal/adverts etc wouldn't have receipts.

I've never sold anything online (other than cars) but if I was to sell anything like bikes/bike parts/faming equipment/forestry gear/clothes etc I wouldn't have receipts for the vast majority.

I'd imagine if DD or adverts starting enforcing proof of ownership some other new site would take the slack.

It's the ordinary's guys suspension of reason or abject stupidity (being kind) in believing something too good to be true is which drives sales.

If I was to try my hand at selling stolen bikes, I'd break them and sell as parts.
    Little bit of work but other than frame nearly entirely untraceable.

When cars break down in certain parts of our 6 county border, they are often never seen again; a real boost to the local economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    I quiried a guy selling a lapierre road bike on adverts for €100 - he was asked what year it was - he didn't know, then came back to say it was 2017!! Said he had bought it from a friend - may be true or not - but seemed like either the deal of the century or stolen. Would have retailed for about €800 originally.
    The amount of decent road bikes where the seller knows nothing at all about them is suspicious. Ok there might be one or two B2W guys who just never got in to it, but the amount of times you see a bike for sale for over 500€ and the seller has no idea why you might need to add what groupset it has, or a drive side photo for example really amazes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I also think there are a lot of people who have no problem buying something they think (or actually know) is stolen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

or a drive side photo for example

Might be exceeding expectations for a large amount of casual bike owners there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »

I think I saw this ad too! Set my radar off straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

One great aspect of selling and buying on Adverts.ie over DD is the feedback on the sellers profiles, makes it far easier to weed out genuine folk from the dodgy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

ford2600 wrote: »
    While I agree with the sentiment, most of the genuine items sold on donedeal/adverts etc wouldn't have receipts.

I've never sold anything online (other than cars) but if I was to sell anything like bikes/bike parts/faming equipment/forestry gear/clothes etc I wouldn't have receipts for the vast majority.

I'd imagine if DD or adverts starting enforcing proof of ownership some other new site would take the slack.

It's the ordinary's guys suspension of reason or abject stupidity (being kind) in believing something too good to be true is which drives sales.

If I was to try my hand at selling stolen bikes, I'd break them and sell as parts.
    Little bit of work but other than frame nearly entirely untraceable.

When cars break down in certain parts of our 6 county border, they are often never seen again; a real boost to the local economy...

Sorry but that happens in all 32 counties. I know the scrapyard where the Alfa 155 which was stolen from me was brought to and cubed. Guards didn't want to know anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Where would one stand if they bought something off dd or somewhere similar but never received the item? Paid by bank transfer abd unsure how or indeed if I can get money back. Only paid 50e to seller but they said item was posted (unregistered) abd as yet not recieved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Where would one stand if they bought something off dd or somewhere similar but never received the item? Paid by bank transfer abd unsure how or indeed if I can get money back. Only paid 50e to seller but they said item was posted (unregistered) abd as yet not recieved

You've no chance if you lodged directly to his account.

You could report him to the gardai but unless he's known to them or at least the account you transferred money to is they probably wont do a whole lot.

Loads of these scams going on through various selling sites for phones etc.

A harsh lesson but never pay by bank transfer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ford2600 wrote: »

That's fair enough, but if you buy something on DD or adverts that is stolen you could be done for receiving stolen goods. I think it is reasonable in that circumstance that these sites could similarly be prosecuted or held accountable for advertising stolen goods. For example, I've reported a bike i knew to be stolen on adverts and got a boilerplate answer back that it was essentially none of their business. As it happened, I also passed the info onto the owner and the Gardaí and the owner got their bike back, but in a case such as this where the site was making money on the back of sale of stolen goods, and had been notified to that effect, I'd expect a more proactive response. In this specific case I saw the bike I liked on adverts at a very attractive price, did a quick check on bikeregister to see if it was listed as stolen, found out it was and acted accordingly. For goods that appear suspicious, sites such as DD and adverts should really be doing this themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement